Kansas City area must play courses

hey Kansas City folks...i wanted to share some info on a new indoor practice facility in the Kanas City area.

The Golf Academy at Parkville Commons

a good friend of mine just opened this up. he is a quality instructor and this should prove to be very popular to beat the winter golf blues.

How's is this going for him? I saw the website a couple months back as he was still building. Unfortunately, I can't even afford to look at the front door of a place this nice.

I'm bumping an old thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on the following courses? I am planning an all guys trip out to KC in Sept and we are looking to play 4 rounds (36, 18, 18). Any definite yes or no votes? Any others I'm missing. I played Swope tons of times when I was out there for work a few years ago, so dont want to play there.

North Side - Tiffany Greens, Shoal Creek
East Side - Stone Canyon, Drumm Farm, Adams Pointe
South Side - Sycamore Ridge, Golf Club of KS, Iron Horse, Prairie Highlands

I played Iron Horse several years ago, but heard they redid all their greens. Makes me leery, but I enjoyed it the first time I've played it. If it helps, we are staying on the Plaza, and know we will be driving up to 30 mins in each direction.

Of those I've only played Tiffany, Shoal, Prairie Highlands and Adams Pointe. Prairie is a nice course, as are Shoal and Tiffany, but I don't think Shoal is worth the price they charge for admission. I'd rather use that to play elsewhere, like Drumm or Stone Canyon. All I remember about Adams Point is that it was the worst round of golf I have ever played in my life, but the course itself was kinda nice.

I have played Shoal Creek, Drumm Farm, Adams Pointe, and Iron Horse. All four of these are very nice, but my favorite two of these 4 are Shoal Creek and Drumm Farm. Both are beautiful courses. Iron Horse is still nice, but the greens aren't in amazing shape.

I live right next to the plaza as I go to school at Rockhurst so besides Swope you aren't looking at too many that are that close. Like I said those 4 are all nice courses and Im sure Smallville and some of the others can help you further.

dubbledxu,

I've played all of the courses you're considering. Tiffany Greens and Shoal Creek are definitely the best choices for the north side. I played Tiffany a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Shoal Creek is considered to be not only one of the nicest courses in the KC area, but in the state.

As for the East side, Stone Canyon is a good choice, and Adams Pointe is nice as well. I just played AP on Monday (7/11) and found course conditions to be very good. I would drop Drumm Farm from your list. I played there in a tournament last Sunday (7/10) and found the course to be in poor condition. The green were very beat up, which you might expect given all the play it gets, but upkeep of the sand traps has been totally ignored. Most traps have no sand in them at all. Very disappointing. If you are only going to choose one from the east side, I would recommend Stone Canyon. I would also suggest you take a look at Winterstone. I've been a member there for two years. I think you would find the layout - especially the first six holes - to be as challenging as anyting in the area.

As for your southside choices, you couldn't go wrong with Sycamore Ridge or Prairie Highlands. I'd also suggest you consider Creekmoor. Iron Horse is just ok, and though Golf Club of KC offers some nice history, I don't think you'll find the actual layout to be that interesting. Nice to walk where Watson did, but frankly the walk itself is not that great.

Of the ones you're considering, I would suggest the following: Tiffany Greens, Shoal Creek, Stone Canyon, Prairie Highlands.

Have fun.

dubbledxu,

I've played all of the courses you're considering. Tiffany Greens and Shoal Creek are definitely the best choices for the north side. I played Tiffany a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Shoal Creek is considered to be not only one of the nicest courses in the KC area, but in the state.

As for the East side, Stone Canyon is a good choice, and Adams Pointe is nice as well. I just played AP on Monday (7/11) and found course conditions to be very good. I would drop Drumm Farm from your list. I played there in a tournament last Sunday (7/10) and found the course to be in poor condition. The green were very beat up, which you might expect given all the play it gets, but upkeep of the sand traps has been totally ignored. Most traps have no sand in them at all. Very disappointing. If you are only going to choose one from the east side, I would recommend Stone Canyon. I would also suggest you take a look at Winterstone. I've been a member there for two years. I think you would find the layout - especially the first six holes - to be as challenging as anyting in the area.

As for your southside choices, you couldn't go wrong with Sycamore Ridge or Prairie Highlands. I'd also suggest you consider Creekmoor. Iron Horse is just ok, and though Golf Club of KC offers some nice history, I don't think you'll find the actual layout to be that interesting. Nice to walk where Watson did, but frankly the walk itself is not that great.

Of the ones you're considering, I would suggest the following: Tiffany Greens, Shoal Creek, Stone Canyon, Prairie Highlands.

Have fun.

Good call on sycamore ridge, its a bit of a drive from KC but definately worth it. The back 9 will eat you up if you arent hitting the ball well. KU and Mizzou fans agreeing on something, haha

My co-workers and I will be down there next week. We are looking for a nice course around the Overland Park area, but, probably keeping cost at or below the $50 range. What are your preferences between Prairie Hills and Sycamore Ridge? Prices look about the same, and both look to be "links-style" courses from what I can tell on website. What are the pro's and con's of each? Or would there be a different course in the area that would be preferable? Thanks for the help!

dubbledxu,

Have fun.

I played Creekmoor yesterday (using a Groupon) and it might be the nicest course I've played in KC. The fairways and greens were immaculate with some THICK, THICK rough (not very long but thick). The greens were definitely slower than Tiffany Springs, but noth shaggy by any means. Better shape than Ironhorse, Praririe Highlands, Tiffany Springs, & Sycamore. I havent played Winterstone or Stone Canyon yet this year, but it was perfect. We got rained out after 13 holes and was able to get a raincheck.

I played Prairie Highlands several years ago. I don't remember many details about the course, except that it was very fun to play and was in really good shape. (Of course, that was years ago.)

