Bridgestone J40 Fairway Woods and Hybrids

I hit my new to me 4W yesterday and WOW! I hit one from light rough maybe the farthest I have ever hit a golf ball.
Rangefinder said 253 and I was right and short about 15 yards. I couldn't believe it!

Just a solid Snap when you catch one!

I am throwing the hybrids back in the bag for a few rounds. I miss them dearly.

I threw both the 3 and 4 in the bag the other day. The 4 is the same loft as my 5 iron, so I took the iron out of the bag. I still think they are some of the best hybrids that I have gamed. Might not be the best out there, but for me they just work. And the VTS Silver combo rocks.

I hit my new to me 4W yesterday and WOW! I hit one from light rough maybe the farthest I have ever hit a golf ball.
Rangefinder said 253 and I was right and short about 15 yards. I couldn't believe it!

Nice dude!

I witnessed this yesterday and he is correct. Just a tad bit short of my 265 3w.

CJ graciously let me hit this club as well and the sound off the club face is music to my ears. Comes off pure whether hitting from the fairway or the rough.

I'm seriously pondering moving my Oban 8 series into the 3+ j40 I have. It might need about a half inch on the butt section without the adapter (coming from an amp cell), but I have a feeling that combination could be all kinds of lethal for me.

I threw both the 3 and 4 in the bag the other day. The 4 is the same loft as my 5 iron, so I took the iron out of the bag. I still think they are some of the best hybrids that I have gamed. Might not be the best out there, but for me they just work. And the VTS Silver combo rocks.

My 4H is one of my most relied on clubs. Use it everywhere. Love it. I've tried to replace it with other, lower lofted 4Hs, and have yet to change it out.

The FW's and Hybrids are probably the only clubs I haven't hit from the Bridgestone line. With all the high praises I know I am in good hands.

I've only hit Dan's and that was a few times on the range. The 3+ felt great and I hit it straight, which is encouraging. Having never really gamed hybrids before, I'm excited about putting the 2 hybrid in the bag for the MC. I think it could be a great option off the tee.

I witnessed this yesterday and he is correct. Just a tad bit short of my 265 3w.

CJ graciously let me hit this club as well and the sound off the club face is music to my ears. Comes off pure whether hitting from the fairway or the rough.

And I must have driven you nuts saying over and over I couldn't believe I hit it that far.
I am on the Bridgestone site looking at other FW's and Hybos!

I've only hit Dan's and that was a few times on the range. The 3+ felt great and I hit it straight, which is encouraging. Having never really gamed hybrids before, I'm excited about putting the 2 hybrid in the bag for the MC. I think it could be a great option off the tee.

I went with 2 hybo as well due to the 5w being out of stock. Im seeing about 10 to 15 yds less than the 5w. Actually fits my bag better as next club is 4i at 215 ish. 5w at 250 to 260 would have been too big of a gap

The 4h continues to be my go to club when I need good length and dead straight. Hearing all this love for the FWs has me excited for the 4w I'll be gaming in the MC.

Put a J40 4w in play for the first time, and I'm in love. Pulled it 3 times tonight, and the 2 times I put a decent swing on it, it was long and dead straight, and the third time I just put a crap swing on it and no club could have made it turn out any better. I'm going to be so happy with this in my bag in Myrtle.

Got a 21* hybrid in a trade a few weeks ago, and I'm really loving it so far. Sets up square to open and very little offset, plus a slightly stiffer shaft keeps my hook in check. The club yields straight shots to slight fades nearly every time, off the tee or the deck. Not crazy long, but that's not the point - fits perfectly into the gap between my Mashie 2h and my 5 iron. Loving it so far!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I need a J40 hybo again. May go after a 2H at some point. Still one of my favorite ever with the stock PX shaft.

Put a J40 4w in play for the first time, and I'm in love. Pulled it 3 times tonight, and the 2 times I put a decent swing on it, it was long and dead straight, and the third time I just put a crap swing on it and no club could have made it turn out any better. I'm going to be so happy with this in my bag in Myrtle.

That's awesome. Basically the same way I feel about the 5W. Just a solid FW. If I pony up the swing, it delivers a nice consistent flight. Don't know why but I expected to hit lower shots with this than the F5. Turns out that is just not the case. Only place I miss the Mashie is out of the rough in certain lies. I'm sure more time with it and that will fade as well.

