The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

We close tomorrow!! Wooo!!!

Then it's a weekend full of cleaning, painting, packing, and moving. Awesome.

Hearty congrats Dan! :bananadance: I'd rather be beat with a lead pipe than paint though. :banghead:

JM

Just wanted to know if any one has ever put down a engineered wood floor and if so what the pro's and con's are and if you are happy with it ? We are building again and thinking of using something like this .

hand_scraped_laminate_flooring_634662744111501927_1.JPG

I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything. Anyone have thoughts on a 5/1 or 5/5 arm loan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything. Anyone have thoughts on a 5/1 or 5/5 arm loan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure Mward will chime in, he deals with alot of buyers and will have some solid advice.

They can work for you if you know you will be moving and need the help getting qualified right now. But with the rates being so good right now it would be smart to go fixed rate if it's a long term home for you. Arms are always risky, if your circumstances change you can end up with a loan that is much higher than you intended.

Just wanted to know if any one has ever put down a engineered wood floor and if so what the pro's and con's are and if you are happy with it ? We are building again and thinking of using something like this .

We just did the selections for our home building and we actually went with vinyl though the whole down stairs except in the living room where we did laminate flooring. For us the price didn't seem to justify its self. It was almost 2k over the laminate and personally I think the laminate looks better. But for us we will have 4 kids under 4 so we also had to think about the abuse the hardwood was going to take.

isnt this how it goes?

been trying to sell the house with 18 acres for a while now. No leads for a couple months. Started the process of trying to split and sell 15 acres to my neighbor. Got a call today from a realtor wanting to show the house to a client.

sheesh

This is almost exactly like what we have in out whole house. It holds up pretty well but it will scratch and chip if you are not careful. It is beautiful though and we are very happy with it.

We close tomorrow!! Wooo!!!

Then it's a weekend full of cleaning, painting, packing, and moving. Awesome.
So happy for you and your wife! I can't wait to hang out at the new casa.

We're practically neighbours now!! It's awesome.

It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood!

Mr Rougers would be proud!

Was in the business (manufacturer) for a long time. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Whoever is talking to you is using the prober terminology, so that is a positive sign. The flooring pictured is 100% wood but it is engineered for dimensional stability. Engineered floors are much less susceptible to the affects of the presence and absence of moisture due to seasonal changes. Engineered floors are even acceptable for kitchens and baths if desired.

Love wood flooring! It is simply timeless and with some basic proper care techniques, will last longer than you do!

JM

The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

Got word today that my neighbor is willing to pay cash for some excess land we have. Pretty freaking sweet but now we have to decide what we are going to do home wise. With this sale we can pay our mortgage down to where we can pay it off in two years. Or we can list the house and if it sells we can move into what our family wants/needs for a rather small loan but take on 7-10 more years of payments.

So many scenarios running thru my mind. I can't get to sleep.

Got word today that my neighbor is willing to pay cash for some excess land we have. Pretty freaking sweet but now we have to decide what we are going to do home wise. With this sale we can pay our mortgage down to where we can pay it off in two years. Or we can list the house and if it sells we can move into what our family wants/needs for a rather small loan but take on 7-10 more years of payments.

So many scenarios running thru my mind. I can't get to sleep.

Easy way to break it down: With the amount of land you'd be willing to sell, is that more or less than the amount you would get in a sale of the land with the house. Ex. House with 5 acres of land, neighbor wants to give you 80k for 4 acres. Is the house with 5 acres worth more than 80k than selling the house with just 1 acre. If yes, don't do it. If no, cash out and make it easier for when you and the family do decide to move, you can use almost all of or the entire amount you get for the house as a downpayment for the next house, or buy it outright.

Easy way to break it down: With the amount of land you'd be willing to sell, is that more or less than the amount you would get in a sale of the land with the house. Ex. House with 5 acres of land, neighbor wants to give you 80k for 4 acres. Is the house with 5 acres worth more than 80k than selling the house with just 1 acre. If yes, don't do it. If no, cash out and make it easier for when you and the family do decide to move, you can use almost all of or the entire amount you get for the house as a downpayment for the next house, or buy it outright.

