The state of your game?

After getting over a bout of sciatica in April (something I've never had before) my game has steadily improved. I was a 6.2 GHIN and have dropped to 5.5 and am trending down.

I started reworking my swing last August and I've gotten to the point where I can trust it, it's repeatable AND I know what I'm doing wrong when a bad swing comes along. This has helped with the consistency of my rounds but another main factor has been better course management and committing to every shot as much as possible.

The part of my game that needs to improve the most is still my chipping and pitching. I am lights out on the practice green but still am not carrying that confidence and decisiveness over to the course. But it is getting better. My last round was not spectacular - 80 from the back tees (7,289 - 73.5/131) but was the first round this year without a double bogey or 3 putt. Also no birdies, but they're don't usually stay away for long. :)

Right now putting is killing me. I have the occasional hiccup with my tee game or irons, but consistently putting is hurting my score.

Getting better! Things to work on but improving

The current state of my game is pathetic. But! Improving slowly. I only get to play 9 holes per week after work and no practice in between and no lessons so there's that. Maybe one day. I'm just out to have fun. and try to lower my score little by little.

I'm pleased with every aspect of my game except for shots in the thirty to fifty yard range, just not hitting them as close as I should, puts a lot of stress on my mid range putting.

Unfortunately it is not exactly where I wanted it to be at this point. Since Indianapolis in late May, my golfing has effectively gone down to once a week and one range/practice green session. It hasn't allowed me to be consistent and really see improvement as I have to continuously play/practice to see that. However, I have noticed a couple things.

- With the new equipment, I know what to expect and have been playing the best golf of my life.
- I still need some more evidence that my game can travel, but 2 rounds in the 70s this year at THP events is a good sign. This was a huge goal of mine at the beginning of the year.
- Handicap is currently 3 points lower than it was at it's lowest last year, still consistency lacks and I have huge blow ups.
- Short game still needs quite a bit of work, but it's getting there. Long game/irons are typically good and putter is streaky.
- Experience and seeing holes from different perspectives, knowing my faults, has allowed me to somewhat keep form. I look for a solid month and a half of tuning my game before the Bridgestone Championship to see where I really stack up.

I'm finally playing golf instead of thinking golf. My swing changes I started in late March and slowly integrated into early May are finally natural. I now need to get to the point where I trust my swing. I'm playing a pretty strong draw now and I miss left of target quite a bit since I'm not trusting the draw enough to aim far enough right.

Also need to learn and then trust my new distances. Have gained 5 to 8 yards with each club.

Short game is still decent but not where it was for #theking. Need to get back to a solid short game practice plan each week.

Bunker play needs work. Putting can always use work.

Really need to identify what it is mentally that contributes to the blow up holes I continue to have. I could easily be a 6 index if I could cut blow up holes by 75%. Usually have 4 per round.

I've given up a membership, not "practiced" at all and play much less than last year, and I have played some of the best golf of my life lately. Go figure.

I'm pretty happy with my game. I think playing less has actually helped relieve some nagging minor injuries, to my left knee and my left thumb. If I was smart and could stay away from golfing for a couple months, I may actually benefit more. Don't see that happening though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry, I would love to get a lesson with Mark. I know you were really excited about it and it seems to be really paying off for you. 5-8 yards? That's substantial!

JM

I feel like I am where I wanted to be when July rolled around,I feel like my irons and putting/chipping are the best they have ever been, I also feel like my course management is so much better, I am thinking my way around the course better and it is beginning to show in my scores. Overall,I am happy, but I still feel the urge to continue to improve.

After getting clubs that more so fit my swing (flex, forgiveness, and lofts for gapping) I can say my game has improved a good deal. had a HORRIBLE slice which has been more or less fixed. Still have one or two bad drives a round but I am working on it. Beggining of the year i would hit 60-65 on 9 holes I have brought that down to an average of 52.3 for 9 holes on my home course. I have in the end changed out my Driver, Fairway Wood, Hybrids, and now as of today my putter. Have yet to take any lessons as I do not feel they would benefit me just yet, I need to find my own swing before I try to work problems out. I am hoping by the end of the season to bring my average for 9 holes to under 50. But as long as I am still out with friends, and making new ones, having fun golfing I will take what ever score I earn. I have to thank this site and everyone one on it for a lot of what has changed for me and my game this year, between the constant encouragement and everyone always being willing to help it has made a huge difference. Can't wait to actually meet some fellow THPers.

I set out to be at an 18 be the end of the year, which is November 14th for colorado. Unfortunately, my handicap is going the wrong way. My inability to keep my driver in play has been detrimental to this plan.

Barry, I would love to get a lesson with Mark. I know you were really excited about it and it seems to be really paying off for you. 5-8 yards? That's substantial!

JM
I'm going to be doing more at some point. Great teacher and at $100 an hour for tour level instruction he can't be beat. I've always thought of myself as a "shorter" hitter. It was instantly reassuring in my first lesson with him this year when he told me I had a "powerful swing" but I had sinks that were draining distance.

