Upcoming Golf Channel "In Play" Episode About Counterfeit Equipment

darnall

Reaction score
Handicap
Pretty sure it's scheduled for Monday evening, July 21. I saw a commercial last night for the next episode of "In Play With Jimmy Roberts" and they are going to be doing a big story on counterfeit golf equipment and how much of it is out there. I know there have been several discussions about counterfeit equipment on THP in the past, including a lot of great advice on how to avoid getting stuck with it, but I am super excited to see this show when it airs. The commercial showed a teaser about a fake thousand dollar Scotty putter that somebody got on Ebay for $150, and my gosh it looked identical to the genuine version beside it.

Has anybody else seen this commercial, and are you as anxious to see the show as I am?

This is definitely an interesting topic. I'll be tuned into this episode for sure.

This sounds intriguing. Hopefully I'll be able to catch it.

Hope to watch this. Such a huge problem these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have to check it out. Sounds like an interesting show.

DVR set, will check it out for sure

Might have to set the ol DVR and watch this episode.

Now this will be interesting. Good stuff for the equipment junkies. Wonder if there will be any performance comparisons and what not

I'll definitely watch the episode! That said, I struggle with understanding how/why some equipment is so expensive and then within 6-12 months it is half of the original opening price. I would buy direct from the manufacturer or golf shop if the prices were more reasonable. Instead, I think nearly all of us have looked online to find a merchant selling "what appears to be" the same club for much less.

There's a reason why there is a Deal of The Day thread...hahahaha

Now this will be interesting. Good stuff for the equipment junkies. Wonder if there will be any performance comparisons and what not

The commercial showed footage of a robot swinging a driver so I have to imagine there will be some comparisons on some of the stuff.

There was a good article a couple years ago about counterfeit equipment. They were doing raids overseas and in a lot of cases the fake equipment was being made right on the lines with the real stuff, then assembled in sweat shops or peoples homes and then sent off. Some of the fakes had just slight variations that would be hard to tell from real. They did some testing in that article also with some drivers and there was a difference, nothing outrageous, but enough the robot numbers produced were lower. Would a regular person see the differences I am not sure, but it was an interesting read.

One of the guys I used to play with ended up with a counterfeit driver. It looked pretty close to the real thing (though there were differences when you looked closely), but sounded horrible. He played it anyway.

I'll definitely watch the episode! That said, I struggle with understanding how/why some equipment is so expensive and then within 6-12 months it is half of the original opening price. I would buy direct from the manufacturer or golf shop if the prices were more reasonable. Instead, I think nearly all of us have looked online to find a merchant selling "what appears to be" the same club for much less.

There's a reason why there is a Deal of The Day thread...hahahaha

I don't think this is unique to golf equipment.

I don't think this is unique to golf equipment.

I know it exists everywhere...electronics, clothing, appliances, etc. Obviously it's based on supply and demand too, so it you are willing to pony up $800 for new irons there are several outlets that will be willing to take your money. I guess with the other merchandise the drop-off is not as extreme. TV's don't go from $1000 to $500 in 6-12 months...more like 18-24 months (or longer) is more realistic. Sure the price will drop, just not as quickly as golf equipment. All this indicates is that it is overpriced to begin with.

DVR set, thanks for the heads up.

Pretty sure it's scheduled for Monday evening, July 21. I saw a commercial last night for the next episode of "In Play With Jimmy Roberts" and they are going to be doing a big story on counterfeit golf equipment and how much of it is out there. I know there have been several discussions about counterfeit equipment on THP in the past, including a lot of great advice on how to avoid getting stuck with it, but I am super excited to see this show when it airs. The commercial showed a teaser about a fake thousand dollar Scotty putter that somebody got on Ebay for $150, and my gosh it looked identical to the genuine version beside it.

Has anybody else seen this commercial, and are you as anxious to see the show as I am?

I hope to watch this as well. Very interested

Should be a very informative episode. Will have to keep an eye out for that.

That will be a good episode to watch. So much of this going on these days.

Just watched this. Some pretty interesting data thrown out there. I won't spoil anything but you should definitely watch this.

Just watched this. Some pretty interesting data thrown out there. I won't spoil anything but you should definitely watch this.

I watched it as well and was shocked that the market is so big. It's crazy.

I watched it as well and was shocked that the market is so big. It's crazy.
It was definitely interesting. There really is a gigantic market for it. I couldn't help but laugh at that guy they interviewed tho. He buys a brand new driver on a sketchy site from China for $160 and says "I'm shocked it's fake" lol oh cmon dude

It was definitely interesting. There really is a gigantic market for it. I couldn't help but laugh at that guy they interviewed tho. He buys a brand new driver on a sketchy site from China for $160 and says "I'm shocked it's fake" lol oh cmon dude

The more I think about it, I can see how people buy these clubs. Everyone is looking for a deal nowadays, so people find the lowest price online and don't think twice about whether it's "too good to be true."

I need to catch that should be interesting

The more I think about it, I can see how people buy these clubs. Everyone is looking for a deal nowadays, so people find the lowest price online and don't think twice about whether it's "too good to be true."
Oh I can absolutely see how it happens but they aren't smart shoppers haha. Buyer beware

I'm amazed that the industry of fake equipment is so big the companies need people who's sole job is to track down counterfeit clubs. Where can I get that job?

Back