Couples Nights/Leagues

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
What does your course do for couples? Jacqui and I are putting together a Couples Night in July at our course and have just been sending out teasers about it on Facebook, and the following picture in an email blast tonight. We want it to be fun for everyone, and not a real competitive thing because we don't want significant others getting frustrated and disinterested because we want this to evolve into a league next year. For the first one we are thinking a simple nine hole two person scramble. We have talked to a lot of couples we have seen golfing, and interest seems pretty high for this and we want to make it into something big next year.

I have some ideas of how to do this whole thing, but want to hear from others who might be involved in this kind of thing at their course.

10430399_10152270644629538_7283571392580043811_n.jpg

My club has couples night a few times a year around the summer long weekends. We typically play a 9 hole alternate shot event with dinner after. I think it would depend on the skill level of the golfers but I'm not sure I like a couples scramble. If I'm playing with my girlfriend 90+% of the shots would be mine and I think that would frustrate her. At least with alternate shot her shots actually matter.

We were originally going to just do a regular stroke play event, but after Jacqui played as our alternate on our Men's League Alternate Night (and we scrambled), she fell in love with that game! So she wants to do it again! She did feel she contributed because she would put a drive out there in the fairway so Luis and I could just go pound it. Plus we used one of her drives and a few of her approaches and putts.

But that opinion is what I am looking for, and will help determine what game we actually play. (We are also going to do drinks and dinner/snacks afterwards. We will also do a shotgun start so we can all finish about the same time.

(We are also going to do drinks and dinner/snacks afterwards. We will also do a shotgun start so we can all finish about the same time.

It sounds like you are on the right track, IMO an event like this is all about fun and possibly meeting some new people. We also do a shotgun and with alternate shot we put 4 couples on a hole and use it a bit as a member mixer.

The local muni does a couples league on Friday night - best drive plus alternate shot into the hole, with a shotgun start. I haven't played in it, but it seems like it would be a pretty quick round, and depending on what the crowd was like, a fun place to hang out Friday night.

I would think the alternative shot would be best. It keeps both partners involved so one doesn't feel like they're not contributing or doing all of the heavy lifting.

I've also thought it may be interesting to play where Partner A tees off and putts on a hole, while Partner B plays all of the shots in between. The roles switch on the next hole.

My club has couples nights. Either 9 hole scramble or best ball. Dinner or snacks afterwards and maybe a wine tasting.
Always a shotgun start.
Another course that we have participated for couples nights have themed nights and fun little games appropriate with the theme.
Last year they had a Pirate night where one hole you had to putt with a hook on one hand and another hole you played with an eye patch on.

One place does a "Wine and Nine" which includes ~45 minutes of wine tasting, followed by a non-competitive 9-hole shot-gun round. This club (open to public play) also has a couple of glow ball events during the summer on their par 3 course...I haven't done this one yet).

Another is more of a social mixer to meet other members 3-4 times per year. Play 9 holes with a random couples then have dinner.

Last year we joined our club, and the wife wanted, to my surprise, play in the couples league...I was stoked, as she is a lot of fun to play golf with!!! My wife is an engineer by training and is not the most social person, but she really wanted to do this, which has been a ton of fun!!

here are the various formats we have played (all unique some great, some odd)

Week 1- 4 person scramble (use each players drives twice)
Week 2- Shamble (use all 4 scores)
Week3- Couples Alt. Shot (men odd holes) red tees for all + 2 mulligans or throws per person
Week4- any 2 Best Ball (foursome)
Week 5- 3 clubs + putter (use any two Best balls)
Week 6- Best Ball Men + Best ball Women (1 mulligan or throw per person)
Week 7- Par 3, Use 4 scores (played from junior tees)
Week 8- Couples mixed Scramble (must use 3 drives/person)
Week 9- Chapman (2 scores)
Week 10- Army Golf (2 person scramble)
Week 11- Best Ball of foursome: 2 mulligans or throws per person
Week 12- Men scramble/women scramble
Week 13- Step back Scramble- (whoevers drive/shot you use cannot participate in next shot)

These have all been interesting, and created lots of conversation each week to, in some cases simply try and figure out what the rules are :)

additionally, we have longest putts and closest in two awards...each night, we also have a dinner in the club house for the couples to hang out...for us, being new members, it has been fantastic just to get to know people and get involved...and shockingly, my wife also entered into the match play championships, as well as womens league...needless to say, LOVE seeing her have so much fun and enjoying the club so much...

