The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

I still think Cleveland can get Love without including Wiggins. Look, I'd take Love over Wiggins and Bennett but I don't think they need to include Wiggins. Minnesota has no leverage right now so I hope Cleveland doesn't panic and include Wiggins. Patience Cleveland, patience.

Look at about the 9 minute mark Kevin's highlight passes and imagine Lebron being the receiver of some of these passes. Part 2 highlights of the first I posted. Exciting to think even now since Lebron wants him to play in Cleveland along side of him.

I still think Cleveland can get Love without including Wiggins. Look, I'd take Love over Wiggins and Bennett but I don't think they need to include Wiggins. Minnesota has no leverage right now so I hope Cleveland doesn't panic and include Wiggins. Patience Cleveland, patience.

I don't know. Just because they have no leverage, doesn't mean they are desperate. I'd rather let him walk and be completely awful for the next few years and get high draft picks than dump him for Bennett and hot trash and just be sort of horrible for a long time. Basketball purgatory is not the place to be. If you're going to suck, go all out. It's not like Cleveland can wait for Love to hit FA and sign him then. I don't think they'll have the cap room for him, so Cleveland would need the trade, as well.

I don't know. Just because they have no leverage, doesn't mean they are desperate. I'd rather let him walk and be completely awful for the next few years and get high draft picks than dump him for Bennett and hot trash and just be sort of horrible for a long time. Basketball purgatory is not the place to be. If you're going to suck, go all out. It's not like Cleveland can wait for Love to hit FA and sign him then. I don't think they'll have the cap room for him, so Cleveland would need the trade, as well.

This. It reminds me so much of the Bosh thing from before he went to Miami.

This. It reminds me so much of the Bosh thing from before he went to Miami.

It is an awful place to be, fan-wise. Towards the end of the McGrady/Yao era, Houston was the 9th seed in the west (with a winning record) for a few years in a row. Not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough for a "sure fire" first round pick, and no free agent wanted to play here. The owner said no tanking, so Houston had to rebuild through free agency/trades with no talent. If the Harden trade never happened, they'd still be in that situation. Sucking is the way to go for a few seasons since pulling for middling teams is so damn frustrating.

I just don't see Wiggins and Bennett being any good in the league. College is one thing but the big league is another and to me I get a gut feeling they will be average at best in the NBA. Too early to say but I have a feeling.

I just don't see Wiggins and Bennett being any good in the league. College is one thing but the big league is another and to me I get a gut feeling they will be average at best in the NBA. Too early to say but I have a feeling.

Could that feeling also be indigestion? :alien:

No comparison between Bennett and Wiggins. Bennett will be an average, serviceable player, but I think that Wiggins will be an all-star, at least. Too much hype surrounding him to be "average". He's no LeBron as early comparisons suggest, but I think that he will be a very good player in the NBA. Maybe not this year, but very soon. Once he gets comfortable after the NBA transition, look out.

Ya'll wouldn't believe the hype and hysteria of NE Ohio right now after he announced it. Absolute bedlam.

The Cavs are in a very interesting position and it's dominating talk shows here. Some want Wiggins and his long-term potential. Some want Love and the win-now mentality.

The deal is, if LBJ really did reach out to Love as has been reported, it's not impossible Love soon states publicly that he'll be signing with CLE long term if he's still with MIN or dealt to another team. That takes Wiggins off the table, as MIN would lose any leverage they have.

I texted a buddy that LBJ reached out to Love, and that the chances he comes to CLE were increasing. His reponse: "This never happens to us!"

Since Love is only 25 I think you have to give up Wiggins and Bennett (and reportedly next years 1st rounder). That gives them the young PG & SG, James (29) and Love (25) at the forward spots, who knows what at C and the bench still includes Tristan Thompson and the Miami castoffs. That's damn nice team. Given the relative weakness of the East you can virtually write that team in the finals. And they'll be competitive like that for years and years.

No comparison between Bennett and Wiggins. Bennett will be an average, serviceable player, but I think that Wiggins will be an all-star, at least. Too much hype surrounding him to be "average". He's no LeBron as early comparisons suggest, but I think that he will be a very good player in the NBA. Maybe not this year, but very soon. Once he gets comfortable after the NBA transition, look out.

big thing is "if". He does have years to develop but hopefully he can make the NBA transition and hope he doesn't Kwame Brown in the league. So much talented players out of college show great potential and majority can't follow through in the big league and end up being mediocre to forgotten in a few years while still in the league. I think Wiggins will be decent if he can be at least like Jerry Stackhouse or someone similar for the Cavs but hopefully even better but from what I've seen so far he's got potential. He's better defensively so that'll be even better if that develops for him. We'll stay tuned.

