Euro League Soccer Discussion 2014/15 Season

Random question, how do the teams determine who they will play in the pre-season?

They just agree to make a bunch of money and play somewhere

It's kind of like the non conference schedule in college football.

Follow the $$$$ is my guess.

Good call and of course makes perfect sense. There really are only a few of the bigger clubs that make the trip over the Atlantic to play in the States.

I was looking at the Stoke pre season games and I only knew one of the clubs they are playing.

My boys Olympiacos FC have been doing great this transfer season. I love the new guys they are brining and some experience.

So far this week alone we signed Kasami, Abidal, Masuaku, Dossevi, Paulido & Elabdellaoui.

Yea Eric Freaken Abidal.

You mean Eric "The 35 year old cancer patient" Abidal. Of all the Oly fans I've talked to, you're the first to be excited about this signing. (Not including all the red newspapers). All the rest of the moves are solid...although I hope they don't short change themselves on Manolas.

As a Greek soccer fan, I like seeing Oly stepping up and building a European caliber team....as a PAOK fan, I hope our new ownership can get the club on the right track to also be competitive.

Yea. Eric Abidal. Same age like Christian Karembue, Rivaldo, to name a few that did magic well past their prime.

All we need him is for 45minutes when it counts. Stick him beside Manolas and your solid.

Hey it cost them nothing so let's see.

Euro League Soccer Discussion 2014/15 Season

It started last summer. Look it up. It will piss you off

No it won't! If you think the only reason he was denied a work permit was just to increase home grown players, you should maybe look into it a little more. It's true the FA have tightened up the criteria for overseas players requiring work permits, which is long overdue, but Agudelo didn't fulfill the criteria to earn a work permit so was denied. Simple. You and Mark Hughes may feel different, but the criteria is out there in black and white should you choose to look.

Joe Cole and Philippe Senderos on a couple of free transfers. Ands that's it! With Randy Lerner looking to sell the club, I'm not sure any much needed big money signings our coming our way. I have a horrible feeling, after the last 2 seasons, that Villa's uninterrupted time in the Premier league since it started is in serious danger this year.

The best news of the year, Luis Suarez leaves the premier league!!!! He's off to Barcelona!!!! Good bloody riddance!

The best news of the year, Luis Suarez leaves the premier league!!!! He's off to Barcelona!!!! Good bloody riddance!

Yup! FC Barcelona is going to be something... Messi, Neymar and now, Count Suarez... yikes!

I'll bet a sleeve of Pro V1s that Barcelona sends him for some form psychological evaluation.

200456.jpg

Last edited:
Liverpool made it out pretty well for a guy who started last season not wanting to be there anyway. I'm glad not to have him there...he was pretty special last year.

I need to pick a club to support. I know the big names, but don't really have a preference.
Which league did you want to follow? Once you've decided that you can find out about a team that maybe plays the kind of way you like...

Chelsea done some great signings. Fabregas and Costa. Maybe khedira aswell :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man August 16th! Can't wait

Dangit. You're right. For some reason I thought he was Dutch.

I'm not to bright right.

Late reply, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Tim Krul, the backup Dutch goalie for Newcastle who came on for the penalty shootout in the Quarterfinals - there were rumors that Spurs would target him when Lloris left.

I need to pick a club to support. I know the big names, but don't really have a preference.

I've pretty much got 1 in each of the 4 top leagues: Newcastle, Barcelona, Inter, & Wolfsburg. The Premier League is probably the easiest to pick a team to follow, especially with the NBC Sports coverage that started last year. You've gotta consider what you want outta your team, though - consistent winner but will make you feel dirty at the billions of $ it takes to do it, or one of the many teams that has little chance of winning anything, but if they ever do break through, it'll feel 1000x more amazing. Easiest comparisons are to baseball:

Manchester United - Yankees (consistent winner, but almost always buy their way to the top)
Manchester City - Red Sox (long suffering club that finally gave in and started emulating their hated rivals by throwing $ around..to much recent success)
Liverpool - Dodgers (storied history, but hasn't done **** in the last few decades)
Everton - Giants (this is a poor-ish comparision, but: crosstown rival to L'pool who is fairly successful with homegrown talent)
Arsenal - St. Louis Cardinals (storied history that occasionally breaks through to win something, but mostly an afterthought)
Chelsea - Anaheim Angels (had lasting success after owner with too much money took over...but free agent purchases rarely work out)
Tottenham - Mets (spend lotsa money, get lotsa press, but never have anything to show for it at the end of the year)
Newcastle - Cubs (trust me, just ****ing stay away for your own sanity - most maddening decision I've ever made)
Sunderland - White Sox (hated, crosstown rival that gets a ton less press than Newcastle even though they both really suck the same)
Swansea City - idk...Blue Jays? (foreign club that has potential for success but often screws it up)
Southhampton - Brewers (rare success just leads to bigger clubs plundering all their talent)
Aston Villa - Pirates (once proud club that has endured long stretch of futility...but might only take 1-2 special players to boost them up)

There's others, but that's more than enough from me. If you want to ride a winner, jump on the Manchester City bandwagon - can't go wrong with having a sheik as an owner. If you want something interesting, consider Swansea City - they have almost equal chance of competing for Champions League as they do to get relegated.

