Driving Irons - New Category Or Fad?

I just don't see these staying in many amateur bags because they are more difficult to hit than hybrids. I think people will see them on TV and maybe buy one or two but when they realize they don't have a PGA swing, it will go on the bay or in the closet.

I dont think it catches on, especially compared to the hybrid. Just seems like another niche product.

Driving irons have been getting more popular on tour for a number of years now because a traditional hybrid isnt all the best for a pro who wants to flight the ball down and people will see a pro on TV with a driving iron and think, "I need one of those!"
Ive dabbled with a few Mizuno driving irons in the past and they were beautiful clubs that felt great when you hit it on the screws but didnt hit the ball high enough for me.
I wouldnt call it a new category or a fad, its just an old idea thats being modernized and recycled. If the companies think they can come out with something that will drive sales, theyre going to do it every time and I dont blame them.

Like many others, I say fad because the use of them I believe will be mainly restricted to low handicap players. Most amateurs, myself included, don't carry any irons above a 5 and will be apprehensive to trying a long iron of this type.

I think they are a fad. I can understand why the tour pros would want to use them at a tournament like the The Open, but even the pros hardly use them outside of that.

I would say that the only reason tour pros are putting them in the bag the last few weeks is to gear up for the The Open. I doubt we hear much about them after the Open.

Interestingly enough, the Deep series from Callaway really got on the map after phil hit some very memorable shots with it during The Open last year. I don't see the driving iron having anywhere near the success of the Deep series.

I agree. I just don't see the need, at least in my bag. Hybrids fill the need already for me.

I believe they will stick around in the pro game but most amateurs have no reason to be hitting a club like this. Hence most of them being special order only.

I hate they are special order I want to try before buying

It wouldn't surprise me if they do make a significant enough of an impact in the area of FW's much like the hyb's have done with the long irons.
If one games one or two, they of course need to come at the expense of dropping something else out of your bag and I just don't see that happening to the driver. But I can see it for FW's.

That is an area (like long irons) where the average person often struggles. He may also struggle with driver but most (not all) people who do will still always bag a driver to keep on trying and also in many cases just for ego too. But the struggles with FW's is where I could possibly see the swap out of clubs taking place. Of course that is only if these are any easier to hit than ones FW's. I just don't know and never hit one myself.

sometimes FW's get sort of lost in conversation and thoughts imo. Not so much here on THP, but with many average weekend hackers conversation and thought tends to head in the direction of drivers of course and then irons. And I think tons of people struggle with FW's and they kind of get disregarded in a way. If these are easier to hit especially off the deck (and I have no idea if they are) they just may end up in bags over FW's much like hyb's now are for 3 and 4 irons etc.. Again, in order to bag them, something has to come out and I don't think too many people will ever toss their drivers. But Fw's? if these work better for them, then just may be is the slot for them.

I would love to see Cleveland bring a 1&2 iron out in the Altitudes, I cant hit a 3 Hybrid but I love the 3 Altitude.

I can see them hanging around but don't really see them catching on hugely. Seems like a pretty niche club, as many others have said.

I have trouble hitting a 3 iron much less a driving iron... I think it would be unrealistic they these would become very popular with amateur golfers

Let me preface this by saying that I know they have been around for a while, but are becoming increasingly popular. Each company has been releasing their latest versions and some are bringing out their first.

This week Callaway, Nike and TaylorMade have all released new items. Last year Callaway's was very popular among golfers as was the Cleveland MT out on tour.

Do you think this trend continues? And moreso, will it catch on with amateur golfers? The hybrid has been a tremendous asset to amateurs and golf companies as a separate sales tool and category. It is more forgiving in nature, but some amateurs do not like them for whatever reason. They have caught on, on tour by many of the best and have continued to rise in tour use every year since inception.

I dunno if they're a fad or not, but I hit the Callaway X Utility 21* a few weeks ago and freaking loved it...and I HATE long/driving irons. Was sooooo easy to hit.

That's all i have to say about that

I dunno if they're a fad or not, but I hit the Callaway X Utility 21* a few weeks ago and freaking loved it...and I HATE long/driving irons. Was sooooo easy to hit.

