JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I have a question for the THPers out there. Most of us love our golf equipment. We love the game and the lifestyle. We spend endless amounts of time talking about honing our gear to match our games and get the most out of it.

Let's say you stumbled across a golf ball on the course with a brand you had never heard of, or maybe you had heard about them but did not even know they made golf balls. You got to play it for a couple of holes and you saw more distance and more spin than you have seen in the past.

Lets say you took that ball to a launch monitor and again saw more distance off the tee and ridiculous amount of spin greenside. Then you found out it was a new ball coming to market and it was $100 a dozen. Could you spring for it?

It would have to be light years longer and crazy spinny. There are enough sub $30 balls on the market that make it hard for me to justify $45 dozens.

Okay, I have a question for the THPers out there. Most of us love our golf equipment. We love the game and the lifestyle. We spend endless amounts of time talking about honing our gear to match our games and get the most out of it.

Let's say you stumbled across a golf ball on the course with a brand you had never heard of, or maybe you had heard about them but did not even know they made golf balls. You got to play it for a couple of holes and you saw more distance and more spin than you have seen in the past.

Lets say you took that ball to a launch monitor and again saw more distance off the tee and ridiculous amount of spin greenside. Then you found out it was a new ball coming to market and it was $100 a dozen. Could you spring for it?

never, I don't liek to pay a lot for a ball that I will throw into the woods in a heartbeat

Could I spring it...yes

Would I...Nope

Not for something I could lose in abundance in a quick amount of time.

The return on investment is just not there for a golfer such as myself

Wow...very interesting question. But I'd have to say not a chance for me. I lose two to three balls a round, so that's about $24 a round on lost balls. I'll lose the distance and spin, and save the money for now.

If I ever got to the point where I never lost a ball during a round, I'd consider it.

No chance.

Could I? Yes. Would I? No!!!! Is this just an idea that you had or are you skirting around the Dixon Fire golf balls?

No way! I'm still bothered by spending the 50 for the premium balls of today. Balls and tees are consumables when it comes to golf. Would you pay twice as much for a roll of paper towels if they were quicker than the quicker picker upper?

I just don't think I could justify it. I can easily justify new driver, irons etc because I can always dump them and get a portion of my money back. The fact that on any given swing that ball could be lost or get scuffed on a cart path, not sure I could pull the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! I would because I'd be curious if it was a fluke couple of sessions or if it was all real. 10-15 yards is be in golf, that's a club to club and half longer. I'd have to assume those would be my gains

Could I? Yes. Would I? No!!!! Is this just an idea that you had or are you skirting around the Dixon Fire golf balls?

:confused2:
Dixon Fire Golf Balls dont cost $100.

Not a chance, I balk at spending $45 and thank God they last a while. $100 dollars is crazy.

No way! I'm still bothered by spending the 50 for the premium balls of today. Balls and tees are consumables when it comes to golf. Would you pay twice as much for a roll of paper towels if they were quicker than the quicker picker upper?

Interesting analogy because I think studies show most do. Most buy the name brand vs the generic because they work better, right?

Just imagine how much longer people would look for their balls than they already do now...

Only way I could make it work is if, beyond the improved performance, there were a tracking/homing beacon to help me find the darn things when they went off-line. Like said above, balls are consumables, not durable goods, thus the manufacturer has no incentive to make the balls last longer.

No way man. I know I have lost a Titliest or a Srixon and just play a Top Flite ball and start playing amazing. No golf ball ball is going to be in play for me unless I find it on the course. Way to much money, and about 95% of the time it's the user's fault ball isn't doing what it's suppose to do.

It would have to have gps tracking in it, float on water and be guaranteed scuff free for like 2 years on top of just being longer and spin more.

No. Well, not until it went on deep clearance and hit 67% off!

I would never say never. HeeHee. For something like the Morgan Cup or #theGrandaddy, I'd probably spring for them if they really gave me that much of an advantage.

Absolutely not.

I have a hard time paying over $30 for a dozen today.

Unless it was anti-scuff, floated, and had a GPS chip where I could always find it. Maybe then I would.

I struggle with spending over $30 for a dozen. I would never in a million years spend $100 on golf balls. I lose them way to often and/or they wear out. If you could guarantee me that they would never wear down then maybe I would consider it but more than likely would still never spend that much.

Unless they only go straight and I never lose one...no way. Not to mention I'm already stocked on 300-RX's in the event of a zombie invasion.

I think a more interesting question would be how much better performance would you have to see to pay for $100 golf balls. If I am getting 10-15 more yards with this $100 ball, I would still not buy them. The way I drive the ball, all 12 would be lost after 2 rounds.

I probably wouldn't, but I have learned from here to "never say never" when it comes to equipment and would probably be interested if it was really that good.

No way. I just bought some Wilson Staff balls cuz they're cheap and lets be realistic if I'd lose one of those expensive balls I'd be very upset and it would probably take the fun out of the rest of the holes for me. For $100 I'd rather buy a another club.

Back