Coming from behind to win. (Sorry long post)

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I played a round with some buddies and we decided to play best ball for a round of beers. Our handicaps were a scratch, 12, 15, and 20. We put the scratch and 20 handicap together and me and the 15. To make it fair you had to take 9 scores from each person this gave my team a chance to win. We knew that they would have a lead and we would have to come from behind to win when they could not take the scratch score anymore.

So we are down to the last two holes and my team is down by 3 and we must count my score on these two holes along with the 20 handicap. There is chance. At this point each playing partner is talking trash to the opposing player just trying to get in someones head. I tee off on 17 and pipe a drive down the middle leaving myself 120 to the green. My buddy hits a drive trying to cut the corner and it hits the tree and bounces in the hazard, I am feeling good right now. He then proceeds to hit over the green in to more trouble while I hit just off the green. I made a bogey on a bad luck putt that lipped out and he made a quad. So now we head to 18 all tied up and the trash talking has really picked up. This 18th hole by the way is voted the toughest finishing hole in the area.

I am up first and hit the best drive of my life. Hit a draw with the wind behind and catch the down slope so I am looking at another 120 to the green. He hits an okay tee shot but nothing great. He then ropes a wood to just off the green leaving what should be an easy 2 putt par. I felt the pressure now and hit my shot. It was looking good and then the wind coming off the water catches it and push it right of the green. I landed in the bunker. But this hole has 2 green side bunkers, a front one then a little bridge of grass and the back bunker where my ball was. We get up close and I am on the up-slope but about 4 inches from the lip and facing the water. The other team is talking heavy right now cause they seemed to have the better chance.

My buddy was off the green by inches but further away so he went first and putted it up leaving himself 4 feet for par. I felt the pressure pretty good right now and just said don't hit it in the water. I swung and the ball came out perfect landed a few feet short of the hole and was rolling nice. We all went quit as the ball was turning to the hole and then it dropped in. I made birdie out of the bunker (first time ever for me). It was great just to leave them there standing with their mouth wide open. Needless to say there was even more trash talking as we enjoyed a nice cold beer. It was a great day of fun golf and a little competition all over a few beers.

Nice finish! Competition shows where your game is really at. If it holds up under the pressure, you know you've done well.

Awesome story! One of the things things I love about golf competition is how quickly things can turn. You can think you've got it in the bag, but the next thing you know, you're wondering what just happened and trying to re-compose yourself.

Great up and down! Nice win! Way to go!

Back