Uber in South Carolina

Mears fought it big time in Orlando. But I refuse to take an Orlando cab. They are the rudest people I have ever dealt with.
No argument. But I also don't see the cab companies fighting the fees, I see them fighting Uber from coming to market. Maybe if they focused on the first...

No argument. But I also don't see the cab companies fighting the fees, I see them fighting Uber from coming to market. Maybe if they focused on the first...

Oh brother, they have been fighting them for years. As with many stories, the media does not give us the real story. This is a good article on it, however I will warn you, its pretty slanted towards the right. It came from a google search however and for the most part is pretty accurate about why the costs are what they are.

And FWIW, he thinks Uber is great and that it will end certain greed.

http://www.ronaldhart.com/display_column.php?column_ID=623

I see what you did there!!! nice try at turning it back at the taxi business. If Uber wants into the business then either fit the business model in existence or go throughout the legislative process and change the system.

I see what you did there!!! nice try at turning it back at the taxi business. If Uber wants into the business then either fit the business model in existence or go throughout the legislative process and change the system.

Uber isn't operating illegally where they are currently deployed so I would argue that they are fitting the model as designed.

Sorry, your article is behind a subscription wall.

Speaking of outdated methods...

Odd I have no problems and not a subscriber. It's illegal in Milwaukee but they just keep operating. The idea is their trying to figure out a way for all to work together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd I have no problems and not a subscriber. It's illegal in Milwaukee but they just keep operating. The idea is their trying to figure out a way for all to work together.

Good. Consumers will start demanding their legislators to do what works for them. In an election year no less.

Why should they fit into the current old broken business monopoly that is in place. Why not allow them to operate as they are and force the cabs companies to step up their game. Change is good or you get left behind.

Googling "uber illegal" also pulls up a handful of other places including San Antonio and San Francisco airport business just for starters. Clearly this is an "issue" lots of places are having at the moment.

Good. Consumers will start demanding their legislators to do what works for them. In an election year no less.

Because those taxes are used for all of the programs that you guys have supported in other threads. Without those tax dollars, where do you think the burden falls? On us again, which means more taxes, more fees, etc.

Why should they fit into the current old broken business monopoly that is in place. Why not allow them to operate as they are and force the cabs companies to step up their game. Change is good or you get left behind.

So when that restaurant opens up that you are investing with, if I park a cooler out front and charge less for drinks than the restaurant, do you think it would be fair? I will be friendly and clean like Uber. I will offer a savings like Uber. Really there is no harm right? The outdated taxes and fees from the government is the problem, but I shouldnt have to worry about that, that is your restaurant's problem not mine right?

To get around the system and make it legal, I will instead offer the drinks free of charge with a bag that costs $5. :D

FWIW, I like the system. And think it should be allowed. But how some can say "I need all this money for the problems in this country" and then say "well its cheaper so screw the fees" is just confusing as heck to me.

Its basically an app that lets you tell a murderer that you're ready for them to come pick you up in their car and haul you off to the woods.

Hilarious.

Uber is awesome. I'll welcome that in MB for the MC.

It's cheaper than a typical cab here, everything is paid by CC (no need for tipping the driver), and you can split the fee electronically amongst everyone in the cab.

Because those taxes are used for all of the programs that you guys have supported in other threads. Without those tax dollars, where do you think the burden falls? On us again, which means more taxes, more fees, etc.

So when that restaurant opens up that you are investing with, if I park a cooler out front and charge less for drinks than the restaurant, do you think it would be fair? I will be friendly and clean like Uber. I will offer a savings like Uber. Really there is no harm right? The outdated taxes and fees from the government is the problem, but I shouldnt have to worry about that, that is your restaurant's problem not mine right?

To get around the system and make it legal, I will instead offer the drinks free of charge with a bag that costs $5. :D

So all of the taxes created from miles driven, gasoline purchased, car repairs, new car purchases don't count? I am sure Uber provides net tax benefits, just not in terms of "licensing fees".

So it's ok for you to start a website that takes market share away from WRX. Yes it is, you are providing a different vehicle to get their golf info. It's no different.

And if you set up shop outside my restaurant with out a license or permit, you'd be removed. Is being you inside to sell your frosty beverages because every has to make a living.

So all of the taxes created from miles driven, gasoline purchased, car repairs, new car purchases don't count? I am sure Uber provides net tax benefits, just not in terms of "licensing fees".

I didnt say that. Nothing even close. Guessing you did not click the link I gave you above? The govt fees on cab rides and rental cars is as much or more than the fare/daily rate.

It would be great to pick and choose what taxes we have to pay. I think there are tons of programs that I should not have to support. Heck I can think of a large one that just started that is garbage.

So it's ok for you to start a website that takes market share away from WRX. Yes it is, you are providing a different vehicle to get their golf info. It's no different.

And if you set up shop outside my restaurant with out a license or permit, you'd be removed. Is being you inside to sell your frosty beverages because every has to make a living.

Comparing two websites that both have paid their taxes and fees (the same mind you [federally]) is nothing like this. In fact not even remotely. This is two companies. One are being charged by the govt 1000x as much as the other to operate. See the issue?

And the last part, you made my argument for me. (the bolded).

I didnt say that. Nothing even close. Guessing you did not click the link I gave you above? The govt fees on cab rides and rental cars is as much or more than the fare/daily rate.

It would be great to pick and choose what taxes we have to pay. I think there are tons of programs that I should not have to support. Heck I can think of a large one that just started that is garbage.

No I read it. I guess my comment was more in line with figuring out how to allow new companies to operate while at the same time making sure their services provide a net gain.

But then again asking the government to be proactive in anything is like asking Coers to not be a carrier of disease and pestilence at THP events.

No I read it. I guess my comment was more in line with figuring out how to allow new companies to operate while at the same time making sure their services provide a net gain.

But then again asking the government to be proactive in anything is like asking Coers to not be a carrier of disease and pestilence at THP events.

You got that right brother. I think Uber is great. Its the govt that is the problem in this instance (and many others).

Comparing two websites that both have paid their taxes and fees (the same mind you [federally]) is nothing like this. In fact not even remotely. This is two companies. One are being charged by the govt 1000x as much as the other to operate. See the issue?

And the last part, you made my argument for me. (the bolded).

I see your point. Uber needs to work out their own tax structure with the cities then. If they did that it would make everyone happy it seems.

I see your point. Uber needs to work out their own tax structure with the cities then. If they did that it would make everyone happy it seems.

Agreed. What they need to do in my opinion is get the government to take less money...They can then operate in the same way cabs do and everybody is happy. Uber would win in that aspect too, because people enjoy them more, but it does mean less bottom dollar for Uber (which they dont want) and the govt (which never happens).

Back