Wilson Staff 8802 Milled Putter - THP Preview

"Available in RH only at this time."
In the first post under "About the Milled 8802". Let me know if that has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the recent info on the putter, previous info was that there will be a LH model as well. From what I'm gathering now though there have been some more delays and issues from when they initially intended on releasing the 8802, could be part of it. On the site they are showing RH models only up for purchase, will see if I can find out more.

Double checked the information that W/S gave us from the initial release plans, RH/LH. Odds are, a delay has happened on the release or something changed as JB updated the first post, I'm betting W/S contacted us about it.

Good! This will make a really nice surprise for my dad methinks. He looooves his old school 8802

Good! This will make a really nice surprise for my dad methinks. He looooves his old school 8802

Edited my post above Taylor, appears things have indeed changed.

Edited my post above Taylor, appears things have indeed changed.

I'm a bit confused about the edit. So no plans on releasing them at all or they are but just delayed for an unknown time?

I'm a bit confused about the edit. So no plans on releasing them at all or they are but just delayed for an unknown time?

Unclear at this time.

JB Did you get a chance to take the 8802 back out to complete your thoughts on this putter.I imagine with the holiday it has been a bit busy.
So, got this one out today, rolled it for a round as well as some putting green time. Went 14/17 for 31 putts on the day, only one 3 putt today and that was complete user error.

Its a blade. Shocker, right?

Its true though and bears keeping in mind, it is a classic design, considered by many to be THE classic design and rightfully so, its gorgeous. But when you set it up behind a golf ball, you know what you have. The footprint is small and behind a ball you realize the size difference from most popular designs we see in use today, perimeter weighting isn't a thing with the 8802. When you miss heel or toe side you feel it in the hands, you hear a difference, and you see a pace change.

The milled 8802 is definitely more modernized with the sweetspot being located in the middle of the blade and not more to the heel/hosel side like the original versions. This was ID'd by the sound/feel difference, off the center its quite a plush click that is very pleasant and fitting of the aesthetics, off the heel you get more harsh vibrational feedback to the hands and a much more dense click at impact. Additionally, the rollout difference is there.

Its a beutiful putter, the reduction of surface area in contact with the ball makes for a wonderful audible variance and many will be surprised by it, it isn't "soft" by most standards but rides directly in the middle of the spectrum, a really good place to be.

The roll is consistent, but you can miss with it, the sweet spot is not expanded because there is not perimeter weighting, but solid strokes are rewarded by solid rolls. Also, the lack of an alignment aid could be hindering to some, but for me it was really nice, its you, the ball, your eye, and your chosen line.

Going to get out more tomorrow at a course with some really varying greens front to back 9 and see how the adjustment goes. More thoughts then.

As always, if you have questions, feel free to ask away!

JB Did you get a chance to take the 8802 back out to complete your thoughts on this putter.I imagine with the holiday it has been a bit busy.

That is Jman, I am JB. Sadly I do not have this putter. :D
Just busting your chops, Jman will update very soon I have a feeling.

Jman, sorry and thanks.

Great stuff. Love the history that was in the 1st post. My dad gamed an original. And, I got to use it as a teen. This headshape and the PING A-Blade were what I grew up with.

JMAN,
What's the weighting like?

Back