That's all i have to say about that
Next time we play remind me to bring my x utility with recoil proto in it

Next time we play remind me to bring my x utility with recoil proto in it

Oooh! Yes please! I would love to see if that previous instance was proof positive or lightning in a bottle. Felt too good to be true

Oooh! Yes please! I would love to see if that previous instance was proof positive or lightning in a bottle. Felt too good to be true
Dude if you liked that club with px shaft, you will love it with recoil. I played it for a while primarily off the tee and was hitting it about 250. Pretty impressive for what is essentially a 3 iron

Don't swing it...fair warning.

Yeah, might have just turned it in to a ponder lol

Dude if you liked that club with px shaft, you will love it with recoil. I played it for a while primarily off the tee and was hitting it about 250. Pretty impressive for what is essentially a 3 iron

I remember reading about those tee shots and thinking "who plays a driving iron these days?" Lol. The rep that gave it to me to hit had this sly $#!? eating grin on his face and after a dozen swings, I couldn't stop giggling. Was totally absurdly good.

Yeah, might have just turned it in to a ponder lol

I remember reading about those tee shots and thinking "who plays a driving iron these days?" Lol. The rep that gave it to me to hit had this sly $#!? eating grin on his face and after a dozen swings, I couldn't stop giggling. Was totally absurdly good.
It is good. The question is... is it good enough to replace the hybrid you hit 270???

That's the issue with most amateur golfers. The hybrids (even the low lofted ones) now days ate so good with ball speed and forgiveness that they are tough to beat or of people's bags. A driving iron really is a specialty club and would fit a very limited number of golfers

It is good. The question is... is it good enough to replace the hybrid you hit 270???

That's the issue with most amateur golfers. The hybrids (even the low lofted ones) now days ate so good with ball speed and forgiveness that they are tough to beat or of people's bags. A driving iron really is a specialty club and would fit a very limited number of golfers

Haha, that hybrid swing was a wind aided flash in the pan.

Truth is that I'd like one of the higher lofted x utilities to replace my 4 iron. I just don't hit the 4i well or high enough to justify it being in my bag, but that leaves a hole in the 210-220 range between my 5i and 4h

I see very little real life need for them. Golf is about the biggest copy cat industry out there, if somebody is making money on some idea then everybody will try. The idea bridges a gap, not a big one however; a playable 2 iron but kinda a hybrid and vise versa. I wouldn't buy into it, I don't play the tips at 7,500 yards.

Not sure if they're a fad or here for the long haul on tour, but most likely a fad with amateurs.
What I do know is that I've always carried one since I started playing and it's served me well. At the time I couldn't hit driver to save my life so I picked up a 21* Cleveland LDI for the tee box and continue to use it regularly. Bought it brand new upon it's release in Myrtle Beach during my first golf trip (whenever that was?), and its the oldest club in my bag. The thought of replacing it has never crossed my mind. It's great for short and/or tight par 4's as well as 200+ par 3's. Hitting from the fairway can be challenging but it produces sweet results when struck well.

Disclosure: I did not read this whole thread, so this may have been said.

If they were to make one with more loft that went between a hybrid or two and regular irons. Say you have a 3 and 4 hybrid, the a 5 "driving iron" (since I can't hit a 5 iron) then 6 and up regular irons. Clevelands Altitude Hyrons are basically driving irons. ;)

Disclosure: I did not read this whole thread, so this may have been said.

If they were to make one with more loft that went between a hybrid or two and regular irons. Say you have a 3 and 4 hybrid, the a 5 "driving iron" (since I can't hit a 5 iron) then 6 and up regular irons. Clevelands Altitude Hyrons are basically driving irons. ;)
I'm not sure I see that. The construction is completely different.

It's probably a fad and it's such a specialized club that it doesn't have a constant need on the course.

I'm not sure I see that. The construction is completely different.

I was being more facetious than serious. I have no knowledge of Driving Iron construction and have never hit one. Maybe I don't fully know the function of them.

Back