Youth Golf Accomplishments

That was an awesome drive and the best part is his smile!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Proud dad over here as my 4 yr old played his first 9 holes today from the 100 yd marker. We didn't take score and kept it light and fun with music in the cart. Here's his final drive of the day on #18 CC of Miami West course. =)

Love the lefty. My nine year old does everything right handed except golf and swing a baseball bat.

My 9 year old just shot his first even par round in our local junior summer tour in the 10-11 year old division. He was pumped. 3 birdies, 3 pars, 3 bogeys for a 36.

My 9 year old just shot his first even par round in our local junior summer tour in the 10-11 year old division. He was pumped. 3 birdies, 3 pars, 3 bogeys for a 36.

That is outstanding!! I'd still love to get three birdies and three pars.

That is outstanding!! I'd still love to get three birdies and three pars.

I don't know where my kids get their golf ability from. I really don't, because I am terrible. My 14 year old daughter is playing in the State Women's Amateur tomorrow through Sunday. We will see how that goes.

I don't know where my kids get their golf ability from. I really don't, because I am terrible. My 14 year old daughter is playing in the State Women's Amateur tomorrow through Sunday. We will see how that goes.

Wow, you really do have some talented little golfers. Keep us posted as best you can, I'd love to hear about how she does. So if your handicap on your profile is somewhat accurate, does she beat you more often than not? I don't think I've beat my son since he was about 13 or 14, LOL.

Wow, you really do have some talented little golfers. Keep us posted as best you can, I'd love to hear about how she does. So if your handicap on your profile is somewhat accurate, does she beat you more often than not? I don't think I've beat my son since he was about 13 or 14, LOL.

My daughter beats me and it doesn't matter what tee set. She drives it 250 yards on average (237 carry). I have beat her once the past 2 years. She sports a 4.0 handicap. So I don't come close unless we take her gross and my net which I am too proud to do.

She ended up this weekend with 80-78-80 for a 238 total playing from 6000 yards (she can easily play longer than that). Not too shabby though considering she is 14. Finished 40 of 83 players and beat many collegiate golfers. Exciting times and very proud. Will give her a lot of confidence with remaining tournaments this summer then moving forward into high school season.

My son played on the local tour Saturday and put up a 1 over par 37 on nine holes. 2 bogeys, a birdie, and 6 pars. Stunk it up on the local today with a 42.

My daughter beats me and it doesn't matter what tee set. She drives it 250 yards on average (237 carry). I have beat her once the past 2 years. She sports a 4.0 handicap. So I don't come close unless we take her gross and my net which I am too proud to do.

She ended up this weekend with 80-78-80 for a 238 total playing from 6000 yards (she can easily play longer than that). Not too shabby though considering she is 14. Finished 40 of 83 players and beat many collegiate golfers. Exciting times and very proud. Will give her a lot of confidence with remaining tournaments this summer then moving forward into high school season.

My son played on the local tour Saturday and put up a 1 over par 37 on nine holes. 2 bogeys, a birdie, and 6 pars. Stunk it up on the local today with a 42.

That is outstanding on both counts. As a 4, I'm sure she wasn't overly pleased with 80-78-80, but those are really good scores. And finishing in the middle of the pack and beating college players sounds like she's doing really well to me.

Tell your son that everyone has off days, you can't play par all the time. Even the big time pros throw up some high scores every once in a while.

Keep the updates coming as they play through the summer.

It's a small feat for my "Little Bubba" but he's starting to hit drives in the 50-60 yard range. Here's a snapshot at impact.
6ejy7asu.jpg

Looks good!! Do you take him about 100 yards from the pin and let him play from there in?

Looks good!! Do you take him about 100 yards from the pin and let him play from there in?

He should. Any kid under 10 should be playing up from fairway distances. I could honestly talk all day on youth and junior golf. Besides work, golf is my life and I only get to play a couple of times a month.

That's awesome. Let them play from where they can experience some positive results.

That's awesome. Let them play from where they can experience some positive results.

That is great advice.

I see dad's all the time taking their kids out and putting them on the forward tees when they aren't ready for it. Because they aren't ready for it the kid has a miserable experience. Our job as parents are to put them in a situation to be successful.

My 9 year old son drives the ball 170 yards (about 155 carry) with a high draw that splits the middle of the fairway 90% of the time. That doesn't mean he is ready for the forward tees. We make up a course of about 2100 yards per 9 holes for him. If you ever attend a US Kids events they have every kid playing from the fairway under 11 years of age.

My daughter won another tournament a week and a half ago. 77-76 and played terrible. 25 putts day 1 and 29 putts day 2 saved her.