The sale of the excess land is a done deal, just need to get the survey and wait on MPC approval. The tough decision is what to do with our home and remaining 3 acres. We have a guy who was looking at the home and all 18 acres but it was priced a little high for him, I have told him that the 18 acres is no longer an option and that if he wants to discuss an offer on the home and 3 acres that we would be happy to do so. If our current home was to sell, I dont think we would have enough cash to could buy another home like what we want outright and would need about a $50-70k mortgage to get what we want. I know its first world problems but knowing if we stay where we are we would have no mortgage in 2 years makes taking the plunge into 10 more years of mortgage payments (albeit low) an unattractive proposition.

of course my wife and I are not 100% happy where we are so finding something that makes us (read: her) 100% happy is probably worth the payments!

Much respect for Realtors after selling some land on my own and trying to FSBO my house!

Was in the business (manufacturer) for a long time. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Whoever is talking to you is using the prober terminology, so that is a positive sign. The flooring pictured is 100% wood but it is engineered for dimensional stability. Engineered floors are much less susceptible to the affects of the presence and absence of moisture due to seasonal changes. Engineered floors are even acceptable for kitchens and baths if desired.

Love wood flooring! It is simply timeless and with some basic proper care techniques, will last longer than you do!

JM

I've done high quality engineered wood flooring in my office (work) but at home was have done traditional hardwood, hand scrapped - on a build we did last year and home we purchased this year. My wife simply cannot be spoken to when it comes to the merits of engineered versus traditional - she wants what she wants!

The sale of the excess land is a done deal, just need to get the survey and wait on MPC approval. The tough decision is what to do with our home and remaining 3 acres. We have a guy who was looking at the home and all 18 acres but it was priced a little high for him, I have told him that the 18 acres is no longer an option and that if he wants to discuss an offer on the home and 3 acres that we would be happy to do so. If our current home was to sell, I dont think we would have enough cash to could buy another home like what we want outright and would need about a $50-70k mortgage to get what we want. I know its first world problems but knowing if we stay where we are we would have no mortgage in 2 years makes taking the plunge into 10 more years of mortgage payments (albeit low) an unattractive proposition.

of course my wife and I are not 100% happy where we are so finding something that makes us (read: her) 100% happy is probably worth the payments!

Much respect for Realtors after selling some land on my own and trying to FSBO my house!

At the end of the day, many financial people would tell you that investing the money has a better return than the interest rate on the house. That being said, peace of mind knowing the house is paid for has a lot to do with well being for some.

I thought about investing the money but we do not want any risk. Can you point me to any low to zero risk investments that will pay more than 4% interest (that's our current mortgage rate)?

Genuinely asking because I am not up and up on investing options.

I thought about investing the money but we do not want any risk. Can you point me to any low to zero risk investments that will pay more than 4% interest (that's our current mortgage rate)?

Genuinely asking because I am not up and up on investing options.

That would be a question for an expert, and I am not that. What I can say is every fund we have has a return larger than that each of the last 3 years.

A 50-70k mortgage isn't as bad as a full payment. Not to mention, that's something you can pay off relatively quickly.

Listing the house today. Building a new one again after 15 yrs. this one will be closer to fam / friends . Not looking forward to the whole process again the only up side is the new lot is 500 ft. to a 36 hole course in our new backyard....

Started searching this past weekend. Wife and I are still trying to decide if we want to be close to everything and have next to no land or to go a bit farther out and have an acre or so. Not really looking to go any larger in lot size due to time restrictions when it comes to the care of the yard.

It is funny before we started looking I thought the hardest part would be to choose cabinet color etc. Once we got serious I realized how much more the other things matter.
We owned a smaller home when we lived in NY but really we just got what we could afford at the time not what we truly wanted.

Started searching this past weekend. Wife and I are still trying to decide if we want to be close to everything and have next to no land or to go a bit farther out and have an acre or so. Not really looking to go any larger in lot size due to time restrictions when it comes to the care of the yard.

It is funny before we started looking I thought the hardest part would be to choose cabinet color etc. Once we got serious I realized how much more the other things matter.
We owned a smaller home when we lived in NY but really we just got what we could afford at the time not what we truly wanted.

That's always such a tough decision, my wife and I were struggling with the same decision until the perfect compromise fell in our laps.

Back