TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Anyone tried to make there own mini-driver....by cutting down a regular driver to 43 1/2"? Or would this throw the weighting off too much?

That has been discussed in several threads about these mini drivers/deep Fairway woods about using a standard driver that is cut down
It will work and the swing weight can be adjusted with lead tape if you want but i don't think you could feel a difference
The advantage to the Mini driver is that it retains playability from the deck and is more forgiving on the tee than standard 3 wood

This is basically the thriver type club I have been looking for for a while, at least clubhead size and shaft length wise. But, I demoed one this week and was a little disappointed. My daughter who has always been a Taylormade fan had the same response. We just could not get past the sound and resultant feel at impact. To us felt a little like hitting a ball with an empty coke can. Really too bad since I really wanted to like it since it was what I have visualized for a long time.

This is basically the thriver type club I have been looking for for a while, at least clubhead size and shaft length wise. But, I demoed one this week and was a little disappointed. My daughter who has always been a Taylormade fan had the same response. We just could not get past the sound and resultant feel at impact. To us felt a little like hitting a ball with an empty coke can. Really too bad since I really wanted to like it since it was what I have visualized for a long time.

Have you tried the TP the shaft on the TP seems to work better for some

Have you tried the TP the shaft on the TP seems to work better for some
No it was the regular version of both. Maybe I can give those a try.

Anyone tried to make there own mini-driver....by cutting down a regular driver to 43 1/2"? Or would this throw the weighting off too much?
I have the SLDR 3w shaft in my R9 currently. After purchasing the mini and liking it so much I gave this a try and so far love it. I'm long enough that losing a couple inches off the shaft didn't really affect me, maybe a few yards if any, as I believe I'm more consistent contact with the center of the face with the shorter shaft. I use the driver on the longer par 5s and par 4s and the mini on the other holes I when I want to get it out there in distance. I find I can draw the mini easier then the driver and use it when I try and shape a shot.

I have the SLDR 3w shaft in my R9 currently. After purchasing the mini and liking it so much I gave this a try and so far love it. I'm long enough that losing a couple inches off the shaft didn't really affect me, maybe a few yards if any, as I believe I'm more consistent contact with the center of the face with the shorter shaft. I use the driver on the longer par 5s and par 4s and the mini on the other holes I when I want to get it out there in distance. I find I can draw the mini easier then the driver and use it when I try and shape a shot.

Thats really interesting. I might have a try of this with my R1, does anyone know if the RBZ tour 3w has the right connection or even a SLDR 3w to fit the R1?

Thats really interesting. I might have a try of this with my R1, does anyone know if the RBZ tour 3w has the right connection or even a SLDR 3w to fit the R1?

RBZ stage 2 and SLDR adapters will work you will lose the loft written on the sleeve

My new 3 wood turned up today (x2 hot non pro). Kills the sldr mini. 15-20 yards longer and easier to hit off the deck. For the price I paid for it it is an absolute steal. Better sound/feel than the sldr too! Still like the shape and size of the mini but the performance was not there.

My new 3 wood turned up today (x2 hot non pro). Kills the sldr mini. 15-20 yards longer and easier to hit off the deck. For the price I paid for it it is an absolute steal. Better sound/feel than the sldr too! Still like the shape and size of the mini but the performance was not there.
Deep or regular x2hot?

A guy I was playing with today was using a R9 at 44.25"....and he was bombing it!

So after the round I cut my R1 from 45.5" to 44" today.....created my own mini-driver. Putting it in play tomorrow

A guy I was playing with today was using a R9 at 44.25"....and he was bombing it!

So after the round I cut my R1 from 45.5" to 44" today.....created my own mini-driver. Putting it in play tomorrow

Not really a mini driver just a shorter shafted driver there have been a few threads where people have done that the idea of the mini is to maintain more playability off the deck but be more forgiving off the tee

I think that TM using Driver in the name has not helped this club it seems to confuse lots of people

I would guess that the shallower face gave you a cleaner strike off the deck but the shallower face will not be as forgiving off the tee

I would guess that the shallower face gave you a cleaner strike off the deck but the shallower face will not be as forgiving off the tee

I had no issue hitting the mini off of a fairway lie. Slightly less forgiving off the tee but not as much as i thought.

Deep or regular x2hot?

I had the deep originally and the two things I didn't like were lack of the chevron and it wasn't very forgiving. It was really long when you got one though. For me, the aldila blue is sooooooo much better than that crappy fulikura 57 in the mini.

I had the deep originally and the two things I didn't like were lack of the chevron and it wasn't very forgiving. It was really long when you got one though. For me, the aldila blue is sooooooo much better than that crappy fulikura 57 in the mini.

I know this is better suited in the Callaway deep thread but I find the 3deep crazy forgiving. Where were you missing that it wasn't forgiving?

I had no issue hitting the mini off of a fairway lie. Slightly less forgiving off the tee but not as much as i thought.
If the daft is the issue why not just replace the mini shaft and see if that helps

I know this is better suited in the Callaway deep thread but I find the 3deep crazy forgiving. Where were you missing that it wasn't forgiving?

Obviously a different part to you ;)

Low contact and out of the heel. Much better result (at least for me) from both the x2 and the mini. Off centre hits in the mini go basically as far as centre hits.

A sad day here ... Had mine out the bag and it fell in the garage, and the wife parked the car tire right on top of the handle ... So a new shaft is in the works soon ...

A sad day here ... Had mine out the bag and it fell in the garage, and the wife parked the car tire right on top of the handle ... So a new shaft is in the works soon ...
Ouch that sucks

Getting rid of that shaft could only make it better, it does suck though if it fit you well.

At least you weren't holding the club when she ran over it.

Thank you for whoever told me to fit the tour green into this club! Totally transformed it into an animal now!

Thank you for whoever told me to fit the tour green into this club! Totally transformed it into an animal now!

Your welcome that shaft has been amazing in all of my clubs

Just bought the SLDR mini 14 degrees....this is a very solid club...dumped my G25 4 wood on the spot...feels super solid and pretty long and much straighter than the RBZ 3 wood I had....dont think I could hit my R1 driver much further than this club.

Back