Varajao at center

I say they get Zydrunas Ilgaskas out of retirement.

Then coach K should come back to the NBA and make those decisions and we can see how wise he is in the front office.
And whats to say that Cleveland has not offered Wiggins, because it appears they have?
And whats to say that Cleveland does not view a long term success with Love and think trading away the future of the team is worth it?

Not sure if this was on the local or national portion of the LeBetard show today (sometimes it is hard to tell when the show is being nationally broadcast) but they had John Amaechi on who torched LeBron and Cleveland in general. Basically said LeBron's move was brilliant because he went from a situation where he was expected to win right away to one where he can suck for years and nobody will care (a very back-handed compliment). More or less called LeBron a coward. Also torched Cleveland (in a very nice way), calling the city an abused spouse (being so willing to take back someone who hurt them). Finished off by implying he wouldn't be surprised if LeBron jumps to a new team in a year or two. Sounded very nice, but the substance was very harsh.

Not sure if this was on the local or national portion of the LeBetard show today (sometimes it is hard to tell when the show is being nationally broadcast) but they had John Amaechi on who torched LeBron and Cleveland in general. Basically said LeBron's move was brilliant because he went from a situation where he was expected to win right away to one where he can suck for years and nobody will care (a very back-handed compliment). More or less called LeBron a coward. Also torched Cleveland (in a very nice way), calling the city an abused spouse (being so willing to take back someone who hurt them). Finished off by implying he wouldn't be surprised if LeBron jumps to a new team in a year or two. Sounded very nice, but the substance was very harsh.

Yeah I know Kareem kind of had it out for Lebron too taking stabs at Lebron coming back. Crazy stuff

Then coach K should come back to the NBA and make those decisions and we can see how wise he is in the front office.
And whats to say that Cleveland has not offered Wiggins, because it appears they have?
And whats to say that Cleveland does not view a long term success with Love and think trading away the future of the team is worth it?

It seems they have but off the bat it didn't seem that Cleveland first even considered it. Seems they changed their mind along the way which I get however it seemed to me right when it was mentioned that Love was intrigued by Lebron's decision and that Love would like to play for Cleveland it was a quick thing in my head that majority of these draft picks don't becomes stars later in their careers. Many that do become stars aren't ones people even thought would be. I get your point college and NBA are two completely different arenas but I'm not the expert either. Coach K just sees it from the college talent level as he's coached for umpteen years there. Potential is great but being All-star status from a proven player is a more sure bet. Even Kevin Garnett wanted out of TimberWolves after years of loyalty so I don't blame Kevin Love for wanting to be on a more promising/exciting team. Won't get anywhere staying in Minnesota.

I'm also interested to see now that Donald Sterling is still lingering and upholding the sale of Clippers due to all the legal jargon involved, how many people will follow suit to Doc Rivers and quit if Donald is still around? Even Lebron said something to the effect that he would not play as long as Donald Sterling is owner of the team. Will be interesting to see if others will actually NOT play and how this might effect the NBA as a whole.

I'm also interested to see now that Donald Sterling is still lingering and upholding the sale of Clippers due to all the legal jargon involved, how many people will follow suit to Doc Rivers and quit if Donald is still around? Even Lebron said something to the effect that he would not play as long as Donald Sterling is owner of the team. Will be interesting to see if others will actually NOT play and how this might effect the NBA as a whole.

It's all posturing. Ballmer wants a discount. Sterling wants more money. He's clearly bat-guano crazy and I expect the Court to find as such and force the sale on the present terms.

It's all posturing. Ballmer wants a discount. Sterling wants more money. He's clearly bat-guano crazy and I expect the Court to find as such and force the sale on the present terms.

I hope so because the guy is crazy! Hopefully everything will be cleared up and finalized before this season begins.

It won't affect anything because they are all full of it.

Doc knew Sterling was a racist old codger when he went to work for him. It's not news to him or anyone else in the league.

Cavs traded with jazz for some turds with non guaranteed contracts. Supposedly something minny wants in return if a lobe trade goes down as they can get cap relief....interesting

Cavs traded with jazz for some turds with non guaranteed contracts. Supposedly something minny wants in return if a lobe trade goes down as they can get cap relief....interesting

Well, this only makes sense if they are making a serious run at Love. Gotta hand it to Minny, they are probably getting a lot of value out of a guy who was gonna bolt in a year regardless. Is the offer still supposed to be Bennett, Wiggins, a first rounder and now cap space? Not a bad haul at all.

Haven't heard the specific offer update just that talks have heated up whatever that means

Back