My Quest to Break 80

That's the ticket!

I'm pullin' for ya! :thumb:

-JP

Thank you!

Sounds like a good 1st round to me. Stay positive and try not to let the bad shots get you down. Forget and move on. Out of interest what is your current handicap?
Thanks! I usually shoot in the mid-80s to low 90s from the middle tees.

I would call that a successful first round Sean. Well done.

good detail, and you picked out the good points for confidence and the areas that could use some work.

the fact you didnt use your own irons, i think is a factor. I would like to think once you have your own, you will feel a bit more comfortable and be able to knuckle down and have more confidence in the equipment.

still on winter set up here, but my new bag is shaping up nicely. :)

Very nice first round of the year. Sean, you will get there. By the time summer is here and the weather and course cooperate more, you will be ready. Good luck.

Re: My Quest to Break 80

Sean,

good luck to you. the ever elusive 79 will happen. you have a solid plan....now just relax and play each shot. one at a time.

rooting for you.

I played my first round of golf yesterday (March 2).
snip

--Three holes killed the round (double, triple, quad)

snip

Can you explain what happened on these 3 holes? At least the triple and quad.

I just finished reading Damage Control by Pelz and it deals with the 3 - 4 holes that kill rounds. He says that research they did shows most people play 2 - 5 shots below their handicap for the majority of the round and it's the 2 - 4 blowup holes that kill their scores. Kinda like you describe.

I found it an easy read and it's all about how to get out of trouble w/o killing your score. Parts of it are typical corny Pelz things but it deals with how to hit shots when there is a tree in the way of you backswing, or a rock is sitting infront of your ball, etc. For example, it showed me how to curve a ball left or right to hit around a tree and I did it in my yard last weekend. I'm worse then you and my Quest is to break 100 (documented elsewhere), so maybe this is something you already know how to do.

You might want to check it out at a bookstore or Amazon.

I just finished reading Damage Control by Pelz and it deals with the 3 - 4 holes that kill rounds. He says that research they did shows most people play 2 - 5 shots below their handicap for the majority of the round and it's the 2 - 4 blowup holes that kill their scores. Kinda like you describe.

I agree with that.

When I get a case of "The 80's" (meaning that I'm playing well enough to shoot well into the 70's but somehow end up with something in the mid-80's), it's usually just because of a few holes.

A typical scorecard would look like this: par, par, par, birdie, par, train wreck, double bogey, par par par, train wreck (with casualties), par, bogey...

On the other hand, when I DO pull it all together and shoot a solid round in the 70's, there are no train wrecks. There may be a few bogeys, but that's to be expected and there's usually enough birdies to offset them.

So yes, Pelz is right on the money and it usually IS just a few blowup holes that ruin an otherwise good round.

-JP

I would call that a successful first round Sean. Well done.

good detail, and you picked out the good points for confidence and the areas that could use some work.

the fact you didnt use your own irons, i think is a factor. I would like to think once you have your own, you will feel a bit more comfortable and be able to knuckle down and have more confidence in the equipment.

still on winter set up here, but my new bag is shaping up nicely. :)
Thank you Brian, it is much appreciated. :)

I also look forward to practicing/playing on a regular basis. I played Tuesday and we've had snow showers since then. Good luck with your new equipment and let us know what you end up with!

Very nice first round of the year. Sean, you will get there. By the time summer is here and the weather and course cooperate more, you will be ready. Good luck.
Thanks Edward. I'm also going to work on having more fun with this and not put so much pressure on myself. While I wasn't happy with the quad, I had to laugh at some of the shots I hit. :)

Sean,

good luck to you. the ever elusive 79 will happen. you have a solid plan....now just relax and play each shot. one at a time.

rooting for you.
Thanks SD. You raise two very valid points that I need to incorporate into my routine: relaxing, and playing one shot at a time. For some that may sound simple, but for me it is something I need to work on.

Can you explain what happened on these 3 holes? At least the triple and quad.

I found it an easy read and it's all about how to get out of trouble w/o killing your score. Parts of it are typical corny Pelz things but it deals with how to hit shots when there is a tree in the way of you backswing, or a rock is sitting infront of your ball, etc. For example, it showed me how to curve a ball left or right to hit around a tree and I did it in my yard last weekend. I'm worse then you and my Quest is to break 100 (documented elsewhere), so maybe this is something you already know how to do.

You might want to check it out at a bookstore or Amazon.
I have been following your quest that you documented elsewhere and have been pulling for you :)

Here is the breakdown you requested:

Double: Hole 13, 189 yd par three: pushed my 5-wood to the right and it ended up in the fescue. I could only see about a quarter of the ball. I took a lob wedge and was able to muscle it out. Had a bare lie for my 3rd shot, got a bit aggressive and the ball rolled 20 feet pass the pin. Two putted. In retrospect: I could have aimed more left with my tee shot, but wanted to take the water out of play.

