Went and looked today at both Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg. Out of the two, I think I prefer the Kamado Joe due to it coming with the accessories for the same price. Both are highly regarded as some of the best in the industry.

Tomorrow GG and I have to be out of the office preparing a few things for the upcoming weeks and there is a grill store near the area that carries Primo, Saphire and another brand that I will take a look at.

Shane that pizza and chicken looked sooooo good.

How long does it take to heat up? I know you said 5 minutes to get the wood right if you have a blower?

I'm interested in the small right now.

Im not Shane, but from my research and talking to people, I have heard no more than 10 minutes.

Lots of good reading here guys, I've been in the market for a Kamado style BBQ for the last few months and have been researching these at the local BBQ emporium and have come to the following conclusions:

BGE is the way to go for ceramics. Vision and other brands have weaker ceramics and are more prone to cracking when going up to pizza temperature. SO, you get what you pay for with a BGE to an extent, (up here a Vision is 50% the price of a BGE, and the Vision comes fully kitted out with a stand/cover and such). The BGE for me would be $1,150 BEFORE a stand, cover, tables (the basics, nothing fancy) which is getting hefty.

For me, the ULTIMATE is the Broil King Keg 4000 (http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/keg/keg-4000.html). This baby is made out of a double walled steel keg with rust proof ceramic and other coatings on it. All in I would be $1,000 with tax for the BBQ and cover and accessories since it already comes with a stand/tables. These will handle the 800+ degrees for pizzas easy and I feel are much more durably constructed than any ceramic grille. They also use things like oven door seals around the opening instead of felt so that it is easier to replace and potentially more durable. For those of you who go places with your grilles, these can also be mounted to the back of your truck for transportation via a $50 trailer hitch adapter. Also, these Broil Kings are the same size as a large BGE, so BGE accessories will drop right in without any trouble.
The Broil King's grille can be set at two height levels just like the BGE, but this one also comes with a secondary grille that mounts to the primary one and is elevated so that you can be smoking heavier meats on the main grille and lighter vegetables or something else on the top one.

The Broil King has every ability that the keg has in terms of keeping charcoal lit for long periods of time and based on a discussion I had at Christmas between my friend's dad who has a BGE and his friend who has a Broil King, they agreed that the Broil King actually creates moister meat somehow.

Due to the design of either grille, they are ready to use in about 15 minutes (same as it takes my natural gas grille to warm up) and just make everything so much better. (Can you tell I've drank the Kamado-flavoured Kool-Aid?)

Josh does the Komodo Joe also have the lifetime warranty?

Im not Shane, but from my research and talking to people, I have heard no more than 10 minutes.

Without a blower it takes about 10 minutes to get to 250 then it will rocket after that. be ready to cut the ventilation shafts if you are wanting it around 400 (most grilling I do at 400, unless searing something)

Make sure and stir the charcoal everytime before you light it and clean the bottom grate.

How long does it take to heat up? I know you said 5 minutes to get the wood right if you have a blower?

Don't get the small Alex, get the medium at least. Unless of course you are getting the small and the X-Large lol
I would actually like to have 2 BGE. A small for quick grilling and X Large for smoking and or lots of grilling.
If you lived closer I bet I could make you a deal could not refuse on my large :p

Don't get the small Alex, get the medium at least. Unless of course you are getting the small and the X-Large lol
I would actually like to have 2 BGE. A small for quick grilling and X Large for smoking and or lots of grilling.
If you lived closer I bet I could make you a deal could not refuse on my large :p

Haha, after reading the thread and doing some light reading on these, this is definitely in my future. Current living situation, based on the specs, I would probably have to go small. but I see what you mean in terms of cooking space, I should go with the medium. Well if there is a Branson event next year, maybe I'll be road tripping it with a trailer :)

BGE is the way to go for ceramics. Vision and other brands have weaker ceramics and are more prone to cracking when going up to pizza temperature.

Man it is very interesting how different geography plays a role in the feedback given. FWIW, I dont believe for a second that the ceramics are weaker on brands such as Primo, Kamado Joe and a few others. In fact many would argue that the Kamado Joe has stronger ceramics and the thickness backs that up to a degree.

Also very interesting about the Keg, because I have half a dozen friends that have them and all but two have added Kamados to their backyard kitchens and every one of them says the ceramic is better.

Im sure geography plays a large role here of course and much of it comes down to personal preference.

