The Crossing Golf Club Review - Glen Allen, VA

Martsy

Reaction score
Handicap
18.5 GHIN
I'll admit, in the 18 months or so I've been playing golf in the Richmond area, I had not played this course until this past Father's Day. The reason for this is early on last year, while playing in a random foursome at another course, someone had mentioned this course and the "horrible" playing conditions, and I just kind of wrote it off. Another detractor for me, as I primarily play as a single. is it doesn't allow you to reserve a tee-time online. Now I would never expect to reserve a single tee time on an unused foursome, but most of the other courses around here is there's a 2 or 3 person group reserved, will show the remaining spot available for a single person to sign up, which I very much appreciate. The Crossing's will do it over the phone, which is just a small nuisance comparatively to the other courses i play (omg I need to talk to someone!).

For anyone interested in checking this course out, one nuance i'll save you from that cause me to drive around for an extra 15 minutes until i finally asked someone off the street. You have to go through a community gate (which opens up after you pull up to it) to get to the course.

Without getting too far ahead of my review, I'll just say that since Father's Day, I've played two more times. I can't believe I've overlooked this course so long, and i plan on remedying the rest of this season.

Intro (from the website) http://www.thecrossingsgc.com/
Located in the midst of American Civil War battlefields, The Crossings Golf Club in Richmond, Virginia is a Joe Lee-designed, 18-hole championship layout. A "must play" in the central Virginia area, The Crossings is an easy drive from the Washington D.C. area and a great place for travelers to stop along I-95.

Once the northern border of the Chickahominy Swamp during the Civil War, The Crossings was a hiding place for outlaws and staging area for troop movements in the pivotal Richmond, Virginia area. Now, it's known as one of the commonwealth's top 10 public golf courses. The Crossings Golf Club is one of the most playable and scenic championship tests of golf in southern Virginia.

The Joe Lee-designed layout makes optimal use of the natural landscape in what was once known as the Halfe Sink area. The Crossings features rolling fairways that are bordered by dense forest and strategically placed bunkers. The front nine offers several holes that begin with an elevated tee shot to the landing area below.

The Crossings has held various events such as qualifying for the U.S. Public Links Championship, Web.com Tour qualifying and is the first choice for over 100 corporate outings each year.

Known for its historical ties to the civil war, Richmond has grown into a metropolitan city with old world ethnic and cultural roots. Richmond is a sporting city - home to several professional teams including a stop each year by the NASCAR circuit. Conveniently located in central Virginia, The Crossings Golf Club is just 110 miles south of Washington D.C. and 100 miles from the state's splendid beaches and scenic Shenandoah mountains.

The Course

crossing_zps9534022f.png

The Practice Area - C+

I struggle with this rating probably most of all, because there are a couple of courses around here with no range whatsoever, so just having one is a plus. That being said, they have a range, putting green, and sand trap practice areas. The green and practice area's are fine, very similar to what you'll see on the course which is always important. The driving range leaves a little to be desired. It's situated very close to the club house, parallel to hole #1, and basically surrounded by trees and other course holes. I've only used it once, and on that day, it was mats only, with about 15 stations available. Thankfully, the day i used it, i was the only one out there and chose one in the middle...but I think even the straightest hitters our there might get a little nervous if you were using either of the end bays, as just a slight mishit and you're ending up in someone's fairway. Remarkably, i didn't see many range balls on the course, so either it's just me, or the trees are mostly effective in protecting errant balls. the mats themselves were pretty crummy condition, and after hitting a couple iron shots, i stuck to using a tee for a few fairway/driver warmups and was on my way. In subsequent trips, I saw grass opened up, which probably would up my rating to a B minus.

Course Conditions - B+

Tee boxes are mostly level and fully grassed, honestly some of the nicer I've seen in the area. They're a little brown in areas, but we've had very little rain in the last 30 days and the fact there's any green is remarkable.

Fairways kind of the same. There are some more bare patches, especially off the sides on some holes, but for the most part lush, which again is a statement to the grounds crew with virtually no rain.

The rough is is well maintained as well, as there's very little wild growth on the course. I think it's primarily Fescue grass, and it's not hard to lose a ball just off the fairway if you don't watch closely. Hitting out of it is a crap shoot I'd found, as sometime your club gets twisted up in it, and others I had no problem.