Where's Smallville to start up the Fantasty Premier League again?

Tottenham is playing Seattle Sounders on ESPN2 here in just a few minutes. Cannot wait to see my Spurs play again, even in a preseason friendly.

EPL TV and Internet Viewing Schedule

All times Eastern.

Note: All matches shown on NBC, NBC Sports Network, and Premier League Extra Time will also be shown live on NBC Sports Live Extra..

Wednesday, July 23:

• Toronto vs Tottenham (friendly), 7pm, ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes
  • Liverpool vs AS Roma (friendly), 7:30pm, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra
  • Sporting Kansas City vs Manchester City (friendly), 9pm, ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes
  • LA Galaxy vs Manchester United (friendly), 10:30pm, FOX Sports 1

More awesome transfers for Olympiacos. Bojan Krkić.

And on Thursday they are coming to Toronto to play against AC Milan. I'm so pumped for this.

After following Newcastle for the last 8 years, I couldn't agree more with the evaluation below. Makes one want to rip one's hair out.

I also follow Fiorentina. What a loser.

Late reply, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Tim Krul, the backup Dutch goalie for Newcastle who came on for the penalty shootout in the Quarterfinals - there were rumors that Spurs would target him when Lloris left.

I've pretty much got 1 in each of the 4 top leagues: Newcastle, Barcelona, Inter, & Wolfsburg. The Premier League is probably the easiest to pick a team to follow, especially with the NBC Sports coverage that started last year. You've gotta consider what you want outta your team, though - consistent winner but will make you feel dirty at the billions of $ it takes to do it, or one of the many teams that has little chance of winning anything, but if they ever do break through, it'll feel 1000x more amazing. Easiest comparisons are to baseball:

Manchester United - Yankees (consistent winner, but almost always buy their way to the top)
Manchester City - Red Sox (long suffering club that finally gave in and started emulating their hated rivals by throwing $ around..to much recent success)
Liverpool - Dodgers (storied history, but hasn't done **** in the last few decades)
Everton - Giants (this is a poor-ish comparision, but: crosstown rival to L'pool who is fairly successful with homegrown talent)
Arsenal - St. Louis Cardinals (storied history that occasionally breaks through to win something, but mostly an afterthought)
Chelsea - Anaheim Angels (had lasting success after owner with too much money took over...but free agent purchases rarely work out)
Tottenham - Mets (spend lotsa money, get lotsa press, but never have anything to show for it at the end of the year)
Newcastle - Cubs (trust me, just ****ing stay away for your own sanity - most maddening decision I've ever made)
Sunderland - White Sox (hated, crosstown rival that gets a ton less press than Newcastle even though they both really suck the same)
Swansea City - idk...Blue Jays? (foreign club that has potential for success but often screws it up)
Southhampton - Brewers (rare success just leads to bigger clubs plundering all their talent)
Aston Villa - Pirates (once proud club that has endured long stretch of futility...but might only take 1-2 special players to boost them up)

There's others, but that's more than enough from me. If you want to ride a winner, jump on the Manchester City bandwagon - can't go wrong with having a sheik as an owner. If you want something interesting, consider Swansea City - they have almost equal chance of competing for Champions League as they do to get relegated.

Yep. That sounds about right. We have an incredible history (Like the Sox), but have always under performed compared to our neighbors and hated rivals (United). Now, with investment, we have an opportunity to show United that we aren't just the "Noisy Neighbors" (Story behind that: SAF, ahead of the Manchester Derby, was asked which Derby was better. He said the Liverpool-United Derby. He said that one is more fierce and means more. We're just United's noisy neighbors.)

This is how I feel about United:

pa-11909091.jpg
article-2052424-0E7F811C00000578-14_634x422.jpg

Also: This will always give me goosebumps

More awesome transfers for Olympiacos. Bojan Krkić.

And on Thursday they are coming to Toronto to play against AC Milan. I'm so pumped for this.
My EPL team Stoke City was in the running for him but I guess things fell through.

I am still learning about the transfer season and there are so many players throughout the world it is crazy.

I guess Real Madrid wasn't content with winning the Champions League last year:

Back