golfsteve

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a power player, whatever sport I play it's always the case, snooker I always want to play a high power back spin shot, bowling I'm looking to destroy pins not just knock them over.

I'm new to golf and I'm busy trying to knock the white off the ball as usual but not doing very well at it when I remember a tip recently about trying to swing a full swing but at 50% speed to work out where things are going wrong then speed up to 60, 70 & 80%. Well at 80% things clicked perfectly, I'm hitting the ball further than ever and pretty much straight at my target, worked my alignment a bit too and I've never hit the ball so well.

Back out tonight for some pitching and chipping practice and to cement the feeling of the "right" tempo for me.

I guess I was swinging too fast for my body to properly connect in a sequence.

It's really easy to read all these tips and the advice you get on here is great but there's no better feeling than when something just clicks. I'm really excited about getting to the range tomorrow and then a few holes on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best wishes. You can't smash your way through golf...

Thank you very much for the kind words!

I have to agree, I won't be trying to smash anything again

That's great! I've started back playing last summer after a 15 year layoff and that's my biggest problem, trying to smash every shot. When I slow down and swing smoothly, I score a lot better. Keep at it!!

If you're anything like me the big thing is the feeling of connection, I mean the in the sense I feel my hips clear, arms come trough, hands release in the right places when I slow down, when I speed up I lose that sense of connextion

If you can't feel the clubhead throughout the swing, you're swinging too hard.

Name me a sport where an instructor says, "what you want to do is really tense up." It doesn't happen. Tension is an enemy in every sport.

All good points, I'm hitting the range after tea to drum in the tempo then out to shoot 18 after that.

Will report my progress on some other threads and here too

I'm the same way, but much like martial arts, previous perceptions of "powerful" goes right out the window. Power is the result of relaxation and sequencing. No matter how strong your shoulders are, they just make for a bigger slice if you let them get ahead of your hips. Tension in the hands just asks for casting and a weak shot. Once you figure it out and can apply it, golf gets...not easier, but you feel less like you're shooting yourself in the foot.

I have learned that backing off a full swing, and trying to make a swing at 80% effort means that my contact is usually better! resulting in little to no distance loss and better targeting.

95 today, took a wee while to really sink in the changes but when they did I really saw the benefit, out in 53 and back in a PB for 9 holes of 42!! These changes are here to stay!!!! Even with my slower swing I was still able to drive a 300 yard par 4, I chickened out on the eagle putt though and left myself a nasty 10 footer which lipped out.

Really happy today and for the first time when I've finished an 18 I genuinely feel there was a substantial change that I really can build on

Back