Josh does the Komodo Joe also have the lifetime warranty?

They do brother. Primo is only 20 years.

Like I have told Pete and many others, there does not have to be a THP event for you to come to Springfield/Branson (although a THP event in Branson would be awesome)

I am going to do a chicken on the vertical rack Thursday, wait until you see the pictures of that :)

Haha, after reading the thread and doing some light reading on these, this is definitely in my future. Current living situation, based on the specs, I would probably have to go small. but I see what you mean in terms of cooking space, I should go with the medium. Well if there is a Branson event next year, maybe I'll be road tripping it with a trailer :)

I honestly don't think you can wrong with Komodo Joe or BGE, I am just BGE partial because I have had such good luck with mine.

What accessories does Komodo Joe offer with the purchase?

Here are my must have accessories.

Plate setter (for indirect smoking)

V Rack (for ribs)

Vertical Rack (for chicken and turkey)

Man it is very interesting how different geography plays a role in the feedback given. FWIW, I dont believe for a second that the ceramics are weaker on brands such as Primo, Kamado Joe and a few others. In fact many would argue that the Kamado Joe has stronger ceramics and the thickness backs that up to a degree.

Also very interesting about the Keg, because I have half a dozen friends that have them and all but two have added Kamados to their backyard kitchens and every one of them says the ceramic is better.

Im sure geography plays a large role here of course and much of it comes down to personal preference.

They do brother. Primo is only 20 years.

I honestly don't think you can wrong with Komodo Joe or BGE, I am just BGE partial because I have had such good luck with mine.

What accessories does Komodo Joe offer with the purchase?

Here are my must have accessories.

Plate setter (for indirect smoking)

V Rack (for ribs)

Vertical Rack (for chicken and turkey)

The irony is that with purchase (same price as egg), you get the "nest", deflector plate, side tables and a few more things included. Side tables made out of real wood too. They also have larger temp gauge, better gasket (based on just about every expert review) and thicker ceramic.

The egg has a few things going for it. Distributorship for any warranty issues is light years ahead of everybody else. Solid time proven construction.

In my opinion the three at the top being BGE, Kamado Joe and Primo, you are on a pretty good fence. Fall any which way and you get a tremendous piece of equipment.

You're absolutely correct. The salesmen and managers I have spoken to at the various BBQ store locations here have never specified the time of year that they experience warranty returns, but I would bet they occur when Calgary is touching the -30C mark.

What makes your friends say the ceramics are better than the steel grilles? I still might be swayed to drop the extra coin on a ceramic...

You're absolutely correct. The salesmen and managers I have spoken to at the various BBQ store locations here have never specified the time of year that they experience warranty returns, but I would bet they occur when Calgary is touching the -30C mark.

What makes your friends say the ceramics are better than the steel grilles? I still might be swayed to drop the extra coin on a ceramic...

Spoke to my friend Todd this morning about them. He is a serious griller and smoker and asked about this very topic, because kegs down here are much less dollar for dollar than the ceramics. He said low temp and high temp heat retention is downright no comparison between the ceramic and the keg. He also said he needs more "fuel" (meaning lump) to keep temps perfect in the keg.

He has decided to use the Keg only for mobile solutions such as tailgating due to its (according to him) inferior temperature control abilities.

As ridiculous as it sounds, an electric smoker has some pretty big advantages over a Kamado style grill when it comes to smoking (convenience, price, preparation, being able to turn it on and go to bed). However, I have been eyeballing Kamado grills for a while now. I want one badly, but I just don't think I would get $1000 worth of use out of it.

With all that included, I would go Komodo joe for sure!!!!

Like I told Alex above, I am going to do a vertical chicken Thursday, then a brisket this weekend, if you have not purchased by then, you will after you see the pictures :D

A lot of my friends say these grills are to expensive, I just did the math, and as of today mine has cost me 34 cents a day, I wish our golf clubs were that cheap lol :D

The irony is that with purchase (same price as egg), you get the "nest", deflector plate, side tables and a few more things included. Side tables made out of real wood too. They also have larger temp gauge, better gasket (based on just about every expert review) and thicker ceramic.

The egg has a few things going for it. Distributorship for any warranty issues is light years ahead of everybody else. Solid time proven construction.

In my opinion the three at the top being BGE, Kamado Joe and Primo, you are on a pretty good fence. Fall any which way and you get a tremendous piece of equipment.

