Trying To Break 90 Club

Shot a 90 on a new course in ridiculous wind and then shot an 88 with a 10 on a par 4(2penalties)

The game seems to be coming around and I like it

I will admit I am very afraid to post on this thread ... but I feel like I am finally ready to start breaking 90 ... been taking lessons and several rounds 95 and below ... even an 88 last weekend ...

I went to the course today wanting to break 90 instead of a 100 ... felt good!

I just hope posting does not jinx me.

92 today ... Let one hole get away from me with an 8 ...

I did not get the feel of hitting out of the tee box for the first 13 holes, then it was like, oh yes ... Stay connected, clear the hips, swing for right center field ... Until then it was trying minimize the effects of a short slicing drive ... Happens with I swing with my arms and try to direct the ball ...

But with only 3 active brain cells, and their busy with breathing most of the time, it's takes awhile to remember my swing mechanics

I am close ... I just feel it ...

(Note to golf gods: please don't jinx me for posting on a break 90 thread)

My game is on the verge of a break through.
88% of fairways hit... BUT, THREE 3 puts, and SEVEN (7) bunker shots on 4 holes. Shot 92.

For the love of the golf gods, allow me to get out of the bunker!

My game is on the verge of a break through.
88% of fairways hit... BUT, THREE 3 puts, and SEVEN (7) bunker shots on 4 holes. Shot 92.

For the love of the golf gods, allow me to get out of the bunker!

88% ... That is good ... I am close to the fairway 88% of the time :act-up: While not exactly on the fairway all the time, for the last 4 rounds, all drives where playable ... That's a big number for me ...

@geneticiistx I would look look for a course with limited bunkers!

Finally broke 90 this weekend twice. Shoot a 84 80 this weekend. Smooth swing and great irons will help you a ton.

Followed last Tuesdays 84 with an 85, 46-39. I'm hitting more fairways so that has boosted my confidence!

Almost there to breaking 90, shot a personal best this year 91 (45/46) today. Just fix a couple mis-hits and burning the edges on putts and it's under 90. However though I did for the first time beat one of the guys I golf with, brought a big smile to my face.

Almost there to breaking 90, shot a personal best this year 91 (45/46) today. Just fix a couple mis-hits and burning the edges on putts and it's under 90. However though I did for the first time beat one of the guys I golf with, brought a big smile to my face.

Always good to beat your golfing buddies! You are right there.

Tied my pb today; 87!!!!

Big Bertha and the Apex irons are a deadly combo. Overall a great round....putting was atrocious though. 37 putts!!!! ughhh

Good thing I am doing an SPi fitting/lesson soon!!

New PR 86 on Saturday. My putting and irons are carrying the day because my driving is getting erratic. 6 GIR, 34 putts, 5 FW if I remember. I love not having 40+ putts.

two rounds in a row now. Yesterday was 84, today 85.
biggest change i made was completely slowing my shots off the tee down to the point where they feel like i'm swinging in slow motion. Funny thing is, my drives are going further.
Next thing is to cut my shaft down to be playing at 44 1/4".

If my next two rounds stay below 90, i think i might start to venture over the "trying to break 80" thread :)

biggest change i made was completely slowing my shots off the tee down to the point where they feel like i'm swinging in slow motion. Funny thing is, my drives are going further.

If my next two rounds stay below 90, i think i might start to venture over the "trying to break 80" thread :)
Wow congrats, ill try to work on that slower tempo

Wow congrats, ill try to work on that slower tempo

Congrats on the low scores and it's amazing how much better everything is when you slow it down. I just can't get it in my head to do it all the time.

Congrats on the low scores and it's amazing how much better everything is when you slow it down. I just can't get it in my head to do it all the time.
Yeah, the crazy thing is that we all know it works, we just dont do it

86 yesterday and 85 today. Good stuff! Just have to keep being consistent!

Went out tonight for a free round (club house was closed) and played 45 from the back tees, 20 putts killed me today

Played all three days this holiday weekend with scores improving every round... 99, 96, and 94. The 96 started out with a 51 on the front and a 45 on the back mainly due to a rusty driver swing that I fixed half way through the round. The 94 (47/47) could have been in the 80's but I put a few drives in bad locations and a couple chips left me with unnecessary long putts.

92 this weekend ... knocking on the door! My iron striking is really good ... just got to get the driver going better ...

Total meltdown, gone completely in the wrong direction. Shot 96 3 weeks ago...went on vacation and left my swing at home. I was shanking and chunking EVERYTHING. Played 9 to warm up one day...shot 60!!. Thought it might be a fluke and I'd work it out another day...shot 127. Followed that up with a... 117. I mean I wasn't even close. There was another round that would have been in the 120's but was mercifully cut short by a thunderstorm.
My avg. is mid to high 90's, I've broken 90 twice. I have no idea what happened, nothing felt different. I have no confidence in any club (except my putter, that's actually working well- 36 and 30 on 2 rounds). The wheels didn't just fall off...they fell off, caught on fire, bounced back and hit me in the face. :banghead: :banghead:

Frustrating round yesterday. A 42 on the front, followed up by a 49 on the back. THere's no reason I couldn't have had at least a mid 80's round out of that so I am annoyed at myself for letting that one slip away.

frustrating round yesterday, played a new course and haven't seen worse conditions in a long while, plus most of the pins were stupid, within 3 feets from the fringe... ended up with a 99, with 4 penalties due to hazards I didn't see or tought they were further...

ball striking was ok, but the course beat me.