For BBQ, go to Arthur Bryant's, possibly Oklahoma Joe's. I know many people swear by Gate's, but I'll politely say that I don't care for it.

Kansas City area must play courses

a group of us from Iowa go to the kansas city area every spring to kickstart our golf season. we usually stay and play at Adams Point in blue springs. we have played adams point, stone canyon, tiffany greens, and swope memorial... i have been googling and racking up a list a mile long of courses we should play.

anybody have any input for courses we should give a try. Or courses we should definately stay away from.. haha..

thanks for the heads up THPers...

Tiffany, Prarie Highlands, Ironhorse are probably in my top 3.

I really recommend creekmoor it actually might be my favorite but it is a bit expensive

I merged this with a previous thread but kept the new title.

I had mentioned Falcon Lakes earlier and want to bring it up again. Very good links style course near the Speedway.

Stone Canyon is supposed to be a tough, good track designed by Greg Norman, that is one of our sister courses also. I haven't gotten out there yet though.

Painted Hills is closed until next May while they are rebuilding the course. It will be a beauty when it re-opens. It's shorter than some because it has six par threes, but is still a good challenge.

Tiffany Greens I have only played once but it kicked my tail. Same with Adams Pointe. It didn't kick my butt as bad as Tiffany, but I only played it once.

I merged this with a previous thread but kept the new title.

I had mentioned Falcon Lakes earlier and want to bring it up again. Very good links style course near the Speedway.

Stone Canyon is supposed to be a tough, good track designed by Greg Norman, that is one of our sister courses also. I haven't gotten out there yet though.

Painted Hills is closed until next May while they are rebuilding the course. It will be a beauty when it re-opens. It's shorter than some because it has six par threes, but is still a good challenge.

Tiffany Greens I have only played once but it kicked my tail. Same with Adams Pointe. It didn't kick my butt as bad as Tiffany, but I only played it once.

thanks for merging. I need to do a better job of searching before a new post. Falcon Lakes was on our to do list last year, but after the drive to tiffany from adams point, we decided that we'd just play adams the following morning. We will be looking to stay at adams point again, or at a hotel closer to tiffany greens. so it's going to be a trip where we either play courses within 20-30 minutes of tiffany area, or 20-30 minutes within the adams point golf course area.

stone canyon was a blast. a very nice track. clubhouse was under construction but is supposed to be well on it's way to being finished by next spring. We didn't play the tips, but it still played fairly long and the greens were immaculate. weather was cold that day though, that was the only drawback.
If I had to choose from our little experience golfing down there, tiffany greens is the MUST PLAY. again, SC, is a very close second, but if I had to pick one tiffany gets the nod.

shoal creek, and falcon are on the list and look very sweet online. might look into staying closer to tiffany next time around.

Just found this thread. Anyone else have a goal to play every course in KC besides me? I'm around 3/4th completed with my goal. Did you guys know that if you go outside of the metro 10ish miles, drop a circle and start counting that there are over 60 courses available including private and public together?

My top 10 in the Kansas City metro that I've played (based only on the course design and conditions) in no particular order:

Creekmoor Golf Course
Stone Canyon Golf Club
Nicklaus Golf Club at Lionsgate
The Golf Club of Kansas
Staley Farms Golf Club
The Deuce at The National
Shadow Glen Golf Club
Winterstone Golf Club
Milburn Golf and Country Club
Ironhorse Golf Club

Some of these courses would drop based on staffing and experiences I've had in the past but in a vacuum these would be my current Top 10. There really are a lot of great options in our city to play golf!

Last edited:
Great list. I feel like a bum. I love the area, but the only course on your list I have played is Shadow Glen, which is gorgeous. I need to play more courses next time I am up there!
18817462.jpg

Great list. I feel like a bum. I love the area, but the only course on your list I have played is Shadow Glen, which is gorgeous. I need to play more courses next time I am up there!
18817462.jpg

I really enjoy Shadow Glen. The conditions are typically really good. There aren't homes on every hole (most but not every). There are so many different shots to play on that course, and the hole layout varies so much throughout the round. If someone said I had to become a member at a private facility in KC it would definitely be on the short list.

Only 4 of the 10 courses are private, although there were plans to take Stone Canyon, Creekmoor and The Golf Club of Kansas private, I don't think they have yet though. Let me know the next time you are in the KC area, with enough notice I'll make time to play some golf. We are definitely lucky to have a lot of options for golf in KC and the pricing varies as well. People don't look at KC as a golf destination but it really could be if it was marketed correctly.

My 2 favs last year were Creekmoor and Stone Canyon. Always in great shape, difficult but fair, and never had pace of play issues.

I've played Deer Creek once. Unfortunately, only the front nine was open because they were aerating the back. It was also cart path only and they had aerated the front the day before. Nice course even with the greens and extra walking. Still played 18 in under four hours.

I want to get out and play some of these tracks this year. I have played Creekmoor, Tiffany, Dubbs, Drum Farm, Prarie Highlands, Ironhorse, and Winterstone

I really want to try Deer Creek and Stone Canyon

I want to get out and play some of these tracks this year. I have played Creekmoor, Tiffany, Dubbs, Drum Farm, Prarie Highlands, Ironhorse, and Winterstone

I really want to try Deer Creek and Stone Canyon

I haven't been to Deer Creek since they tore down and rebuilt their greens, the pace of play can be slow at times. I've only played Stone Canyon once but I enjoyed it a lot.

I have played it and it is a decent course but not on the level of these others mentioned by any stretch

I have played it and it is a decent course but not on the level of these others mentioned by any stretch
You pick one and let's get a date scheduled!!!

Alright buddy I got a few in mind. Let me know what dates look good for you and we can set something up

Back