Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Put in an order for a spec'd out AP1 8 iron to test head-to-head! Looking forward to seeing what happens! Sadly, I'll be home in Michigan with no time on my hands- my hometown has one of the Top 100 fitting locations in the US... Won't have time to go and get the best fitting to which I'd ever have access!!! Crud!!!

I had a pretty good round with these yesterday with some really solid shots and the distance (at least compared to my last set) is addicting.

My two issues with them so far is that I am thinning more balls than I ever have before and that I am hitting the odd flyer that costs me a GIR. I don't know for certain that the irons are to blame for these misses but I just have a feeling that they aren't helping and may be contributing.

Ap1s were good again today but I'm still seeing some of the same issues. I just can't seem to dial in the 48 and 52 wedges to where I want them and I keep hitting them further than I intent to. They give the high flight and ease of use I want but they just don't seem to have the precision that I'm looking for in those spots.

The 4i/5i/6i/7i on the other hand, WOW! I was all but convinced that I would never be able to hit long irons but these make it so much easier for me. Having the 4i in the bag and using it off the tee has already saved me so many strokes and will continue to do so...it's awesome having a true lay-up club that I can actually rely on.

I have continued to taking periodic lessons since getting my AP1s and things are definitely coming together better than ever before. I too thin shots from time to time, that and toe hits are my main misses it seems. I switched to the AP1s from Ping G20s and I really don't think I thin the ball any more often than I ever did, but the G20s with their massive soles just masked the miss a bit better than the AP1s. Now that I can't "get away with it" like before, I am actually focusing on fixing the problem.

Got a chance to hit the AP1 714 7 iron in a TT XP 95 stiff...still don't like that shaft (hit it in the Apex and didn't like it), but this is definitely a forgiving head that I could see saving me some serious strokes. Thinned one with it and still got almost all of my distance with a decent amount of spin as well. Feel is definitely very "clicky", but hey you're not really buying a GI iron like this for feel, are you? At the moment I'm wrestling with deciding between AP1's, XHP's, and W/S Ci11's for my next set (looking for more forgiveness over what I'm currently playing.

When you catch one pure the AP1s feel as good as most other irons, but on the whole 'clicky' is a good word to describe the feel.

That's a fair description. I wouldn't say they feel as good as a blade or player's cavity on the center strikes, but you definitely know when you pured it.

you know what feels good? When I hit a good shot and it settles near the pin. Clicky or not I'm putting for bird and posing like a boss

you know what feels good? When I hit a good shot and it settles near the pin. Clicky or not I'm putting for bird and posing like a boss

Hey, I agree with you, I'm not talking down on these irons by any means - I'm considering getting a set myself. My irons feel way better, but I know for a fact I need more forgiveness.

Hey, I agree with you, I'm not talking down on these irons by any means - I'm considering getting a set myself. My irons feel way better, but I know for a fact I need more forgiveness.

I have some better feeling irons too sitting in my living room. I'm like you, I'm looking at these because I think the results will be better and there will be more help when I need it(which is often).

I have some better feeling irons too sitting in my living room. I'm like you, I'm looking at these because I think the results will be better and there will be more help when I need it(which is often).

Every time I go to the range lately, I realize this more and more...with my 5 iron (longest iron I carry), I realistically only hit 40%-50% of my shots where I really want/expect them to go, and that's on the range. Whereas when I only lose 5 or 10 yards carry AND I get some spin if I thin one of these...yeah, that probably knocks that percentage up a good 20%-30% or so. Just can't ignore that.

Got a chance to hit the AP1 714 7 iron in a TT XP 95 stiff...still don't like that shaft (hit it in the Apex and didn't like it), but this is definitely a forgiving head that I could see saving me some serious strokes. Thinned one with it and still got almost all of my distance with a decent amount of spin as well. Feel is definitely very "clicky", but hey you're not really buying a GI iron like this for feel, are you? At the moment I'm wrestling with deciding between AP1's, XHP's, and W/S Ci11's for my next set (looking for more forgiveness over what I'm currently playing.

I haven't cared for the XP95 shaft with any of the brands I've tried that had them, not sure why. I have tried forged blades on a couple of occasions and understand that Mizuno forged = Butter when hit pure, but you pay a price in forgiveness with those kind of clubs that my game can't really afford. However, a good graphite shaft smooth's out a lot of that clicky feel if you can get past the "Real men play steel shafts" hurdle. When I went for my AP1 fitting I promised myself not to have any preconceived shaft requirements. We went through shafts from True Temper and KBS as well as the Kuro Kage graphites before settling in on the Aerotech shafts which were a few yards shorter than some others but gave by far the tightest dispersion of the bunch. I love them, I'm playing better, the clicky feel is tamed and my wrists don't hurt at the end of the day.

