Branding/Reputation - How much does it affect what you play?

I play Tour Edge irons ... there are brands you don't hear much about that make quality equipment.

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

As a new player it matters to me, whether it genuinely makes a difference I'm not sure. I want as much confidence as I can muster when I'm over the ball as possible, if some of that comes from practice and another bit comes from the fact I feel I should do well with my chosen equipment that's fine by me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always had a mixed bag up until this year. If I were not bound by contract I would still have a mixed set in my bag but even so, I dont have a single complaint with a single club in my bag right now. The only club that might get replaced is my putter and there is a very good chance that the new one will be a Seemore.

I used to be more concerned with branding. Thanks to THP that's behind me. Play what works best for me and enjoy lower scores!

More than I would like to say. I bought my former setup, from putter to driver and staff bag for $650. Now it's hard to stray from the cleveland offerings. I'm no ball snob, but I find it hard to break up a set of Cleveland's from 56* to driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once I learned it was all about shafts I stopped hoing. Components are personal preference. If the clubhead is asthetically pleasing to ke I could care less if it's a Dunlop or Miura. As long as I know the alloy and its casting or forging then the rest is immaterial. It's all about shafts.

Having said that, I love the look of snake eyes components which is why my interest is leaning towards building sets as my new love. KZG is another great component/clubhead maker.

I'm extremely brand loyal, and I'm not afraid to admit that. Does it take a lot to get me to change, ya probably. Once I find a club, or product that works for me, combined with excellent customer service. Well, until that changes, you have a customer for life. Not to say things won't change, but the new item has to really work well for me to switch.
A good example is my golf shoes. I use to be a big Nike Golf shoe guy, wore them in High School and all through college golf. Then one day someone suggested I try on a pair of Adidas Golf shoes. They felt good and looked awesome too. So, I bought my 1st Tour 360's and haven't looked back sense.
However, I'm not against trying new things. THP has been a huge help when that comes to finding new products to try. With all the unbiased reviews here, and help from you all when asked, it's great.

I do prefer the feel of some brands over others so i tend to gravitate to those

For me it doesn't play a huge factor. I am currently playing a set of Reid Lockhart forged irons that most people have probably never even heard of. Next I have an Royal Collection bag on the way that I know none of the people I play with have heard of, though they are big in the Asian market. I like to give things a chance that I find at good prices.

I'd like to say i've never been a club snob, but i've been guilty in the past for paying too much money for a club that had a specific name on the sole. I think everyone does that a little bit. I definitely have my biases. Always been a fan of Titleist woods. My old mizuno irons still have a soft spot for me. When looking at new clubs i usually start with those two companies, but i've never been against trying out different brands. I just know what i'm comfortable with, aesthetically and from a performance standpoint so I tend to stay pretty close to those standards.

I have never cared what brand i use most of my clubs are now MD which are a not so well known brand but they are slowly taking over my bag, got to say they have replaced my wedges and now fairway wood and hybrid as they was what suited me best in my budget when i wanted to change them.

I never refuse to try something because it's a "lower end" brand but always try something that is "higher end". If that makes any sense at all. So I do think Brand reputation does carry some weight, with me anyways.

I like keeping the brands the same to be uniform but I know that's the beginner in me and my way of thinking. When I bought my Cleveland I just liked the classic look of it and it it's the lightest in the PGA Tour (in 2013) so that was interesting to me as well. Otherwise I like matching sets and I know Nike has been great recently in the golf equipment world.

How's this for being loyal to a brand?

6y4a7usy.jpg

Back