2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fitness has taken a backseat from this nagging knee I have been dealing with for the last month and a half. I've had to focus on healthy eating.

Same here. At least mines doesn't hurt when I actually run, just going up/down steps.

Ran 5 miles on the beach this morning (in 60 min, so this is pretty slow slogging). Just working on form and breathing and moving forward for now.

I debated posting this or not, but I figured with how much I rely on this site I might as well get it out there.

When THP did the 90 day healthy eating challenge thing awhile back I lost about 35 pounds in 3 months. I was absolutely floored at the progress I made, but I worked really really damn hard for it. Too hard I think. I went from eating fast food a couple times a week to not touching anything remotely fattening for 3 months and I think my body lost it. I have really fallen off the wagon since then. Making poor choice after poor choice, watching my hard work go down the drain and almost being complacent about it.

I weighed myself this morning and I was almost back where I started. My goal is going to be to get back to where I was after that contest, but I am going to go about it quite a bit differently this time around. I am going to drink the occasional beer and eat the occasional hamburger. I wont make the perfect choice every time, but during the week I am going to make sure I try not to make the unhealthy choice very often. If I allow myself the occasional cheat meal I think I will do a lot better in getting myself back where I was.

Thanks for listening to that little rant.

I debated posting this or not, but I figured with how much I rely on this site I might as well get it out there.

When THP did the 90 day healthy eating challenge thing awhile back I lost about 35 pounds in 3 months. I was absolutely floored at the progress I made, but I worked really really damn hard for it. Too hard I think. I went from eating fast food a couple times a week to not touching anything remotely fattening for 3 months and I think my body lost it. I have really fallen off the wagon since then. Making poor choice after poor choice, watching my hard work go down the drain and almost being complacent about it.

I weighed myself this morning and I was almost back where I started. My goal is going to be to get back to where I was after that contest, but I am going to go about it quite a bit differently this time around. I am going to drink the occasional beer and eat the occasional hamburger. I wont make the perfect choice every time, but during the week I am going to make sure I try not to make the unhealthy choice very often. If I allow myself the occasional cheat meal I think I will do a lot better in getting myself back where I was.

Life on the road is not very conducive to healthy eating. A big part of it for me is being able to plan my meals. This way I dont end up scrambling and making bad choices. In the end, for you, making the best choice possible more often than not and exercising will help you tremendously.

You can do it Taylor. Give yourself something to look forward to on the weekends and the healthy choices are easier to make during the week.

Thanks guys. It isn't the working out that is the problem, I actually enjoy that part. I am going to get back to making good choices, and I will continue to update the thread with my progress. Plan on weekly weigh-ins on Mondays.

Thanks guys. It isn't the working out that is the problem, I actually enjoy that part. I am going to get back to making good choices, and I will continue to update the thread with my progress. Plan on weekly weigh-ins on Mondays.

My personal trainer has a great saying and its something that alot of people could learn from. "Make better bad food choices". If you are traveling and get in a situation where you are starving and the only thing around is McDonals per say. Get a hamburger and some apple slices instead of a Big Mac and fries. (Just an example). Find a Subway. Just try to do the best that you can. It wont always be perfect but just keep at it.

Taylor, one thing has helped me a ton with diet. Lower cal breakfast and lunch, with a dinner I actually want to eat. I figure if I can get through the day on a good note, then I can't really do much, if any damage at night.

I'm right there with you buddy. I have gone through stretches where I won't touch any fast foot for months. However those stretches seem to be few and far between now. I'm about 25 lbs heavier than I was last January. It's not a great feeling at all. I get on and fall off the wagon faster than anyone I know. Been doing better as of late, and I have set a goal for myself that I want to meet by the time I get down to PGA National.

Can you give me an example day Hawkster?

I'm right there with you buddy. I have gone through stretches where I won't touch any fast foot for months. However those stretches seem to be few and far between now. I'm about 25 lbs heavier than I was last January. It's not a great feeling at all. I get on and fall off the wagon faster than anyone I know. Been doing better as of late, and I have set a goal for myself that I want to meet by the time I get down to PGA National.

Same with me buddy. It is a pretty difficult goal for me to reach, but I find I do better pushing myself towards something much more difficult. I need to work hard and stop making excuses.

Same with me buddy. It is a pretty difficult goal for me to reach, but I find I do better pushing myself towards something much more difficult. I need to work hard and stop making excuses.

I'm full of them. Sometimes it gets tough for me with work, like last summer and fall I was on the road 4 days a week with a group of people. You can make all the better bad choices you want, but when it's fast food 2x a day 8 times a week, it doesn't work well.

I have t25 - did it every day for 3 weeks and then the holidays came.
I have Joey D golf - doing it right now.
I have p90x - did it for 2 weeks.
Every fall I start running, do the couch to 5k and run in a 5k or 2 at the end of the year. After the last race, I don't run again till next fall.
My newest thing is buying an excercise bike. Something I can set up in my back bedroom and do 30 minutes or more on 5x a week.