Shot a 96 and a 97 over the long weekend. The 96 was on a course I should have shot in the high 80's low 90's but a 10 on 10 didn't help. Took 4 tee shots to get it in play. I feel that I should be breaking 90 on a regular basis, but whenever I get on the course I can't hit straight to save my life. I am constantly left with pitches back to the fairway, or worse, oob.

I tried to play Sunday, but got just over half way through when rain forced us off the course. It wasn't going well anyway, so I was able to cut my losses. I haven't played in a few weeks and tried a course that I haven't played in over a year that has most of the fairways heavily lined with trees. I finished the front 9 with a 50. I was my own worst enemy though.

I can typically count on 5-7 poor iron shots a round - either fat or thin. I had 3 on the first 9 holes.

I've played a small fade and/or pull for some time and recently switched instructors who immediately got me hitting draws. I've had one lesson with my driver and can't get it to perform just yet, but I used it on the front 9 anyway. The result was horrible, quite a few push shots and 2 push slices. In all I ended up with 2 penalties from going out of bounds with the driver, and 1 penalty from hitting a 3 wood on a second shot on a par five.

The 3 wood penalty followed a drive that was a push that left me right on the right edge of the fairway. I attempted to aim the 3W down the right and hit a draw and ended up with a straight shot that landed just inside the brush where I lost the ball because there was a steep bayou a few feet into the brush. I mishit the 3 wood on a long par 5 probably due to overswinging it and sent it a whopping 20 yards or so. I hit it a second time resulting in a 230 yard hit with a slight push that landed right of the green. The push didn't cost me, because any shorter club and I would have been hitting again to get on the green anway.

I also hit my approach shot on the first hole into a green side bunker that was compacted and almost had no sand from all the recent rain we've had. I've never hit in a condition like this and tried to treat it like a normal bunker shot, but was denied by the bunker as little sand moved which moved the ball only a few feet. I hit the ball again treating it like a normal chip, hitting the ball first and made it out of the bunker and onto the green - though far enough from the pin that it still required 2 putts.

Because of my concerns with the driver I was playing noodle long & soft, bridgestone e6, and precept laddie x balls and hit 2 approach shots onto greens (both from just over 100 yards) that rolled off the back/side of the green. I also landed one on a 180 yard par 3 on the right side of the green that rolled off the back. So I think I hurt myself by not using a ball with a little more green side spin.

For the positive - My putting was on track to be average as I ended the front nine with 17 putts. I also saved par on the 180 yard par 3 with a chip shot to within a foot of the pin. I also made birdie on the 8th hole, a ~360 yard par 4. The hole has water crossing it at around 230 yards, which forced me to use a shorter club than my driver or 3 wood. I hit my 4 iron flush with a slight draw 180 yards and hit it flush again 180 yards onto the front of the green. The pin was at the back of the green and the ball rolled 10+ yards across the green to just about 2 feet past the pin. I was able to make the putt for birdie and felt like a pro doing so. I wish I could conjure up these skills more often.

I had plans to keep the driver in the bag for the second 9, but the rain didn't allow for that. I believe that by doing so that I would have kept the back 9 to under 50. I have a lesson tonight and plan on working on it further. I'm either going to have to get it down a little better, make some temporary adjustments to make it work for now, or not use it until I can improve with it.

I don't think I'm capable of limiting the 5-7 poor iron shots per round at this point in my game, especially with the irons I'm currently playing. I plan to order the SLDR irons as I was recently fit for them as soon as Taylormade's custom order option is back online (I've heard this week or next). They are a little more forgiving then the AP2's I have so that may help some with mis-hits, and they will be fitted to me versus the standard set I have now. They will also dramatically increase my club distances which will help limit my desire to use the 3 wood off the deck as often, which I still struggle with.

Making these two adjustments should help minimize my stupid mistakes and keep me in the 90's. If I can get the driver corrected I think I will be in the mid to high 80's consistently.

My long term plan to get me into the 70's includes improving my short game to get me closer to the pin and lower my putts (I average 34-36 even with a lot of long putts per round). After that I'll have to work on being more consistent with my irons so that I can get closer to the pin on approach shots as well. Hopefully consistency with the 3 wood off the deck will come with time and practice, but it's not a focus for me right now.

New driver ... Cobra, and I shot an 88 today! Truly feel like the 100s are behind me now ...

Back