DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, I'm sure Rob has played it cause he seems to "get around" but has anyone had the opportunity to play Caves Valley? I heard they call the course the "Augusta of the north" but there's a guy that just retired from my job who can get on. He's currently working on getting me on but I was just curious if anyone out there has played it.

I have had the opportunity to play it at an annual outing and as a quest. But, I don't think I will ever be able to get on again. Needless to say, it is a great course, always well manicured. It was one of the few opportunities I've had to play with a caddie. So given the opportunity, play it. That said, I also knew that it was not a place where I belonged. Believe me, I was an obvious guest, I did not meet the member profile.

Alright guys, I'm sure Rob has played it cause he seems to "get around" but has anyone had the opportunity to play Caves Valley? I heard they call the course the "Augusta of the north" but there's a guy that just retired from my job who can get on. He's currently working on getting me on but I was just curious if anyone out there has played it.

Ha. I don't get around in those circles :)

I've attended a couple tournaments there, the Senior US Open and the NCAA men's and women's Championships.

As for playing it, only UVAWahoo travels in that crowd:)

I have had the opportunity to play it at an annual outing and as a quest. But, I don't think I will ever be able to get on again. Needless to say, it is a great course, always well manicured. It was one of the few opportunities I've had to play with a caddie. So given the opportunity, play it. That said, I also knew that it was not a place where I belonged. Believe me, I was an obvious guest, I did not meet the member profile.

I don't know yet if I'm going to be able to play it but he said he would see what he could do. If I have it I'm going to take it!!

I don't know yet if I'm going to be able to play it but he said he would see what he could do. If I have it I'm going to take it!!
It's one of those courses if you get an invite, you pretty much cancel any plans you have and go. My previous hotel was only about 3 miles from there....so close yet so far!!

For sure! I saw the senior open there - whole time I was thinking I would love to play this one!

I've played Raspberry Falls quite a bit the last 5 years or so. I have a connection that can get a pretty good deal on rates with the new management. If we get a head count I can inquire. What time are you all thinking of going out? I'm confident I can get it to the $70 range at a minimum for a morning tee time, obviously better for the afternoon

I am up for Raspberry anytime. I am only 10 minutes from the course. I practice there all the time. Let me know ... the earlier the better so I can clear it with the wife.

BTW .... Anyone playing this weekend? I am thinking of an early round Sat. Definitely ducking out early tomorrow from work and playing the afternoon. Anyone interested let me know

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I am up for Raspberry anytime. I am only 10 minutes from the course. I practice there all the time. Let me know ... the earlier the better so I can clear it with the wife.

BTW .... Anyone playing this weekend? I am thinking of an early round Sat. Definitely ducking out early tomorrow from work and playing the afternoon. Anyone interested let me know

I would love to get out to Raspberry soon. it might be too pricey for the big event, but I can look at coming out there one of the last two weekends of the month if you're open.

Can't do this weekend, as I see the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday to get the go ahead to resume play, and also to discuss the long term plan for the knees (meaning fall surgery most likely).

I know the feeling. I have to get the right hip replaced soon. Just delaying the inevitable

I know the feeling. I have to get the right hip replaced soon. Just delaying the inevitable

Ouch. That doesn't sound like fun.

Ouch. That doesn't sound like fun.

Yeah ... I am dreading what it is going to do to my golf game. May have to start from the ground up all over again.

Last edited:
Hi MDHacker!!

I would love to get out to Raspberry soon. it might be too pricey for the big event, but I can look at coming out there one of the last two weekends of the month if you're open.

Can't do this weekend, as I see the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday to get the go ahead to resume play, and also to discuss the long term plan for the knees (meaning fall surgery most likely).

In one of the golf magazines, I saw an enclosure advertising the Raspberry Trail. It offered 4 rounds for the price of 3 at the participating courses. The courses shown ranged from locales such as Gettysburg to northern Virginia (which from my perspective is really DC).

In one of the golf magazines, I saw an enclosure advertising the Raspberry Trail. It offered 4 rounds for the price of 3 at the participating courses. The courses shown ranged from locales such as Gettysburg to northern Virginia (which from my perspective is really DC).

The courses on that 'trail' in NoVA are pretty far out from DC... Raspberry itself is north of Leesburg and Bull Run is in Haymarket.

Got a tee time at Potomac Shores this weekend. Should be interesting. I'll be sure to report back here.

UVA..Yeah, I've seen that as well.

The original Raspberry Trail I believe was just Raspberry Falls and Old Hickory, maybe one more. I think now it encompasses something like 16 course in the Mid-Atlantic area. It resembles nothing like a trail, matter of fact if they tried to do a map with the dots connecting all the courses to indicate a trail, it would be like watching a blind guy trying navigate a maze.

The courses on that 'trail' in NoVA are pretty far out from DC... Raspberry itself is north of Leesburg and Bull Run is in Haymarket.