Sandtraps were also well maintained, but the sand feels heavy, if that makes any sense. A couple bunkers on the course were in a little worse shape, and harder than the norm.

Greens were in excellent shape, and definitely not as fast as some of the other courses in the area. The only complaint i'd make is the area around the greens is probably the worst shape of any area on the course, with lots of bare areas and does not appear it's a large focus of the grounds crew. Frankly, I didn't really even think much of it until i looked back at some of the pictures i took. You can see what I'm referring to in the picture below (side note, that is my ball, 191 par 3...left it 5 feet from the hole in what is probably the best shot of my life. Unfortunately, i followed it up with the worst put of my life and ending up parring it :at-wits-end:)

WP_20140711_13_52_15_Pro_zps1186c286.jpg

The Layout - B+

I've played this course from the blues and the whites, and they were both offered a distinctly different experience. Even from the blues, which are tips, it's not a very long course at just under 6700 yards...but almost every hole is guarded by trees and you will pay the price for not being straight. The holes that aren't lined with trees have water instead, including a couple par 3's that force a carry over water which can play with your head. It's not, however, the hardest course in the area, and I'd probably rank it as average in overall difficulty.

WP_20140711_14_08_51_Pro_zpsb9146ab4.jpg

Pace of Play - B

On Father's day, one of the busiest days of the year and a packed schedule, I tee'd off at 7:30 with about 5 groups ahead of us, and we were done in less than 4 hours 20 minutes, which I think is ultimately the golf courses expectation, as every time I've been there, the pace of play sign has been set to that. For some that may be too long, but I find it acceptable, especially on a busy day. I've since played once as a single, and had groups let me play through, and was done in out 3 hours. There was a marshall on the course, but he seems to focus on a two hole area where admittedly the most time spent looking for balls occurs, and he even helped me find one of mine that saved me some time.

WP_20140711_13_57_11_Pro_zpsb9325598.jpg

Price - B

At $49 w/ cart on weekdays, and $59 w/ cart on weekends, it falls more or less in line with pricing in the area, and not something that would influence me either way in terms of this course. The do occasionally have specials and events on their website, from a free bucket of range balls to some meal incentive, so it's worth checking out.

Amenities - B-

The clubhouse itself is on the small side, quaint but does the trick. The pro shop has a nice selection of balls, but predominantly Bridgestone (perfect for me!). The dining area consists of a small bar and a few tables inside, with a deck off the back to sit and watch the people coming in off 18 while enjoying a beer and burger (note, i have not eaten here yet).

Out on the course, there has been a cart girl all three times, even on an early Friday afternoon. Water was set up on 4 or 5 holes that i can remember. Just enough that by the time i was getting thirsty, there was one on the next hole. I don't think I saw any bathrooms outside of the clubhouse, which with the amount of trees out there poses little problem for the gents...but could pose more difficulty for the ladies.

WP_20140711_15_09_34_Pro_zpse27f3b13.jpg

Overall - B

I don't think there's one aspect after playing this course a few times that I'd rave about, but conversely, nothing i really hated or left a bad taste in my mouth. Would I drive 100 miles to play this course? No (i would not recommend for a THP outing, for example). But will I add it to my regular local rotation? Absolutely. This course is just an overall nice time, offering a challenging yet not ridiculous hard round on a well maintained course, and even at 90-100 degrees, tons of shade from the surrounding trees that I really did not get overly hot or uncomfortable playing.

Very nice review!

Great review. Very comprehensive and insightful. Are the blue and white tees really only 45 yards total diffetence while 900 from white to gold?

Great review. Very comprehensive and insightful. Are the blue and white tees really only 45 yards total difference while 900 from white to gold?

good catch...that's a typo. White is 6,229 yards. I should have added they are a little sloppy with the typos. And that's on their printed scorecard. And their online scorecard shows the slopes as 128/126 when in fact they're 138/134. (blue/white)

I really like the historical aspect of the course.

Nice review Martsy.

We played this course on a cold damp 50 degree day in March of last year when in town for the CAA Tournament.

I really enjoyed it. Your comment about being tree lined is so true. I remember thinking it's probably very pretty in the summer when everything is green. And probably spectacular with the fall color changing.

I would definitely play it again if I was down that way.

