SeeMore SPi Fitting and Instruction

Kind of an off the wall type of question.

I have been wanting to go to a SPI coach, however, the only "close" coach is at a private country club in the area. Do you have to be a member to meet with him for a lesson?

I have been wanting to go to a SPI coach, however, the only "close" coach is at a private country club in the area. Do you have to be a member to meet with him for a lesson?

I doubt it.

Got my first 2 putting drills to do this week and he caught me looking up on my follow through. Really the 1st time since high school I've decided to work hard on putting. Already so different mentally.

Got my first 2 putting drills to do this week and he caught me looking up on my follow through. Really the 1st time since high school I've decided to work hard on putting. Already so different mentally.

I can't wait to see where this takes your game.

Me and the Mrs maybe headed to Nashville soon and I'm thinking if sliding into SeeMore for a fitting at HQ

You should read "Extraordinary Putting" by Fred Shoemaker. There are some great mental exercises to help you get rid of this problem. Glad to see this is working for you, Nate! I know my instruction with Jim has been priceless. Not just for my putting and chipping, but for my entire game. There is so much that you can take from the putting instruction to utilize in the rest of your game.

I was honestly most surprised that you truly went into Franklin with the mindset to embrace the SPi, I'm not being snarky there, I just know you are a prove it to me kinda guy with some things, and seeing you realize that this WILL make your game better gave me one of the biggest smiles of the weekend.

It works, and it WILL change your game.

I was honestly most surprised that you truly went into Franklin with the mindset to embrace the SPi, I'm not being snarky there, I just know you are a prove it to me kinda guy with some things, and seeing you realize that this WILL make your game better gave me one of the biggest smiles of the weekend.

It works, and it WILL change your game.

You and me both. And I thought Nate was a good putter to begin with. Did not realize he didn't know that he jabbed at the ball when putting. Very happy to see him try this and improve his game even more.

What club or what teacher? Will be happy to introduce the two of you.

What club or what teacher? Will be happy to introduce the two of you.

Awesome. Flat out awesome.

Teacher: Kenny Clark
Club: Country Club of Petersburg

I will PM you my email address/phone number.

Awesome. Flat out awesome.

Teacher: Kenny Clark
Club: Country Club of Petersburg

I will PM you my email address/phone number.

SeeMore is just flat out awesome. I knew nothing about them before the MC. Now I'm in love with them and their representatives. Just great people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This weekend was very good for me, in fact, it was a solid amount of validation in my relationship with SPi and why I believe in it like I do.

THIS IS NOT MY RECAP! This is about SPi, so thats why its here.

I've been quiet in here a bit but a lot of work has been being done on my putting game, namely getting my eyes forward a bit and my shoulders level which has allowed for a more repetitive stroke and eliminated my main miss I had been seeing. Essentially, I was hanging back a bit and this caused my stroke to have to cut the ball just a slight bit, level shoulders and eyes a bit more forward (toward the HOLE, not the ball) is the key.

But now, back to this weekend. I got to pick the brains of Ted and Cody a lot this weekend on a variety of things and Ben was also a wealth of knowledge shared with all of us at the event, some things I differ from him on philosophically, but it was absolutely a tremendous learning time.

I'm going to have to travel up and see Ted to take a lesson one on one with him just because I really want to, the respect that I have for him and his role in SPi is greater than I have words for, but more importantly he's ans genuine and honest as they come, gotta love that. Lots of conversation with him about getting the putters in peoples hands and explaining the RST and SPi properly, I loved it.

With Cody I had some specific questions for him while he was with my group on Saturday on course, namely using the line on the ball to align putts. Brady and I have talked at length about this and he is an 8 foot and in kind of guy and I have always agreed with that as IMO outside of that you are just over-analyzing things. I struggle with my left eye dominance and being a right handed putter during alignment at times so I brought the 8 and in topic up to Cody and he hit me with an angle I'd not thought of, if you don't practice EVERY SINGLE PUTT during your practice from that range then it can easily do much more harm than good, PLUS, its easy to focus in on getting that line on the ball just right and in the meantime lose focus on the stroke which is the key from the start. This makes 100% perfect sense for me, yes, we are ALL DIFFERENT, but for me, I putt so much better focusing on the stroke and where I want my line rather than the line on the actual ball and where it is aimed. Plus, at SeeMore HQ Sat night he had me come over and align the line at the hole across the fitting room, he then turned the lights off and turned the laser on...my line was literally no where to be seen because it was shining through the window 3 feet right of the hole. Validation on not using the line on the ball for me if I ever saw it hahahahaha!