Got a tee time at Potomac Shores this weekend. Should be interesting. I'll be sure to report back here.

I believe UVAWahoo was trying to say that to an old country boy like him from the mountains of Virginia, anything anywhere in Northern Virginia might as well be considered in DC to him.

I believe UVAWahoo was trying to say that to an old country boy like him from the mountains of Virginia, anything anywhere in Northern Virginia might as well be considered in DC to him.

Ah. Gotcha! Growing up in Fairfax and going to college pretty far away, I can understand that.

Potomac Shores is a little pricey isn't it??

Thanks, CAA-Beat, you were spot on. The Maryland and Virginia counties surrounding DC tend to be bedroom communities for DC. I have a cousin living Culpepper, Va. They say that people actually commute to DC and reside there.

I'm considering the 4 for 3 deal. But I continue to think the best deal around is the River Marsh players card.

Thanks, CAA-Beat, you were spot on. The Maryland and Virginia counties surrounding DC tend to be bedroom communities for DC. I have a cousin living Culpepper, Va. They say that people actually commute to DC and reside there.

I'm considering the 4 for 3 deal. But I continue to think the best deal around is the River Marsh players card.
yeah, I'm just not playing enough right now to consider any card or membership type deal. If I was and lived remotely close to the Bridge I would jump all over that River Marsh deal.

OUTING THOUGHT:

Ok, fist let me say I'm completely down with Renditions if we decide to go with it as the location on the 17th.

That said, let me throw out another thought. I continually get emails from National Golf Club of Maryland, some of you may have known it as the old Tantallion Country Club in Maryland. It is a private club. I used to play it ALOT when it was Tantallion about 10 years ago. I had a business relationship with the course so I took advantage of playing it a lot. it wasn't the best course in the world by a large margin, but it was even further away from being the worst course. Just a good decent course that had a couple holes that presented some conditioning problems. But nothing that kept me from going back.

They are marketing for members very heavily right now, thus the endless emails I get from them. I wouldn't mind taking the initiative to contact them about a possible deal to host our outing. They might be receptive to it, to gain exposure to some possible members.

The location actually works for both Virginia and central southern MD (Sorry ForTheLoveofGolf, Big Ball and Golfnnut). It's in Fort Washington, MD just across the Wilson Bridge, near National Harbor now, even though it wasn't there when I used to play it. That may create a little bit of traffic, but where are we going to go around here with no traffic...ha.

I have no idea of the condition of it these days. But thought I'd throw it out there. Let me know what you think, Yay or Nay.

http://www.nationalgolfclubusa.com/

Potomac Shores is a little pricey isn't it??

It is. Just a little more than say a Raspberry or Bull Run though. Wives are all out of town so my normal foursome was actually looking for a fancier course to check out. We were gonna do Bulle Rock but couldn't get a tee time

I hear ya. As someone who grew up going there, I actively avoid DC when possible.

I keep meaning to do the 4 for 3 deal but we only seem to go to a couple of them most years. Bull Run mostly.

OUTING THOUGHT:

Ok, fist let me say I'm completely down with Renditions if we decide to go with it as the location on the 17th.

That said, let me throw out another thought. I continually get emails from National Golf Club of Maryland, some of you may have known it as the old Tantallion Country Club in Maryland. It is a private club. I used to play it ALOT when it was Tantallion about 10 years ago. I had a business relationship with the course so I took advantage of playing it a lot. it wasn't the best course in the world by a large margin, but it was even further away from being the worst course. Just a good decent course that had a couple holes that presented some conditioning problems. But nothing that kept me from going back.

They are marketing for members very heavily right now, thus the endless emails I get from them. I wouldn't mind taking the initiative to contact them about a possible deal to host our outing. They might be receptive to it, to gain exposure to some possible members.

The location actually works for both Virginia and central southern MD (Sorry ForTheLoveofGolf, Big Ball and Golfnnut). It's in Fort Washington, MD just across the Wilson Bridge, near National Harbor now, even though it wasn't there when I used to play it. That may create a little bit of traffic, but where are we going to go around here with no traffic...ha.

I have no idea of the condition of it these days. But thought I'd throw it out there. Let me know what you think, Yay or Nay.

http://www.nationalgolfclubusa.com/

I work in Alexandria so its good for me. I don't mind driving anyway

It is. Just a little more than say a Raspberry or Bull Run though. Wives are all out of town so my normal foursome was actually looking for a fancier course to check out. We were gonna do Bulle Rock but couldn't get a tee time

I hear ya. As someone who grew up going there, I actively avoid DC when possible.

I keep meaning to do the 4 for 3 deal but we only seem to go to a couple of them most years. Bull Run mostly.

If you make it up to Bulle Rock, let me know - I'm about 15 minutes from their and would love to tee it up with you again if you have an opening!

If you make it up to Bulle Rock, let me know - I'm about 15 minutes from their and would love to tee it up with you again if you have an opening!

Will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back