As ridiculous as it sounds, an electric smoker has some pretty big advantages over a Kamado style grill when it comes to smoking (convenience, price, preparation, being able to turn it on and go to bed). However, I have been eyeballing Kamado grills for a while now. I want one badly, but I just don't think I would get $1000 worth of use out of it.

Agreed. However it also has some major disadvantages starting with the type of smoke it produces (can put off more of a bitter taste). But the big difference is that it is merely a smoker, where as the Kamado offers smoking, grilling and of course super high heat pizza oven.

With all that included, I would go Komodo joe for sure!!!!

Like I told Alex above, I am going to do a vertical chicken Thursday, then a brisket this weekend, if you have not purchased by then, you will after you see the pictures :D

A lot of my friends say these grills are to expensive, I just did the math, and as of today mine has cost me 34 cents a day, I wish our golf clubs were that cheap lol :D

Looking forward to those pictures.

See my post above, you can get your moneys worth out of it lol.
I have had electric smokers in the past, and always wanted something better every year, so my first electric smoker was $200, next one was $350 and so on. I have not wanted anything else since 2006 :)

Note: I do not work for BGE and do not get a commission from them lmao :D

That is true josh, as awesome as mine is as a smoker, I think it is even better as a grill, I guess I better grill some Porterhouse steaks this week to tease even more.
Get it to about 650, sear each side for about 2 minutes, then cut all the air and take it whatever doneness you want and it is heaven!!!

Agreed. However it also has some major disadvantages starting with the type of smoke it produces (can put off more of a bitter taste). But the big difference is that it is merely a smoker, where as the Kamado offers smoking, grilling and of course super high heat pizza oven.

Looking forward to those pictures.

That is true josh, as awesome as mine is as a smoker, I think it is even better as a grill, I guess I better grill some Porterhouse steaks this week to tease even more.
Get it to about 650, sear each side for about 2 minutes, then cut all the air and take it whatever doneness you want and it is heaven!!!

I like that philosophy. Bring air to get it up to the temp of 650 and then cut and go until ready as the coal burns out. Heck in that amount of time, you can most likely reuse coal over and over too.

I get the 20 lb bag of natural lump real wood charcoal and the bag will last a couple months, and as you know I use mine ALOT!!!

I like that philosophy. Bring air to get it up to the temp of 650 and then cut and go until ready as the coal burns out. Heck in that amount of time, you can most likely reuse coal over and over too.

Interesting! I have *heard* (I really wish I had my own experiences to tout instead of what people have been telling me) that the Keg retains heat like crazy, but can be more difficult to maintain a low temperature due to its seemingly built-in will to get hot. I figure that shouldn't be too much of a bother since I plan on using it a lot (I expect failures, but will be practicing as much as possible to get the right technique) or buying an electric fan kit for it to automatically regulate the heat.

Spoke to my friend Todd this morning about them. He is a serious griller and smoker and asked about this very topic, because kegs down here are much less dollar for dollar than the ceramics. He said low temp and high temp heat retention is downright no comparison between the ceramic and the keg. He also said he needs more "fuel" (meaning lump) to keep temps perfect in the keg.

He has decided to use the Keg only for mobile solutions such as tailgating due to its (according to him) inferior temperature control abilities.

My friend just got an electric smoker as a house warming gift. It's a box with an oven element on the bottom with a fluid tray and a wood tray just above the element. So far we've smoked chickens, ribs and a few other random meats on it and I have to say I'm really unimpressed with his model. It does a good job of keeping the meats moist, but I have yet to witness a smoke ring in any of his meats or a distinctly smokey flavour. More practice is needed.

I like doing steaks that way, you can sear to the juiciness in it. Use a digital thermometer, do not cut the steak to see if its done. After a couple times you will know by looking at it :)

I like doing steaks that way, you can sear to the juiciness in it. Use a digital thermometer, do not cut the steak to see if its done. After a couple times you will know by looking at it :)
Man if you keep talking about all this food and keep posting the pictures that you do you are going to have some hungry THP members knocking on the door . That pizza looked so good it made me want to go out and buy one just so I could cook my own.

Omg you guys are killing me. I want one now. If these last that long the cost is no issue. Grills don't last nearly as long as it sounds like these do. I also now want to make a trip to Branson...

Back