Getting my swing more upright and letting my wrists work has been the big distance gainer.

I am playing better than I ever have in my short 3.5 years of playing golf now. I am happy about that, but always want to get better. Still chasing the round at or under par. Long game can always use more consistency. Putting work needed. Strongest part is pitching and chipping--much of this is due to necessity but I save par a ton now days, and just wish I would hit the green in reg and one putt more instead of having to do that so often.

Great thread. Taking a step back, I think my game is vastly improved over where it was when I started playing again two years ago, but I have a long way to go to get where I'd like to be. I lack consistency with the driver, which leaves me heavily reliant on my fairway woods off the tee and longer approaches, leading to less GIR opportunities. Can't score if you are always trying to hole out. Through lessons this spring I've improved my tempo and can self correct mid round when I get quick. My iron play is passable but improving. I've spent more time this year on my chipping, pitching and putting. I'm not good yet but I'm getting better and giving myself opportunities I haven't in the past. Getting my putting to under 2 per hole so far this year has definitely been something I've been pleased with. Hopefully I'll break 90 soon and continue to improve.

I'm comfortable with where my game is at currently. Best part of my game right now is without a doubt irons and putting. I'm a little shakey lately with the driver, but I think that is from neglect of focusing on it on the range. Short game is there, but like the driver just needs some tidying up. Wedges are right there with the irons. Just some more practice than playing over the next 2 weeks and I'll be exactly where I want to be!!

It sucks. I haven't played enough or practised enough. Which is weird because work isn't getting in the way. The swing is ok just not enough practice or play to be consistent.

After yesterday, I am really excited about where my game is. I found a swing check point that I never had before. After I employed it, I was +1 for 7 holes.

I'm now making strides in the three areas I needed to address in order to give myself more consistent chances at shooting/breaking 80. Putting still needs (and will continue to get) work, but I have carded multiple rounds with 30 putts and that is a huge improvement for me. Reducing lost shots off the tee was #2 - this is where my blow up rounds originated from. Last few rounds, my positioning off the tee has mostly left me in spots to go at the pin or a preferred location on the green. Lastly - sand play. This is still a question mark, but has improved a little bit.

Was really good, most rounds lately in the mid to upper 70s but now on IR for a bad neck. Sucks being hurt in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've come a long way this year, but I feel like I've plateaued a bit. I've shown flashes of playing better golf than I ever have (+1 for a 9 hole stretch midround), but I'm still more inconsistent that I'd like. Looking at my historical numbers, I'm shooting in the 80s and low 90s consistently, and that's something I couldn't say for last year. I need to remember that things aren't going just going to improve overnight - I've dropped my index 5 points this year, and sometimes I forget that.

There are a few areas where I see that I can improve in the short term, and I'm going to work on those post-MC. I'm looking for a new instructor, so looking forward to that as well.

More important than all of this is that I'm having more fun playing golf than I ever have - I really like the guys on my league team, and I have THP to thank for a lot of that as well.

I'm slowly improving my iron hitting and putting. Not the greatest driver but that can wait. Pretty satisfied and having fun.

My game is all over the place right now. One day it is the driver then the next it is the irons but either way I seem to keep staying in the mid 84-89 range. If I can get the swing consistent on both I think I can break 80 for the first time.

I'm rebuilding my swing for the 2nd time in as many months using this youtube series on very simple basic swing.
http://www.monkeysee.com/play/4650-golf-basics-proper-down-swing

My game is a mess because my inconsistent swing so this is the last makeover for a while.

My putting is phenomenal though for my handicap (31). I have a unique stroke with very solid fundamentals that haven't failed in 2 years now and keeps improving.

My chipping is one of my strengths too, but I have too many shots in the bag though (as well as wedges I have 5). I've decided to master them all though, I first need to focus more on lie and how it affects my swing atm. I also need to get my distances down better, I used to be able to come a lot closer when I used the same wedge for every shot inside of 50. I need to practice more in the backyard.

I give up mentally a lot on holes. Especially when things go wrong. I need to find strength here and not only focus when its fun to do so.

I switched jobs recently and can only golf 1 day a week and this has been the toughest thing, especially with 3 children. I think it's still shaping up to be a better year than could have imagined a few years back, but still not what I thought the plan was gonna be this year.

After ~30yrs of golf (only 15 of which were as a 'student of the game') my game is in stasis. My hc slowly oscillates up and down around 9.5; a few forays into the 70s and some into the 90s. Lately I'm on the uptick with a bunch of 90s over the last couple monts, but my last couple rounds were 82 and 83, back to normal thank goodness. I pretty much have standardized my list of 'fixes' for when things go awry, it's just a matter of finding the right one during any one episode.

I now look at golf like fishing. I don't really need to become a better fisherman. Some days I will get skunked, some days I will catch until my arms get tired. It is what it is.

Back