I'm assuming when you say 76 and 77 is horrible that she must be playing 9. But she won the tourney and hopefully she's enjoying herself.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming when you say 76 and 77 is horrible that she must be playing 9. But she won the tourney and hopefully she's enjoying herself.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

No. She played in a 36 hole, two day tourney, 18 holes each day. She played bad. Didn't strike the ball well at all. Putting saved her because she couldn't hit a green either day (only 7 day 1 and 8 day 2). 11 one putts on the first day and 6 the second day with two zero putts made bad rounds into pretty decent ones. She normally hits around 13 greens a round. If she had done that either day she would have been better than par.

No. She played in a 36 hole, two day tourney, 18 holes each day. She played bad. Didn't strike the ball well at all. Putting saved her because she couldn't hit a green either day (only 7 day 1 and 8 day 2). 11 one putts on the first day and 6 the second day with two zero putts made bad rounds into pretty decent ones. She normally hits around 13 greens a round. If she had done that either day she would have been better than par.

Dang you have that bar set pretty high. 2 rounds in 70s on consecutive days is pretty good any way you slice it.

Dang you have that par set pretty high. 2 rounds in 70s on consecutive days is pretty good any way you slice it.

My EXACT thoughts...

Hopefully your message to her was you played horribly, she had enough to get it done!

Well we all have different standards. I'd be ecstatic with those scores, but for a scratch golfer I could see where those scores would be disappointing. Hopefully she knows what she was doing so she knows where to focus her practice so she's ready for the next tourney! Good luck and keep us updated.

Well we all have different standards. I'd be ecstatic with those scores, but for a scratch golfer I could see where those scores would be disappointing. Hopefully she knows what she was doing so she knows where to focus her practice so she's ready for the next tourney! Good luck and keep us updated.

They were not disappointing scores at all. We and she was very pleased. Didn't mean to sound at all like I was disappointed in the scores. Very happy with them. It was one of those things that reflecting on, had she struck the ball well she is going to be under par. If you can play bad and shoot those scores you are pretty dang good. If I had to grade the weekend it would have been Tee to Green C, Chipping/Pitching C, Putting A++, Scrambling A++, Scoring B+. By the same token I have walked off the course watching her play and have thought she played to dad gum good to have shot an 80.

Realistically speaking she has come a long way in just a year. She has only been playing tourney golf for a year and half. Started in the 100's and has wheedled it down to mid 70's. Very proud of what she has accomplished and what she is going to accomplish as a golfer.

LOL, I think the tone of this post will be much better received. It sounds like she is doing incredible and has come a long way in a very very short time. I look forward to reading more posts about her journey and progress.

Well, let me get this threed a little kick start. I've been kind of keeping my eye on it to see if anyone had some kids tournament golf stories to share this year.

Obviously school golf is underway. Both my boys are on the golf team this year, a freshman who is bringing up the year on the JV team. Proud dad that he's made the JV as a freshman and is getting some experience and play time. Then my eldest is a senior and holding the #1 spot on varsity. He's not as excited about golf this year, but he's still doing pretty good. The team lost their first match in over two years a couple nights ago. They went undefeated last year. It was close, but it sounds like they all had a rough night with scores in the mid 80's to low 90's for the team. My son shot an 89 which is about 10 strokes off. It happens, unfortunately it happened to the whole team. Tonight both boys won playing match play and it's the first time they've down a tournament with match play so they were excited to come home with the stories. Now the focus is the path to state. Hopefully he'll have a repeat and make it. He was the first to make it to state in about the last 4 to 5 years. I'd hate to see it be a one and done.

So let's revive this thing a little bit and if you've got a young'n out there playing some golf let's hear you talk them up!!

Well, let me get this threed a little kick start. I've been kind of keeping my eye on it to see if anyone had some kids tournament golf stories to share this year.

Obviously school golf is underway. Both my boys are on the golf team this year, a freshman who is bringing up the year on the JV team. Proud dad that he's made the JV as a freshman and is getting some experience and play time. Then my eldest is a senior and holding the #1 spot on varsity. He's not as excited about golf this year, but he's still doing pretty good. The team lost their first match in over two years a couple nights ago. They went undefeated last year. It was close, but it sounds like they all had a rough night with scores in the mid 80's to low 90's for the team. My son shot an 89 which is about 10 strokes off. It happens, unfortunately it happened to the whole team. Tonight both boys won playing match play and it's the first time they've down a tournament with match play so they were excited to come home with the stories. Now the focus is the path to state. Hopefully he'll have a repeat and make it. He was the first to make it to state in about the last 4 to 5 years. I'd hate to see it be a one and done.

So let's revive this thing a little bit and if you've got a young'n out there playing some golf let's hear you talk them up!!

At what age did your boys start tournament golf and how did you introduce it? Mine is 5 yrs old doing a kids class once or twice a week or play 9 with me but he can push back at times. I'm hesitant to sign him up and not want to play the day of the event.

my 2.5 year old refused to go to bed without his 3 golfballs and his 7 iron.... He can't swing the thing to save his life yet, but he sure loves to try.

Back