Ya dude I would love to do insanity again, but living on the 3rd floor of my apartment I would piss a lot of neighbors off doing it. I am going to stick to the tried and true methods of eating better and going to the gym, because when you boil it down to its simplest level... Calorie output > calorie input = weight loss.

Same here. At least mines doesn't hurt when I actually run, just going up/down steps.

Ran 5 miles on the beach this morning (in 60 min, so this is pretty slow slogging). Just working on form and breathing and moving forward for now.

Which beach are you at?

I wish I could run or do any type of physical activity. Pretty limited right now, running and going up and down stairs are difficult. Interesting enough it hasn't affected my golf swing any, although reading putts has been interesting. #spidermanstyle

Can you give me an example day Hawkster?

Sure thing.

Breakfast:

Special K Breakfast Sandwich - quick and filling - 190 cal
8 oz skim milk - 90'ish cal

Lunch:

Subway Club Sand - no cheese - 650 cal or so.

Snack:

Carrots - nothing

Dinner:

Some sort of grilled meat and a bunch of vegetables. Maybe a 1/2 cup of rice pilaf or something.

The other thing I do, which may not be as easy for you, is make a big pot of vegetable beef or chicken w/ brown rice soup on Sunday. I eat that pretty much exclusively for lunch and maybe a dinner for 3-4 days. Super healhty and guilt free.

Breakfast is the big thing for me. If I can get out of breakfast with not many calories, but still full enough to make it to lunch I'm golden. Those sandwiches are money.

I am going to be in town a lot more over the next few months so I will be able to do some stuff like that. Do you have some sort of recipe for that soup Hawk or just something I can search for online?

I am going to be in town a lot more over the next few months so I will be able to do some stuff like that. Do you have some sort of recipe for that soup Hawk or just something I can search for online?

I made this last night actually. I will bring it for lunch a few days during the week. Just brown the meet and pour everything into a pot. Boil and then let simmer for 20 minutes and its done.

http://therecipecritic.com/2012/11/skinny-taco-soup/

I'm thinking that isn't the right link Dev

Ricky you should throw that Taco Soup recipe in the recipe exchange thread. Looks damn good

Yeah I dont know what happened. Should be working now.

Sure. Very easy.

Ingredients:

-Stew meat
-A plastic bottle of tomato juice like this
campbells-tomato-juice-67676.jpg

-Two cans of green beans, one of corn, a bag of frozen peas.
- A couple potatoes.

-Simmer the stew meat in a quart of water for about an hour to 90 minutes or so.
-Cube the potatoes and add them with the tomato juice. Cook 30-45 minutes.
-Add the veggies and season with salt and pepper. Cook until it comes to a boil and pull it off.

Chicken Soup is easy too, though a little more work. Again though - you've got something that will last for days.

Ingredients:
Whole chicken
Celery, carrots, onion
Instant brown rice.

-We cook the chicken in a crock pot on low while we're at work.
-Strain the broth and let the chicken cool.
-Cut up the veggies and sweat them in a tiny bit of oil over medium heat.
-Cook 1 cup of the brown rice. Takes like 5 minutes.
-Pull apart the chicken.
-Add broth to the veggies and add teh cooked rice. Let it boil a while to really let the rice soak in the goodness.
-Season with salt and pepper and add the cooked chicken.

You can also add peas or mushrooms or whatever.

Ricky you should throw that Taco Soup recipe in the recipe exchange thread. Looks damn good

I think I have before but I will do it again. Its about 200 calories per serving. I use Turkey chop meat to save some calories and low sodium taco mix.

Taylor, no joke, sign up for a weight watchers account. It will give you access to a great app and help you set goals and and help you reach them.

You'll find that the biggest culprit is portion sizes. The app will help you tone down your portions. It really is a lifestyle change, so you may as well do it right instead of taking shots in the dark

I've been bigger and stronger since but when I was in the best shape of my adult life was in 2001. At 5'8" I was 195 lbs and 6% body-fat.

I was following the EAS Body For Life Challenge. Although my workout was a hybrid of mine and theirs, I followed their diet to a T.

The one thing that I thought could never work was their recommendation of one cheat day per week. That's a cheat DAY, not meal. If I wanted a huge hunk of cheesecake for breakfast, I ate it. Pizza for lunch, steak for dinner, apple pie for dessert. Whatever, I didn't hold back.

What it provided, most importantly, was a short circuit for any desire to binge or even cheat a little during the other six days.

I'd recommend this as a jump start for you with the idea that you're not in a sprint but a lifelong marathon. If you spend less energy desiring results yet apply your thoughts toward revolutionizing your lifestyle, the results will just happen naturally... and permanently.

Nobody can maintain perfect discipline, not even with a glorious cheat day. But you can change your lifestyle. Only, your view must become much less results orientated vs enjoying the journey.

Think of it as a vacation via an RV vs a plane. Those who take the plane are obviously destination oriented. Whereas with those who travel by RV, sure the arrival is satisfying but the real memories and the highlight of the travels were always in the journey itself.

Good luck.

I am happy with the work I have put in this year but I have slacked the last few weeks. The nice thing is I have been able to maintain the weight loss. I need to move the the next step of lifting some weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back