First set of clubs? $1,600?

Andy216

Reaction score
Handicap
??
I have been taking lessons for a few weeks, and I am loving it so far.

My my teacher broached the topic of buying clubs. He suggested getting a set of Bridgestones that I would "grow into." Point being that if I got cheaper clubs, I would likely want to upgrade relatively soon.

The he set he suggested would run me $1,600. But he would include an annual membership with the purchase.

I expected to to pay about half that (but with no membership).

Thoughts?

Was my expectation of price too low? Or is he trying to sell me something that is a bit more than what I need?

Don't do it.

I'm not at all a fan of "growing into clubs", to me, get what you are comfortable with from the start, whatever that may be as its incredibly personal. But if you keep looking at a club while struggling thinking "I'll grow into it" its just going to end up being frustrating IMO.

My recommendation with your first setup, get your specs and shop around. Use eBay, use other sites, consider used rather than new. Save yourself some coin that you can continue to invest into lessons, you'll be glad you did.

Annual membership to what? What's the breakout between the clubs and whatever the membership entails?

Hit a bunch of clubs, then decide. "Growing into" clubs sounds like a recipe for frustration, IMHO.

It may be me, but I would shop for the clubs YOU want and and price them separately from the club membership. While $1600 for an entire new bag is not really out of line, you can spend half of that as you are hoping to and end up with some very good clubs that are almost new if not new as well.

Don't do it.

Agreed. Don't get caught up in a "package" deal. This sounds like something that benefits him more than you.

When ready to get new clubs, go through a fitting with a certified fitter and IMO someone that doesn't have a financial gain depending on you ordering certain clubs.

Growing into clubs to me is like saying I'm going to get blades to improve my game because they give better feedback on my misses, goofy and lame. Get what you will ENJOY now, the point of the game is to enjoy it NOW.

Annual membership to what? What's the breakout between the clubs and whatever the membership entails?

The golf course. Runs $1,100 a year.

With a membership, all golf and golf cart rental is included.

That at would bring the cost of the clubs to $500, but I didn't plan on buying a membership, so it's not really as significant a savings.

Agree with many on this. If you have to grow into clubs, there are a few assumptions.

1) they are not right for you at the moment

2) there will be growing pains in the short term

3) there is no guarantee that you will grow into them

That's why I hate "growing into" clubs.

Interesting deal. On paper it actually sounds good. I can see why you are pondering.

Those clubs aren't all that friendly to beginners though.

Hit a bunch of clubs, then decide. "Growing into" clubs sounds like a recipe for frustration, IMHO.

I guess at this point I am not sure what I am looking for. I have hit different brands during the lessons. The Bridgestones are the ones I have hit farthest and straightest. That said, I am only hitting 5 irons and 7 irons so far.

I can say there are some that don't feel right. But others feel about the same.

The money part of this sounds like a good deal but the advice about the clubs is horrible. Bridgestone makes A+ clubs (I play their irons) but are they right for you? I am not a fan of growing into clubs, I think its an overplayed concept that is unnecessary and leads to frustration.

Interesting deal. On paper it actually sounds good. I can see why you are pondering.

Those clubs aren't all that friendly to beginners though.

What type of clubs should I ask to be hitting?

The money part of this sounds like a good deal but the advice about the clubs is horrible. Bridgestone makes A+ clubs (I play their irons) but are they right for you? I am not a fan of growing into clubs, I think its an overplayed concept that is unnecessary and leads to frustration.

That also includes a bag as well. Not sure if that is standard or an add on.

That's not an easy one to answer, but something with more forgiveness would be my first answer. Depending on how high you hit the ball, you could get some help with trajectory too.

Adams and Wilson both make very affordable sets that are very forgiving, especially if you get older models.

Is it a full bag of Bridgestone clubs or just the irons?

Lots of great options out there, Callaway XHot, TaylorMade Speedblades, or even last years RocketBladez, Ping G25, Cleveland Altitudes, Cobra Bio Cell to name just a few.

You fill find threads on just about all of those if you search the reviews.

Full bag. Putter, driver 3 and 5 wood. Pw. Irons. Bag.
Okay then $500 for the clubs is a heck of a deal. But it makes the "are these clubs right for me" question even harder because you have to grow into the whole set, not just the irons, and that seems pretty unlikely.

What about buying used?

Any negs? Things to look out for?

What about buying used?

Any negs? Things to look out for?

I would say if this is your first set it wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd just make sure they are some where in your specs. Play for a year or two get a swing grooved and then get fitted for some.

There's a lot you can do but $1600 for a new set as your first I don't find it useful or realistic.

The golf course. Runs $1,100 a year.

With a membership, all golf and golf cart rental is included.

That at would bring the cost of the clubs to $500, but I didn't plan on buying a membership, so it's not really as significant a savings.

Not a bad deal if you were already getting a membership, but since you are not...then I would pass. I agree with everyone else. Growing into clubs will just lead to frustration until you can grow into them...if you ever do. Try a bunch of clubs and buy what you can hit now.

Back