Got a 21* hybrid in a trade a few weeks ago, and I'm really loving it so far. Sets up square to open and very little offset, plus a slightly stiffer shaft keeps my hook in check. The club yields straight shots to slight fades nearly every time, off the tee or the deck. Not crazy long, but that's not the point - fits perfectly into the gap between my Mashie 2h and my 5 iron. Loving it so far!!

That's my favorite thing about this line in general. Not crazy long but long enough, and most importantly consistent distances. I don't want outliers with a hybrid or even a 5W. I want to know or have at least a good idea of what to expect. So far that's what I've seen with the hybrid and all signs point to the same with the 5W.

That's awesome. Basically the same way I feel about the 5W. Just a solid FW. If I pony up the swing, it delivers a nice consistent flight. Don't know why but I expected to hit lower shots with this than the F5. Turns out that is just not the case. Only place I miss the Mashie is out of the rough in certain lies. I'm sure more time with it and that will fade as well.

That's my favorite thing about this line in general. Not crazy long but long enough, and most importantly consistent distances. I don't want outliers with a hybrid or even a 5W. I want to know or have at least a good idea of what to expect. So far that's what I've seen with the hybrid and all signs point to the same with the 5W.

Totally agree. I really wouldn't mind hitting the 2 hybrid to compare to the old reliable Mashie - my only concern at the moment is that the light shaft in the M2 will play havoc with me, since my 4w shaft and this shaft are 70 - 80g and that one is like 60g. But who knows, I may be making an issue out of something that isn't at all. Course time will give me a better idea.

Totally agree. I really wouldn't mind hitting the 2 hybrid to compare to the old reliable Mashie - my only concern at the moment is that the light shaft in the M2 will play havoc with me, since my 4w shaft and this shaft are 70 - 80g and that one is like 60g. But who knows, I may be making an issue out of something that isn't at all. Course time will give me a better idea.

2H didn't work out with me but I've never had much luck with lower lofted hybrids. I think shaft weight definitely makes a difference. FWIW, I put a PX 6.0 in my F5 after gaming the J40 hybrid. That club was a bomber to begin with but I gained a little more control with the PX.

2H didn't work out with me but I've never had much luck with lower lofted hybrids. I think shaft weight definitely makes a difference. FWIW, I put a PX 6.0 in my F5 after gaming the J40 hybrid. That club was a bomber to begin with but I gained a little more control with the PX.

That's a pretty good idea - maybe I could throw the px in the M2 if it becomes a problem. Probably cheaper to just buy a j40 2h though haha

I picked up a J40 4W w/ PX6.0 a few weeks back off Craigslist for $50. With 2 swings at the range, this had my RBZ 3W out of the bag. Used it a few times on the course already and love it!

That's a pretty good idea - maybe I could throw the px in the M2 if it becomes a problem. Probably cheaper to just buy a j40 2h though haha

You'd be surprised. I'm all for consistency but I've found some smoking deals on PX shafts through eBay. Don't think I've ever payed more than $60 for one... Just have to be patient.

I picked up a J40 4W w/ PX6.0 a few weeks back off Craigslist for $50. With 2 swings at the range, this had my RBZ 3W out of the bag. Used it a few times on the course already and love it!

RBZ was pretty long for me. Heck, I still game the S2. What kicked it out of the bag? Distance, consistency? Both?

RBZ was pretty long for me. Heck, I still game the S2. What kicked it out of the bag? Distance, consistency? Both?

I have no confidence with it at all. I have probably hit 200 balls with it and honestly felt good about 10 of them. When I hit in on the screws it goes, but I have been penalized more than benefited in using it.

I have no confidence with it at all. I have probably hit 200 balls with it and honestly felt good about 10 of them. When I hit in on the screws it goes, but I have been penalized more than benefited in using it.

Gotcha. I definitely found the S2 to be the more consistent of the two lines. Sounds like you've found something that works good for you though! All of this 4W talk has me hawkpondering a 4W/3H/4I setup... Pretty happy with mine right now though so doubt anything happens anytime soon.

Gotcha. I definitely found the S2 to be the more consistent of the two lines. Sounds like you've found something that works good for you though! All of this 4W talk has me hawkpondering a 4W/3H/4I setup... Pretty happy with mine right now though so doubt anything happens anytime soon.

I remember you having some real good shots with that hybo and after almost mugging CJ for his 4w, I'm wondering how that shaft would treat me in the hybo as well. Another ponder is forming...

Taps away

Back