Trying to Break 80 Club

Shot an 81 today with two penalty strokes on the front and a three putt on 18. 9 pars, one birdie, a triple (one of the penalty holes), no doubles. So close........

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Shot an 81 today with two penalty strokes on the front and a three putt on 18. 9 pars, one birdie, a triple (one of the penalty holes), no doubles. So close........

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

I shot an 81 today too. No penalties for me today, but I started and finished with double bogies!

My last few rounds have been 81, 78, 77. I feel like I am close to consistently being in the 70s.

Looks like you are really darn close. I played 9 holes last weekend and put up a +3. I 3-jacked the first 2 holes, and had one lost ball. I am setting a goal to shoot at least one round sub-80 (thinking of playing 2 or 3 rounds). Normally, I don't state a goal like that, but want to put some pressure on myself and see what happens.

Shot an 84. 44 on the front and 40 on the back. No doubles or 3 putts on back 9 but had 4 bogies. Best round I've ever had

I'm getting soooo close now. The thing killing me right now is putting. The sad thing was this has always been the strongest part of my game but for the last month it's been absolutely horrible. I went from hitting about 27-29 puts a round to the last month 35-37. It's killing me. I did however go out this morning with my son (9 hole short course) and tried implementing a quick tip Micheal Breed just gave and it worked pretty well so hopefully I'll incorporate it in next real round.

shot 79 today...this is the first time i have ever played two consecutive rounds in the 70s..78 sunday..whats been really great lately is that i haven't made a double bogey in 3 rounds..

Had one of the most up and down rounds of my life today at a tournament. I shot 81 with 3 birdies and 4 doubles. If I turn those doubles into bogeys (could've very easily been done) I shoot 77 and tie for first in the tournament. Hopefully if I just keep practicing the blow up holes will start fading away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Had one of the most up and down rounds of my life today at a tournament. I shot 81 with 3 birdies and 4 doubles. If I turn those doubles into bogeys (could've very easily been done) I shoot 77 and tie for first in the tournament. Hopefully if I just keep practicing the blow up holes will start fading away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Any pattern causing your blow up holes?

Any pattern causing your blow up holes?

There's nothing that I can really point out. I think it usually happens from hitting a bad shot, and the not refocusing myself before the next shot. Then the shot after that I hit another bad one.

There's nothing that I can really point out. I think it usually happens from hitting a bad shot, and the not refocusing myself before the next shot. Then the shot after that I hit another bad one.

I think you right on the money regarding refocusing. I have had the same issues. I hit a bad tee shot and don't focus on the next shot and hit it crappy again or make a bad club decision to "Get out of danger" that blows up. Times when I back off, refocus, and then swing it turns out a lot better.

I had one of my more consistent rounds yesterday and just missed the magic number. Went 40/40=80 and had one birdie and one double where I got lazy and tried to tap in a 3 footer. Overall game was solid but I had three tee shots that were awful, one didn't clear the ladies tees and two were so far right that I couldn't even challenge a GIR. Best part was my wedges were on and I was able to chip very close on a few holes and I made few clutch 10-15 foot putts.

37/36 - 73 today for my first sub 80 round. A friend last year who manages my local golf shop told me last year that when I break 80 it'll be by a long shot and I can't wait to talk to him about this round. My short game was fantastic today and easily saved me 5-6 strokes today.

37/36 - 73 today for my first sub 80 round. A friend last year who manages my local golf shop told me last year that when I break 80 it'll be by a long shot and I can't wait to talk to him about this round. My short game was fantastic today and easily saved me 5-6 strokes today.
Thats awesome right there, congrats!!!

Holy crap! You didn't just break the barrier, you blew it up! Congrats dude! Great timing to be shooting your PB too.

Nice!! That's a great round at your home course. Now you gotta keep up that level of golf.

Nice!! That's a great round at your home course. Now you gotta keep up that level of golf.
Yea dude. My short game saved me today but aside from a double on the first hole I didn't make any huge mistakes.

Yea dude. My short game saved me today but aside from a double on the first hole I didn't make any huge mistakes.

That's what you have to do there. Pretty I have never broken 80 there. Haha

That's what you have to do there. Pretty I have never broken 80 there. Haha
Haha I've been all over the score range at Oasis. It's easy to blow a round on several holes.

That is one awesome round way to blow by 80

Looks like you are really darn close. I played 9 holes last weekend and put up a +3. I 3-jacked the first 2 holes, and had one lost ball. I am setting a goal to shoot at least one round sub-80 (thinking of playing 2 or 3 rounds). Normally, I don't state a goal like that, but want to put some pressure on myself and see what happens.

Quoting myself for results... 80, 82, 81, 87. 1 round each on Friday and Saturday, plus 36 on Sunday. Have avoided blow-up holes for the last several rounds, but a couple bit me in my last round. A huge "first", for me, was having a good number of birdie opportunities that I just missed the putt on. A couple of those dropping, per round, will make a huge difference. Each round had a very straight forward hole to start with, but I only made a par in the final round. First 3 rounds went bogey, bogey, double.

Broke 80. Shot a 78 3 Birdies 7 pars 5 Bogies 3 Doubles Shot a 37 on front and 41 on back. Scrambling pars and great putting saved me. I try not to look at what I am scoring but accidentally saw my score going into the 17th hole and could not believe it 72. Ended up Birdie par! So excited to finally break the 80's. Hope I can do it again soon.

Quoting myself for results... 80, 82, 81, 87. 1 round each on Friday and Saturday, plus 36 on Sunday. Have avoided blow-up holes for the last several rounds, but a couple bit me in my last round. A huge "first", for me, was having a good number of birdie opportunities that I just missed the putt on. A couple of those dropping, per round, will make a huge difference. Each round had a very straight forward hole to start with, but I only made a par in the final round. First 3 rounds went bogey, bogey, double.

Dang, so close those first three. Super consistent at least on those. Thing you got burned out a little bit on the last one? That's a lot of golf!

Broke 80. Shot a 78 3 Birdies 7 pars 5 Bogies 3 Doubles Shot a 37 on front and 41 on back. Scrambling pars and great putting saved me. I try not to look at what I am scoring but accidentally saw my score going into the 17th hole and could not believe it 72. Ended up Birdie par! So excited to finally break the 80's. Hope I can do it again soon.

Nice round, congrats!

Dang, so close those first three. Super consistent at least on those. Thing you got burned out a little bit on the last one? That's a lot of golf!
Yeah, after the 79 a couple of weeks ago, I was putting some pressure on myself to do it again. I have never had this much consistency, which is nice. I think the 87 was partially a product of painfully slow play. I was watching the World Cup final in between each shot - a lot of waiting time.

Yeah, after the 79 a couple of weeks ago, I was putting some pressure on myself to do it again. I have never had this much consistency, which is nice. I think the 87 was partially a product of painfully slow play. I was watching the World Cup final in between each shot - a lot of waiting time.
Haha yeah if you've got time to watch the world cup in between shots that ain't good.

Back