Great review! I actually played there this past Sunday. The course was in great shape and crazy dead on a weekend morning. I played with one other person and finished in three hours, which is pretty much unheard of in Richmond.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice review. I played there with my Dad in April on our way down to the Masters and I'd agree with everything you said. We played early in the season so anything off the fairway was incredibly hard to find in the brown grass. Even some of the fairways were difficult to find balls in due to the color. Your pictures make it look much greener than I remember.

Nice review. I've got lots of family in the area. I will try to check it out next time I'm up there.

Spot on with the review, nicely done. I try to get around to a bunch of different courses and to me there wasn't anything special about The Crossings when I played it in late 2012. At the same time, I didn't hate it either but it was a little over priced. If I'm going to drive to Richmond to play, it would be in the middle of my choices. I'd go to Providence, Independence (at least before they closed!), or Hunting Hawk first though.

Spot on with the review, nicely done. I try to get around to a bunch of different courses and to me there wasn't anything special about The Crossings when I played it in late 2012. At the same time, I didn't hate it either but it was a little over priced. If I'm going to drive to Richmond to play, it would be in the middle of my choices. I'd go to Providence, Independence (at least before they closed!), or Hunting Hawk first though.

Yea, Hunting Hawk is still my go to right now (i'll probably play that this weekend), though Westham is really intriguing, it's just an extra 20 miles for me and only 9 holes right now...but no more challenging public golf in Richmond area in my opinion. Though ultimately, I'm really waiting to see what they do with Independence. Very good chance I end up joining when it reopens.

I am a native Virginian, during my junior high and high school years, I lived in Henrico County not to far from the Crossings location. While not that often, when I do visit relatives, I will play the Crossings because of its convenient location and I've never had a problem getting on as a single. More importantly, I have never joined a group of golfers that were not friendly, even the VT graduates welcomed the Wahoo. However, during my next visit, I have been told that I should forgo the Crossings and play a course called the Independence, or something to that effect.

Nice review. I've got lots of family in the area. I will try to check it out next time I'm up there.

I have been to this course and honestly I would try somewhere else. There just was never really any "it" factor for me that was wanting me to say that I wanted to play it again. It felt like your typical VA course and I think you could find better, but thats just me.

I am a native Virginian, during my junior high and high school years, I lived in Henrico County not to far from the Crossings location. While not that often, when I do visit relatives, I will play the Crossings because of its convenient location and I've never had a problem getting on as a single. More importantly, I have never joined a group of golfers that were not friendly, even the VT graduates welcomed the Wahoo. However, during my next visit, I have been told that I should forgo the Crossings and play a course called the Independence, or something to that effect.

Independence is/was fantastic. If it's still open. I heard a rumor it was closing. I certainly hope not. It is a great Fazio layout.

Maybe some of the locals can chime in.

Independence is/was fantastic. If it's still open. I heard a rumor it was closing. I certainly hope not. It is a great Fazio layout.

Maybe some of the locals can chime in.

It's closed for the summer (the par 3 course is still open). They're completely renovating the course and clubhouse, and i'm VERY excited about playing it next spring. Good chance I'll even join.

I have been to this course and honestly I would try somewhere else. There just was never really any "it" factor for me that was wanting me to say that I wanted to play it again. It felt like your typical VA course and I think you could find better, but thats just me.

I think I kind of indicated that in the review...it's not a "blow you away" track, though honestly in the 20 mile vicinity, there aren't really any that fit that bill that are public or semi-private today. I wouldn't travel here specifically to play it...but if you're in town visiting family, and looking fro a round, you could do at a LOT worse places.

If you were in town, the only two courses I might recommend for sure over it though, and not until next year, is Westham (9 hole until May 2014), and Independence (closed until next spring). The other is Hunting Hawk, which I find a bit more challenging, but it's also in worse shape in pretty much every aspect, and harder to get a decent tee time a single. That being said, I am playing Hunting Hawk this Saturday to change it up. (and maybe do a review)

Great review... I have played this course quite a few times and I think I agree with just about everything you have written.

Sure, there are better courses in the area, but this is a fun track that adds some challenge along with scoring opportunities.

Very good review, looks like amazing course. Love tricky greens, makes it much more intriguing. Great price point as well.

Back