Ben gave us his putting charts that Erik has been using in the cyber lesson thread and I will be using them from now on, my only thoughts putting this weekend were high side and perfect pace (hole to two feet past) and it paid dividends. Also, to see how many low sides I had Sat that essentially meant I never had a chance was really good for me. These are stats I will be recording from here on in, period. SO MUCH information feedback at the end of a round, I love it.

My putting was extremely solid all weekend (except when I had to use Troy's putter bc mine was in the cart, dammit Troy! hehe) and it has continued on today in my session since I got home. To get positive feedback on what I have been doing being correct and good form was huge for me, as I mentioned it may sound bad but it was really validation for me to a large extent. Also, I got to help some others with their putting in the SPi technique and its something I'm incredibly passionate about helping other with, I'm a teacher so it comes naturally, but its so much more when its something you believe in entirely, and I believe in SPi.

I actually talked to Ted a bit (through email) seeing if there was anything they might be able to teach a sidesaddler like me (I recently purchased a SeeMore SB1 putter that they made to my sidesaddle specs - and I love it!)

Unfortunately he knew nothing about how to teach sidesaddle. But he seemed like a great guy.

Anyways... How could I get my hands on a few of those putt tracking cards? I think they could really help me out.......

I have been working hard on my green reading and pace over the last few weeks. Today a few things clicked and it feels really good. I am really going to focus on these two things over the next week and I think I am done swinging a club before the Morgan Cup. The great thing is the green reading has helped the rest of my short game as well.

I had my first true SPI lesson & fitting at SeeMore HQ this week with Cody.

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect as this was my first putting lesson. I hit started by rolling putts on the putting green that break can be added which was a great as line and speed was super important.

We went into the studio and looked at my putters and I rolled a few putts, Cody took a pic of me at address and we looked at it and how hunched over I was. He showed me a better stance/more natural posture. Then we worked on me getting into that stance/posture with the SPI ball then him handing me a putter with out me moving.

Next we messed around with different putter lengths as well as eye position at address. The proper length put my eyes just inside the ball/over the heel of the putter.

Next we looked at my alignment which lead to me moving my left/front foot back a hair to release the putter better. This then lead to working on the stroke with a laser pointed down the line and a rod just down the line just out side the toe. The object of this was to keep me from swinging right and get me making an arc stroke. Seeing how my stroke didn't keep the laser outside the shaft was super helpful to me in correcting it.

We then moved to a line they have marked on the putting green, that is square to the hole and I started rolling putts, rattle rattle rattle one after the other dropped. I made 100% from 9ft 6in at this point I was blown away. Next we moved to the center of the putting area where I putted 3 balls at 3 different holes and I drained 2/3 and missed the last because I was lined up off but rolled the ball where I was aimed(pee Cody)

With my new specs I left my putters to be extended and re-gripped. When I came back to pick them up I got a tour from Cody of the warehouse and a peak at the colored shafts that are in testing.

I am so glad I took the opportunity and time to visit HQ and get my lesson and fitting with Cody.

Cody is a great guy and an awesome instructor and knows how to get the message across to you in a clear understandable fashion.

A huge thanks to Cody for his time and instruction and SeeMore for a great product and having awesome staff.

Since so many guys here use & love the drill using the orange ball, I thought I'd post this picture of Chris Carfangia giving a lesson to 35 THPers at Pine Lakes Golf Club in Hubbard OH yesterday!

ChrisCarfangia2_zpsceebffad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Chris recommended holding the ball in the fingertips as you swing. This creates a constant feeling of the weight by using upper torso to make the swing. By using your shoulders the ball will drop down to the finger tips thus creating a heavier feel in the finger tips.

The idea is you should get a better feel of the swing.

He also talked about how people say "rock the shoulders" but pointed out that each shoulder moves independently of the other, so it's better to have an image of the swing turning around the sternum.

The other cool thing he discussed was the grip (wish I had pix or video of this :angry:). Chris talked about how 78% (I think that was the number) of golfers miss their short/medium length putts to the right, mainly because they grip the club & when they relax their arms, the left (front) arm naturally rotates inward (for most people) which moves the face open slightly. He showed us how to grip it without this happening. He also showed us that when the index finger of the left hand is raised off the club (to fit the fingers of the right hand fitting underneath), this braces the left arm/wrist (you can feel it tighten up & see/feel the tendons flexing).

Thanks again to Chris for all the instruction & putting together a fantastic time yesterday!

Since so many guys here use & love the drill using the orange ball, I thought I'd post this picture of Chris Carfangia giving a lesson to 35 THPers at Pine Lakes Golf Club in Hubbard OH yesterday!