AP1 4 iron is game changing for me.
I used it off the tee 5 or 6 times yesterday and my worst miss is a push that doesn't get me into trouble. Perfect for those pesky short par 4s because not only is the ball safe but I'm left with a full wedge.

AP1 4 iron is game changing for me.
I used it off the tee 5 or 6 times yesterday and my worst miss is a push that doesn't get me into trouble. Perfect for those pesky short par 4s because not only is the ball safe but I'm left with a full wedge.

How long do you hit your 4 iron?, with most of the Par 4's in my course being 370+ yds, I don't see myself hitting a 4 iron off the tee and getting only a full wedge to the green. unless is a very short par 4, like 300 yds or something.

How long do you hit your 4 iron?, with most of the Par 4's in my course being 370+ yds, I don't see myself hitting a 4 iron off the tee and getting only a full wedge to the green. unless is a very short par 4, like 300 yds or something.
Off the tee I get about 205-220 depending on rollout.
I hope that doesn't make me an internet golfer haha. The course I played the other day had pretty short par 4s and long par 3s.

I hope that doesn't make me an internet golfer haha. The course I played the other day had pretty short par 4s and long par 3s.

I'm guessing you hit your old 3i that far before?

These irons are longer ( both due to loft and design).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you hit your old 3i that far before?

These irons are longer ( both due to loft and design).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Up until now I've never bagged anything lower than a 5i so this is all uncharted territory for me.
But yeah, I've gained almost 2 clubs distance over my last set (DPCs).

I have seen par 4s that range from 290 - 460, and everything in between.

My CB3 4 iron is about 205-210 carry, would be interesting to see what the AP1 or Apex 4 iron would be for me.

A buddy of mine just got a set of these from his employer for being at the company for ten years and I had a chance to hit them yesterday. Pretty small sample size but I hit some beautiful shots with them and I was impressed with the Kuro Kage shafts as well, very good feel.

A buddy of mine just got a set of these from his employer for being at the company for ten years and I had a chance to hit them yesterday. Pretty small sample size but I hit some beautiful shots with them and I was impressed with the Kuro Kage shafts as well, very good feel.

THAT is a setup I would have liked to try them in, lots og love for the KK shafts here. Plus, much better for me long term than DG S300's.

The one turnoff for me personally is the sound, that click, BUT its funny because that is a purely Titleist sound that many adore. Its funny how different we can be. It wasn't a bad sound to me, just very unique to them compared to most other irons out there.

Potomac;
I just ordered the AP-1's with the KK 85 without trying them. I really liked the feel and performance with the 65 but wanted more weight. They are suppose to bring the flight down to a mid level from high and should still be good feeling. I will let you know in two weeks.

Curious how you've liked the Kuro 85 shaft -- am hoping for a heavier feel than the stock graphite, and I don't like the Nippon lightweight steels.

THAT is a setup I would have liked to try them in, lots og love for the KK shafts here. Plus, much better for me long term than DG S300's.

The one turnoff for me personally is the sound, that click, BUT its funny because that is a purely Titleist sound that many adore. Its funny how different we can be. It wasn't a bad sound to me, just very unique to them compared to most other irons out there.

I didn't notice the click but my time with Titleist gear is very limited.

I have a question for anyone who has played these. Are they really forgiving? i haven't seen many Titliest clubs that are forgiving. Can i assume they are a forgiving as lets say the Ping G25's, or Callaway xhots? Its my belief that certain mfg's have different meanings when they say GI or forgiving clubs. I would like to hit these and see for myself but i can't find them in my area.

I have a question for anyone who has played these. Are they really forgiving? i haven't seen many Titliest clubs that are forgiving. Can i assume they are a forgiving as lets say the Ping G25's, or Callaway xhots? Its my belief that certain mfg's have different meanings when they say GI or forgiving clubs. I would like to hit these and see for myself but i can't find them in my area.
To me they are very forgiving, but I haven't played the XHots or G-series so I'm not sure if my opinion helps.

Spent considerable time with the G25's. I know they are seen by some as a benchmark of forgiveness, but I found other options better for my miss at the time. In my experience, these are in the same ballpark as other GI irons. We're talking small differences regardless.

Back