The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

Get a good home inspector and some that you trust, totally worth it. My wife and I bought an older home and it is starting to come back at us..... I will have to take pics for you guys. Needless to say the last couple days have been rough.... UGH

Hate hearing that dude.. Nothing worse in the home buying process than the inspection and everything around it. ugh.

We aren't paying it up front. Initially we were going to put 10% down but looking at the numbers with 10% down and paying PMI and 5% with the PMI paid off were virtually the same. The monthly payments came out almost identical. In the end, we were anticipating all these doctor bills and uncertainty with our daughter so we decided to just take it on the chin with the PMI and pay it and have the money in the bank. I wanted nothing to do with PMI and wanted to do a conventional loan but things came up and the down payment basically got cut in half. We are just going to have to suck it up. It is time we get our own space.
Well congratulations on the home. I'm sure you have worked with some very knowledgeable people so anything I say is going to sound dumb. But 12k for closing costs is crazy. We are currently building a house and the bank set our mortgage papers with an estimated closing costs of $4k. I sure hate the PM I. 20% down is almost unrealistic with today's home prices. Don't get me I would love to be able to but it's just not in the cards.

Well I am not sure what's going on with the inspection of our house. We had a few minor things that the inspector said we needed to do but when we got the offer from the buyer it's some stupid stuff and then he wanted another $400 to fix the back door.

I just laughed. There is nothing structurally wrong with anything in the house. So if he wants to replace the door that's on him. I'm not paying you for a new door. Some people.

Other good news is that our inspection on the new house was very good with one small thing to have looked at. Just hoping we can get this packing and moving down swiftly and smoothly.

Very good point. The counter point to that would be now all issues are your responsibility. Plumbing issue? No landlord to call. Something breaks? No landlord to call. So a few thousand dollars in savings per year is actually necessary.

Oh absolutely. Thankfully I have my father who is Mr do it yourself and has taught me a ton. I helped him put an addition onto my parents house when I was a young teenager. We did everything except masonry for the foundation. I love doing projects around the house so we save big time on labor costs. We've done plumbing, electric, fixed our hot water heater, replaced some parts on or hvac blower etc.

I agree that if one isn't handy and must pay contractors for everything than those costs quickly can surpass any savings from renting.

Thats awesome Joe.

Well I am not sure what's going on with the inspection of our house. We had a few minor things that the inspector said we needed to do but when we got the offer from the buyer it's some stupid stuff and then he wanted another $400 to fix the back door.

I just laughed. There is nothing structurally wrong with anything in the house. So if he wants to replace the door that's on him. I'm not paying you for a new door. Some people.

Other good news is that our inspection on the new house was very good with one small thing to have looked at. Just hoping we can get this packing and moving down swiftly and smoothly.

What was the exact write up for the door?

Yeah I'm extremely grateful for everything my dad has taught me about home improvement and repair.

What was the exact write up for the door?

It just said it needs a support board under the threshold. But the buyer wants to replace the door. Would we have to be on the hook to paying him to replace it?

It just said it needs a support board under the threshold. But the buyer wants to replace the door. Would we have to be on the hook to paying him to replace it?

Do you have a local contractor you've worked with before? If so, get him to give you a quote on the work and see if it jives with what the buyer is asking for.

Are they buying with with a standard loan or fha loan? If it's fha, they may not be able to get final approval for their loan until the issue is resolved

Do you have a local contractor you've worked with before? If so, get him to give you a quote on the work and see if it jives with what the buyer is asking for.

Are they buying with with a standard loan or fha loan? If it's fha, they may not be able to get final approval for their loan until the issue is resolved

I haven't worked with any contractor. There has never been a structural problem with our house. Just looking at doors generally you can buy one for about $300-$375. So not sure where he wants the $400 to "assist" for replacement of the patio door.

Pretty sure he is getting a conventional as I have been told he will be putting 20% down up front. So not sure why he wants so much in closing and then all this other money to fix things that has never caused a problem for us.

Finally got confirmation that we are closing next Friday. Moving everything on Saturday. We are nervous but excited to finally have a place to call our own. I can't live with these idiots another second longer. Went to bring out the garbage and got a handful of maggots this morning from the nasty crap they put out that has been sitting in their apartment for probably a week. I come home and they threw a whole bunch of boxes on the side of the house. The freaking recycling is already out front. I took the boxes and put them on the hood of their car. I just don't care anymore.

It's almost done! And then you can talking about fun home owner stuff, like having your pipe back up and have the garbage disposal shoot vegetable peels out the back of your washing machine the 3rd night you're in the house!

Hate hearing that dude.. Nothing worse in the home buying process than the inspection and everything around it. ugh.
Thanks. It really is tough because you never really know what is behind walls until you tear them down. We are dealing with some of these issues now. Not much you can do about it

Thanks. It really is tough because you never really know what is behind walls until you tear them down. We are dealing with some of these issues now. Not much you can do about it

So what are you dealing with, bud?

The simple solution..

Beer-Isle-at-Detroit-Meijer.jpg

So what are you dealing with, bud?
Water in the basement and we thought it was from a horrendous job by the pervious owners of meshing a sun room to the existing roof. That was just the beginning of the problems had more water near the bathroom thought it was lack of a mud pan when they installed the shower that is part of it. I opened up a wall yesterday and Yup more water..... I put my hand through so much wet drywall it is very concerning.

Ugh. Water issues are probably the worst thing to deal with as a homeowner

The simple solution..

Beer-Isle-at-Detroit-Meijer.jpg
Oh there will be plenty of that for sure. I am pretty handy but a lot of this stuff is beyond my skill level haha

Since you're in another state, you'll need to verify with your local agent the contract rules up there. However, I can tell you for comparison purposes that in FL, repair limits are for things that are non cosmetic in nature. A support board would seem like it would require fixing because it at least sounds important (I've never had that written up on a report though ever so I couldn't tell you.) Replacing the entire door would be like replacing the entire floor because a tile is cracked. Uh. No.

If it's cheaper to replace the door vs that support board though, that might not be a bad recommendation. I highly doubt that though...

Since you're in another state, you'll need to verify with your local agent the contract rules up there. However, I can tell you for comparison purposes that in FL, repair limits are for things that are non cosmetic in nature. A support board would seem like it would require fixing because it at least sounds important (I've never had that written up on a report though ever so I couldn't tell you.) Replacing the entire door would be like replacing the entire floor because a tile is cracked. Uh. No.

If it's cheaper to replace the door vs that support board though, that might not be a bad recommendation. I highly doubt that though...

Thanks buddy. Yeah we are trying to get in touch with out realtor but she is dealing with some family issues right now though. I think she will agree with you but we shall see.

She'll get it settled and recommend the best plan of action. She should anyway.

I personally get to do some negotiating from 35,000 feet tomorrow and that kinda sounds fun.

Yeah it sucks, we have to deal with structural issues here... So I understand your pain

We close tomorrow!! Wooo!!!

Then it's a weekend full of cleaning, painting, packing, and moving. Awesome.

Congrats!

I dont envy the second part. Painting is the bain of my existence lol

Congrats!

I dont envy the second part. Painting is the bain of my existence lol

I feel that way as well, however the colour decisions these people made will be a tremendous relief to get rid of hahaha!

Back