ChrisCarfangia2_zpsceebffad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Chris recommended holding the ball in the fingertips as you swing. This creates a constant feeling of the weight by using upper torso to make the swing. By using your shoulders the ball will drop down to the finger tips thus creating a heavier feel in the finger tips.

The idea is you should get a better feel of the swing.

He also talked about how people say "rock the shoulders" but pointed out that each shoulder moves independently of the other, so it's better to have an image of the swing turning around the sternum.

The other cool thing he discussed was the grip (wish I had pix or video of this :angry:). Chris talked about how 78% (I think that was the number) of golfers miss their short/medium length putts to the right, mainly because they grip the club & when they relax their arms, the left (front) arm naturally rotates inward (for most people) which moves the face open slightly. He showed us how to grip it without this happening. He also showed us that when the index finger of the left hand is raised off the club (to fit the fingers of the right hand fitting underneath), this braces the left arm/wrist (you can feel it tighten up & see/feel the tendons flexing).

Thanks again to Chris for all the instruction & putting together a fantastic time yesterday!

Great work and great write up!

So I finally got a chance to set up my Birdieball putting green again, along with my Putting Professor. I played around with Chris Carfangia's advice about gripping the putter. Basically I did the following:

Standing normally inwith my arms relaxed at my side, with the putter resting on my thigh. My hands (like most people) naturally turn inward. I try to maintain this inward angle as I place each hand on the grip.

I'm still figuring out how to make the two hands in their new positions comfortable - it feels a little strange. BUT - early results appear to be great. My stroke seems easier to keep on line. Balls are tracking like lasers one after the next. I just feel less tension, and the putter head seems to drop naturally onto the ball via gravity. I think I'm seeing less movement (i.e., unnecessary rotation) in the putter head during the backswing.

Can't wait to groove this & take it to the course (in April :angry:)!

Thanks again to SeeMore & SPi instructor extrordinaire Chris!

So I finally got a chance to set up my Birdieball putting green again, along with my Putting Professor. I played around with Chris Carfangia's advice about gripping the putter. Basically I did the following:

Standing normally inwith my arms relaxed at my side, with the putter resting on my thigh. My hands (like most people) naturally turn inward. I try to maintain this inward angle as I place each hand on the grip.

I'm still figuring out how to make the two hands in their new positions comfortable - it feels a little strange. BUT - early results appear to be great. My stroke seems easier to keep on line. Balls are tracking like lasers one after the next. I just feel less tension, and the putter head seems to drop naturally onto the ball via gravity. I think I'm seeing less movement (i.e., unnecessary rotation) in the putter head during the backswing.

Can't wait to groove this & take it to the course (in April :angry:)!

Thanks again to SeeMore & SPi instructor extrordinaire Chris!

Grins - thanks for the post. Look for a new item that Pat O'Brien has made for your grip. - http://www.patobriengolf.com - will keep you up to date.

Awesome reference! Thanks for showing this - I had never checked out Pat's website.

I really loved this video of his:

Pat makes getting the hands on the grip without causing tension seem so easy & natural! This was my aim when I described what I did a couple of posts ago, but I'll have to check & compare what I did with this video & see what's better for me (probably very close to the same thing, but Pat's method looks effortless)

Thanks again to SeeMore & Pat O'Brien!

I'm tempted to get one of his Perfect Putting Grips

Not as much for me but for my kids and for my high school golf team. I teach a few of them and most are admittedly not good putters. I figure we can work on their grip & technique as part of an applied physics lab lol!

Very good video. "Thumbs are irrelevant" is the biggest take away from that video for me.

Very good video. "Thumbs are irrelevant" is the biggest take away from that video for me.
I love the no thumbs drill!

For anyone that's late to the party:

A lot of Seemore aficianados & SPi users seem to be favoring the Garsen grips to help promotes a better swing:

http://www.thpgolf.com/forum/showthread.php?64163-Garsen-Golf-Grips-Review

http://www.thpgolf.com/forum/showth...view-Thread-G-Pro-Edge-G-Pro-MAX-and-Ultimate

(Not sure why there are two separate threads)

One is the thread containing the link to the actual review, one is the leadup and update thread as Hawk put them to their paces before writing the full review.

I'm finishing up a spotlight on Pat's Perfect Putting Grip and let me say this, it's silly simple with the stickers, yes, but it's silly effective. I know me as an SPi guy will be keeping one on one of my seemores for the purpose of practice. The grip is a little thing that is a big thing.

Brilliant little device/aid.

Back