Triple: Hole 18, 500 yd par five: sliced my tee shot into the 14th fairway. Squishy lie, got it back into play. Another bare lie which I put into the hazard. 7-iron just to get back in play; wedged up to green. Had a 90 foot severely uphill double breaker, which I managed to two putt. In retrospect: I should not have tried to clear the hazard with the lie I had.

Quad: Hole 11, 359 yard par five: pulled my drive and it trickled one foot into a bush (unplayable). I pushed my third shot way right of the green. The ball ended up in wet, thick, muddy rough. I was able to get my LW on the ball, but the problem was during my follow through I hit the ball again! A little "better" lie for my 6th, made it to the green and two putted. In retrospect: a bit unlucky with my tee shot.

However, after the quad I made a par on the next hole (a very difficult 520 yard par 5); after the double I made a par on the next hole; after the triple I ran out of holes, but I did par the previous hole.

My only dumb mistake was on 18 trying to clear the hazard from the lie I had. Outside of that there wasn't much I could do with what I had. The problems on those hole were all attributable to bad tee shots (my biggest problem). Out of 18 holes I had 15 good ones, and I'm happy with that. I'll be taking some lessons soon and hope the pro can help me with getting off the tee. As I mentioned previously, I don't hit the ball very far and with the longer clubs I over swing.

I'd check out Damage Control. I don't know if any of the techniques in it would have helped you this round but it's all about recovery from a bad shot and not making it worse, ie the bare lie into the hazard on 18.

What's your handle on the other site? Just wondering if I'd recognize you under a different handle.

I'd check out Damage Control. I don't know if any of the techniques in it would have helped you this round but it's all about recovery from a bad shot and not making it worse, ie the bare lie into the hazard on 18.

What's your handle on the other site? Just wondering if I'd recognize you under a different handle.
I changed my user name, but I posted a few times on your thread. I think this site is the best golf forum on the Internet. Also, remember that this site has an "Ask the Pro" section where Andy, our resident golf pro, will answer any question you have, or review and pics/videos you send him. He is a very nice and accommodating fellow. :)

I'll check out the book. And, thanks!

This video (this part of it) has been my "Holy Grail" for as long as I can remember.

It points out why just ONE SWING applies to ALL CLUBS and that no matter what club is being used, the swing itself remains the same. I've always believed this to be true and I think it's the simplest and easiest way to approach the game of golf.

[YOUTUBE]4smKIu2uARU&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

-JP

This video (this part of it) has been my "Holy Grail" for as long as I can remember.

It points out why just ONE SWING applies to ALL CLUBS and that no matter what club is being used, the swing itself remains the same. I've always believed this to be true and I think it's the simplest and easiest way to approach the game of golf.

[YOUTUBE]4smKIu2uARU&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

-JP
Really good stuff, JP. Thanks for posting this. It's amazing how he not only has the same swing, but his rhythm and tempos are exactly the same. Very impressive.

JN makes it looks so effortless. One of the things I've been working on is exactly that: one swing for all of my clubs. My big problem is swinging to hard with the longer clubs, so I'm working on allowing the loft of the club to do the work and not try to add anything extra. Rhythm and tempo...rhythm and tempo.

Thanks again, JP. Those will be some videos I visit multiple times. :)

Bortass has a point. Get rid of the blow up holes and the scores will come down. I know I have the skill to break 80 but its the odd hole which I double that kills the round.
80 is a big mental barrier as well, once broken the flood gates will open. I hoping anyway :)

Bortass has a point. Get rid of the blow up holes and the scores will come down. I know I have the skill to break 80 but its the odd hole which I double that kills the round.
80 is a big mental barrier as well, once broken the flood gates will open. I hoping anyway :)
No question!

I shot an 81 today under mushy conditions: 1 birdie, 8 pars, 7 bogeys, 1 double, and 1 triple. I hit 7 fairways, 6 greens, and had 31 putts. For me it's all about trusting the swing. Now, if I can just keep it up. :)

Replace that triple with a simple bogey and you have it. It is going to come soon...

great round Sean. :clap:

I shot an 81 today .....
:stop: Slow down! The season hasn't even properly started yet and you're already much to close to your goal: You'll have nothing to do in May! :D

Nice work! :thumb: :thumb:

:stop: Slow down! The season hasn't even properly started yet and you're already much to close to your goal: You'll have nothing to do in May! :D

Nice work! :thumb: :thumb:
That would be okay with me! But I'm not counting any chickens...you know how fickle this game can be. LOL!

Sean, 81 is freaking awesome! Your goin to reach your goal in no time! I'm rootin for ya!

Back