Fujikura MCI Iron Shaft Review

Welcome to the moonball club!

I will never be moonball approved lol. I think you'll be surprised at the height when we play next. I imagine you'd really get them up there though.

I will never be moonball approved lol. I think you'll be surprised at the height when we play next. I imagine you'd really get them up there though.

Yah 2.6 is hardly any torque.

Yah 2.6 is hardly any torque.

How'd they work out for ya? I saw the other thread, but wouldn't mind some feedback in here for the readers.

Very nice review, I too think that graphite will be considered more of the norm in a couple of years for irons and woods.

Ok I just wanted to share my experience as due to nagging injuries from years past it was time for me to play this game pain free, so I made an appointment with the local club builder who also happens to be both Hawk and I's instructor for the soul purpose of fitting me to graphite iron/wedge shafts. I hit MCI 120 gram Stiff, Steelfiber I95 stiff, and Recoil protos in stiff as well (Don't recall the exact number)

It only took a couple swings to realize I was not swinging a steel shaft. It was an odd sensation. I was hitting in a simulator so hitting off mats usually is felt pretty harshly within the first 30 balls.Feel is relative and is going to be different for every person and how they swing, load the shaft, among various other factors. I will say this is the smoothest feeling iron I have ever hit. Ryan ended up hitting the exact same club a day later outside so maybe he can put some input to this as well.

Numbers don't lie.

Club head speed: 97 MPH avg. This is not meant to be braggart its a baseline for the following numbers.

Launch: 15.7* This was a little higher than I would like but will be cured when I am fit in to the proper x flex.

Spin (Back) 5987 RPM

Distance (Carry) 197 yards

I have a pretty aggressive move and had zero issues with the shaft "keeping up" or any of the other misnomers you hear about graphite iron shafts. The entire setup felt absolutely incredible with the only counterpoint being the price. Numbers are absolutely ideal for any shaft, never mind graphite.

I just pulled the trigger on an entire set of 3-P and 53-57 Degree wedges with these shafts in them. They will be in and built by the middle of next week and I plan to do more extensive testing and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

After hitting off a mat for nearly 1.5 hours I had zero pain the next day. I hope this is a sign of things to come. I play Sat and Sunday every week and spend the next 4 days paying for it.

Last edited:
That was great info dude.

Anybody that doubts the ability of graphite to compete with steel should read that. Especially with so many thprs having played with you and seeing what you can do to a golf ball with an iron.

Surprised, but glad you pulled the trigger. I think you're going to end up very happy.

I'm already a fan of graphite but seeing how much hawk likes these in addition to your positives experience and subsequent ordering has me pondering

When I get my next set of irons, I'm going to seriously consider graphite - at least include it in the fitting. If it gives me better numbers, I'll go with it.

Really good stuff Jrod. These were up there with some of the other solid options I liked quite a bit.

That was great info dude.

Anybody that doubts the ability of graphite to compete with steel should read that. Especially with so many thprs having played with you and seeing what you can do to a golf ball with an iron.

Surprised, but glad you pulled the trigger. I think you're going to end up very happy.

I thought of it like this. What price can you put on health? These fit me perfect and I don't really club hoe any more so they ROI should be great.

Really good stuff Jrod. These were up there with some of the other solid options I liked quite a bit.

I got along with the Steelfibers really well but the weight just wasn't there. These "feel" just like steel but with the added benefit of graphite.

I'm already a fan of graphite but seeing how much hawk likes these in addition to your positives experience and subsequent ordering has me pondering

It's only a small sample so far but these just seemed perfect.

I thought of it like this. What price can you put on health? These fit me perfect and I don't really club hoe any more so they ROI should be great.

I got along with the Steelfibers really well but the weight just wasn't there. These "feel" just like steel but with the added benefit of graphite.

Agreed - I also think you have the potential to get a great deal of use out of them for years if you want to. Anything that keeps you playing and enjoying the game is a good thing in my books.

I've always been a huge fan of Fujikura shafts ever since the original speeder series and then the rombax.

This just solidifies them add one of the premier in the business.

They were actually sort of a non-entity for me for a long time - just based on exposure rather than quality. These were the first product I really spent time with and blew me away in pretty much every respect. Now if I could just get my hands on one of the new Pro Series hybrid shafts. Not that it would make me a beast or anything, but it felt very very nice.

Just received my irons and wedges with the 120g option. Looking forward to contributing to this thread.

Well givea more in depth write up later but i can honestly say health issues aside I will never even consider playing steel shafts again.

Well givea more in depth write up later but i can honestly say health issues aside I will never even consider playing steel shafts again.

You're going to make me find some of these, aren't you?

Been saying it for a couple of years now. THe stigma will die soon enough. The quality is just higher grade.

Yes. You will thank me later!

I've been saying it a while, I would love to go back to graphite full time. Just have to find the right weight and launch I'm looking for.

I've been saying it a while, I would love to go back to graphite full time. Just have to find the right weight and launch I'm looking for.
You and me both. Said something to Canadan about how tempting a aerotech apex combo would be but these are intriguing as well.

You and me both. Said something to Canadan about how tempting a aerotech apex combo would be but these are intriguing as well.

The aerotech was a nice option but the feel of these is just miles ahead IMO. That's all relative i guess though.

The aerotech was a nice option but the feel of these is just miles ahead IMO. That's all relative i guess though.
I'll have to try them out the cause you have my attention now

I've always been underwhelmed by the feel of the aerotechs, a lot to be honest. The Recoils felt great but weren't the flight I wanted, maybe these are the best of both. I need to hit Hawk's.

I've always been underwhelmed by the feel of the aerotechs, a lot to be honest. The Recoils felt great but weren't the flight I wanted, maybe these are the best of both. I need to hit Hawk's.
I agree. Although I dont love the feel of the USTs either. Programs for me if I have a choice.

Back