2015 US Open Chambers Bay Washington Volunteers

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
While working the USGA WAPL Championship, this week, I have talked to over a hundred local volunteers who have decided to pull out of working the 2015 US Open because they have been given only one working day and it is in "Merchandising". I can't say I blame them. Volunteering at Amateur/Pro events takes time, dedication and money and volunteer assignments, especially for local area, should not be minimized in favor of playing favorites. In addition to our time, the US Open charges volunteers $165 to cover cost for a shirt and cap and I.D. Personally I would expect the same appreciation and respect from the PGA as we have been given by the USGA. I've not yet paid the $165 and I won't until I get some clarification about my assignments.

So you say you have to pay for being a volunteer?
What a joke....I wouldn't do it.

That's pretty common. Usually one of the perks is a round on the course but I'm guessing based on things that that is not the case. A week badge for the US Open though sure is pretty nice for 165

Oh, well if you get the week's pass, then that's a different story. I thought he meant just for the one day.

I volunteered for Merion and got a lot more than a shirt and cap. The package included 2 hats, 2 shirts, a rain coat and I could be on the grounds any time I wanted. I also worked in merchandising, which I enjoyed because I got to take a look at all the apparel and had dibs on what I wanted to buy. I've seen all the volunteer apparel on sale for a lot, especially the coat, but I'd never sell any of it. It was a cool experience.

I don't anything about the situation at Chambers Bay, but if I was in the area I would volunteer again no question.

While working the USGA WAPL Championship, this week, I have talked to over a hundred local volunteers who have decided to pull out of working the 2015 US Open because they have been given only one working day and it is in "Merchandising". I can't say I blame them. Volunteering at Amateur/Pro events takes time, dedication and money and volunteer assignments, especially for local area, should not be minimized in favor of playing favorites. In addition to our time, the US Open charges volunteers $165 to cover cost for a shirt and cap and I.D. Personally I would expect the same appreciation and respect from the PGA as we have been given by the USGA. I've not yet paid the $165 and I won't until I get some clarification about my assignments.

You do realize the USGA facilitates the US Open right, not the PGA Tour?

How are they playing favorites with assignments?

I certainly don't like the notion of paying to volunteer, and wouldn't do it myself. On the other hand, it seems a bit off to expect a particular type of assignment and to quit if you don't get it.

Gonna throw my two cents in on this. Volunteers always buy their uniforms in tournaments the PGA and USGA conduct. Prices range anywhere from $75.00 for a regular PGA event and up to $225.00 for a Major (except the Masters and I have no idea about the cost involved there). The money covers food as well as the uniform and admission to the tournament for usually the entire week of play. Some tournaments offer a round either free or discounted. Over all it is a great deal and it allows the tournament to give more money to charity.

As far as assignments go, most tournaments usually have shortages on the number of volunteers they actually need. The US Open, the Players and the majors are the exception to the rule for the most part. They can be more selective on who they take and the type of assignments they give. At this year's U.S. Opens I heard some grumblings from some that typically volunteer at the US Open that they thought the assignments were not being done fairly for the 2015 event. That may or may not be the truth, but it wouldn't surprise me that much. Apparently they had a surprising number of volunteer application and it has allowed them to be a bit more selective in assignments.

Be the ball!!

Last edited:
You do realize the USGA facilitates the US Open right, not the PGA Tour?

I learned that today, while talking with one of the USGA officials, at the WAPL, about it. I was told not to worry, it's a form letter. Just as with this tournament, assignments will be handled later and, like at this tournament, there will be lot's of shortages and scrambling to fill Marshal, Forecaddy, Range and other positions. Glad I didn't call them and drop out. I don't mind the $165, just as I didn't mind paying for my clothing at this tournament. They put out a lot of money to buy that clothing.

Oh, well if you get the week's pass, then that's a different story. I thought he meant just for the one day.

Past application for the Tavistock Cup for example was $100. 2 day tournament, had to work both days of course. Below was the included

Event Branded Golf shirt (In this case a Hugo Boss polo)
Event Branded Hat
They typically do outerwear like a jacket for if it's cold. They didn't this year and it was 40 something degrees. This year, they let us choose what team polo we wanted as a thank you (instead of dropping the 140 in the merchandise booth for it)
Volunteer Badge (grants grounds access each day of the tournament)
Food and Beverage on days you are working
One Weekly Grounds Badge for guest
Round of golf for me and three guests any time between May 1 and Oct 15 at the host course (Isleworth in this case).
$50 dollar Ruth Chris gift card

Every tournament is different in what they do and give their volunteers. Personally if they're only working a single day, they don't really have the time to do this and probably shouldn't have volunteered. Volunteers are needed Tuesday-Sunday, so they ask for at least 3 days.

I can tell potential volunteers that the daily meal has been outstanding. Days 1 and 2 was just a choice of hamburger or hot dog. But when things got rolling, we started having meals in the pavilion and had a great Pasta Bar, a Pizza day, a Taco bar day, a Salad bar and today was Steak and grilled Chicken day. I can also tell you that the folks from USGA and the folks at The Home Course have been absolutely great. We finish up tomorrow and it has been a "fan"tastic 8 day experience. I don't recall the Volunteer cost... something like $65 for 2 shirts, a hat, I.D., and a Pin..... and a voucher for a day of golf at The Home Course. The cost was small and immaterial to the experience. It's sad that this tournament will no longer be held.

I can tell potential volunteers that the daily meal has been outstanding. Days 1 and 2 was just a choice of hamburger or hot dog. But when things got rolling, we started having meals in the pavilion and had a great Pasta Bar, a Pizza day, a Taco bar day, a Salad bar and today was Steak and grilled Chicken day. I can also tell you that the folks from USGA and the folks at The Home Course have been absolutely great. We finish up tomorrow and it has been a "fan"tastic 8 day experience. I don't recall the Volunteer cost... something like $65 for 2 shirts, a hat, I.D., and a Pin..... and a voucher for a day of golf at The Home Course. The cost was small and immaterial to the experience. It's sad that this tournament will no longer be held.

That is freakin awesome. I love it when they take care of volunteers for the work they do.

Ive worked the past 4 US Open's as a volunteer. The cost cover, 2 shirts, a wind jacket, hat, water bottle and credentials. It's a pretty fair price IMO. As far as commitee assignments. At the time you register you have to submit 3 separate committees that your interested in working. But realize this. Hole marshals are typically filled quickly, some of the membership body from the hosting club will get do a on those assignments, and also act as committee chairs as well. Other clubs in the area will also take responsibilty of certain holes. We had 6k people volunteer at Pinehurst this year. Keep in mind that shifts vary in length, some are 4 - 6 hours typically. We do this as a way to give back to the game, and it also gives us an opportunity to travel to place we may not normally go. If you have specific question about volunteer teeing I will do my best to answer them.

Did they ever give a merchandise credit or a discounted round rate Kevin? To me that would be worth every penny and more.

Ive never had that option. The USGA sanctioned events are a bit different though.

BTW... volunteering for the WAPL was a doorway to the US Open at Chambers Bay. We received our US Open acceptance letters, we were told, before the general call for volunteers went out. We are required to work 3 days, which is not a problem. Most likely we'll be asked to work more. The biggest problem for the US Open will not be volunteers, it will be logistics and it will be a nightmare unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat. The US Amateur was held at Chambers Bay a few years ago, but the US Open is a whole other animal.

Back