Last year we joined our club, and the wife wanted, to my surprise, play in the couples league...I was stoked, as she is a lot of fun to play golf with!!! My wife is an engineer by training and is not the most social person, but she really wanted to do this, which has been a ton of fun!!

here are the various formats we have played (all unique some great, some odd)

Week 1- 4 person scramble (use each players drives twice)
Week 2- Shamble (use all 4 scores)
Week3- Couples Alt. Shot (men odd holes) red tees for all + 2 mulligans or throws per person
Week4- any 2 Best Ball (foursome)
Week 5- 3 clubs + putter (use any two Best balls)
Week 6- Best Ball Men + Best ball Women (1 mulligan or throw per person)
Week 7- Par 3, Use 4 scores (played from junior tees)
Week 8- Couples mixed Scramble (must use 3 drives/person)
Week 9- Chapman (2 scores)
Week 10- Army Golf (2 person scramble)
Week 11- Best Ball of foursome: 2 mulligans or throws per person
Week 12- Men scramble/women scramble
Week 13- Step back Scramble- (whoevers drive/shot you use cannot participate in next shot)

These have all been interesting, and created lots of conversation each week to, in some cases simply try and figure out what the rules are :)

additionally, we have longest putts and closest in two awards...each night, we also have a dinner in the club house for the couples to hang out...for us, being new members, it has been fantastic just to get to know people and get involved...and shockingly, my wife also entered into the match play championships, as well as womens league...needless to say, LOVE seeing her have so much fun and enjoying the club so much...

I love this one. I think we'll use it in ours. Which, by the way . . .

We officially announced our Couples Night. Hope we get a decent turnout. Here's what we decided for this first one.

You guys from the KC area, you're all invited.

10487351_10152283824429538_8727048003692801480_n.jpg

Cool!! Look forward to hearing how it goes!!!

We had our first Couples Night this evening, and the weather decided to turn hot. It was pushing 100° when we started at 6 PM!

But everyone who signed up, showed up, and we had a total of 13 couples including Jacqui and me. I didn't do pairings ahead of time, since I wasn't sure how many would show up due to the heat, so I paired up people as they checked in, but I made sure the employees (we had 6 play) didn't play together (aside for Jacqui and me, of course). We had four contest holes, closest to the pin for both men and women, longest drive for women and shortest drive for men! We had a grand prize winner, but we simply drew scorecards for that. Feedback was that everyone liked the format and are in for doing this again. We did a modified shotgun, going off 10, 18, 17 and 16 and just playing the back nine.

We are looking at two weeks, and going to change the day to Saturday, partly because the days are getting shorter, and because less people will have issues getting to the course after work. We'll be changing the start from 6 PM to 5 PM.

How do you define a couple? :confused2:

(Sorry had to ask ... My wife made me)

My wife after a lot of pestering has decided to play golf with me. We are playing in a 9 hole night golf scramble at the local executive course. Should be a blast.

Our "Fun Night" has a two-person scramble... with 10 feet of string. After the golf, dinner and live music in the clubhouse.

...For the first one we are thinking a simple nine hole two person scramble.....

Our "Fun Night" has a two-person scramble... with 10 feet of string. After the golf, dinner and live music in the clubhouse.

A couple of the ladies mentioned the string and said it was more thinking than they wanted to do! They liked it plain and simple.

Live music wouldn't work in our clubhouse because it is the pro shop with tables for eating, not separate areas.

My home course has started this. Unfortunately we couldn't make it last night but my wife and I will definitely check this out for the next occurrence. She has had a lot of fun in her beginners' league this summer and at the LIITA event in May. I'm glad that your event went well and hope that you keep it going!

LymanCouplesJuly2014.PNG

Our second couples night is tomorrow, as long as it doesn't rain us out.

The owner of the courses is coming out to play in this one.

It was a fun night, even though I won the shortest drive contest hole! I gave the prize, a sleeve of balls and a cap to someone at random since Jacqui and I don't need to win anything. We did shoot one over par and we did make a birdie when Jacqui sank a 15 footer. I played like crap most of the night!

Afterwards everyone hang around and ate food from the fryer and drank wine and beer. We had a special drink called Liquid Marijuana. Find the recipe and try it, it's an awesome drink. I held off on doing prizes because everyone was having a good time eating, drinking and talking and I knew as soon as I did them, the party would be over. Finally it was time, and we gave out the prizes for the three contest holes, and then drew scorecards for the grand prize, which Jacqui and I decided on a Painted Hills cap, poker chip and Weathersoft glove.

The owner, who was there, decided it needed more, so he threw in a round of golf for four at any of his properties, which was a cool gesture. After the drawing, he gave a little speech and gave Jacqui and me a standing ovation which made everyone else do it too. It was very humbling and very very cool. It was nice to see that he really understands all that she and I have been doing this summer.

We're still doing this, all last year and this year. Tomorrow night is going to be the first time we are going to actually get to play this year though. Hopefully that boosts the attendance some.

Three other couples showed up, but the weather forecast was not good. It began raining on us on the ninth green and the group behind us got poured on on the ninth tee.

Last edited:
We have one more scheduled in October. Unfortunately it has to be on a Saturday so Jacqui and I can't play in it. Hope to get Jacqui a weekend closer so we can play in the group more often. We only played once this year I think.

We normally have a Friday afternoon 9 hole scramble. We have a couples club championship in November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our last event of the year is on Sunday afternoon. 18 holes for the same price as our 9 hole events. We already have 16 couples for it! If we have an odd number then Jacqui and I will play. Otherwise we will drive around with the beverage cart.

d21406e95dd1b782056126af02f6cca2.jpg

Back