Callaway Tour Grind MD2 Wedge Review

Great write up & can't believe I forgot to hit these this past weekend. I like what I'm reading & while my SM5's are delivering for me in all areas, my curiosity is there and might get one to compare.

I even brought one down and forgot it in my car, was gonna let you get Saturday with it. We both forgot apparently!

Great Review I think i am going to get a 58* Slate and pair it with a Black Onyx Shaft from DG

I guess I don't really understand the micro grooves.

"The laser milled micro grooves are designed to increase surface roughness and they wear over time, but the oval like etching on the face stands out more than any other face milling on the market. Those who prefer simplicity may find them too busy before they wear away, but they certainly generate discussion."

If they wear away quickly will the performance also go away?

"The laser milled micro grooves are designed to increase surface roughness and they wear over time, but the oval like etching on the face stands out more than any other face milling on the market. Those who prefer simplicity may find them too busy before they wear away, but they certainly generate discussion."

Most wedges actually spin a bit more as the surface roughs up from wear, new wedges take a little "breaking in" according to Callaway here and by pre roughing the face w the etching they play as if already there, but as they get used and the face roughens naturally the etching wears away.

Great review James! As if I needed more validation on these...

Solid review James, digging the straighter leading edge and aggressive grooves. Cool to see that these weren't just a rename but rather a redesign with tour input.

Love my Mack Daddy 2 wedge, would love to get my hands on one of these in a 56 degree. Nice write up Jman.

Always a great looking wedge. If it's as good or better than the MD2 of last year then watch out!

Yes please!

Really well written review James. Excellent work.

The T-Grind on the MD2 wedges looks like a winner. I'm intrigued by the slightly different look and the 25% more spin out of rough.

I'll have to get my hands on these sooner than later. Hopefully # will bring a few down to MB next week.

Solid review James, appreciate the detail you gave it for short game shots as well as partial. Sounds like it performed well for you

Thanks for the kind words everyone, appreciate the comments as always.

A 58 in these will be going to battle with my tour trusty post MC, I have no doubt in my mind.

Another informative review from Jman. These are some very nice looking wedges. I'm going to be in the market for new wedges soon and these are definitely going to be on my "demo" list.

I will have these in the slate in 54 and 58. These look just absolutely beautiful

By far the best looking wedges I've seen since I started playing, I absolutely love the looks and sounds like the playability is definitely there.

Great write up dude.

Great review, James. I'm excited to get to try these.

So how many MC'ers went T-grind?

I still think a throwdown is coming between a 58 in these and my Tour Trusty.

My question on the micro grooves , are these the same type of micro grooves we saw on the Cleveland CG15? I think the review was well done and I'm interested in getting my hands on 54 degree to see how well they perform, I too wonder about how durable these grooves will be.

My question on the micro grooves , are these the same type of micro grooves we saw on the Cleveland CG15? I think the review was well done and I'm interested in getting my hands on 54 degree to see how well they perform, I too wonder about how durable these grooves will be.

The grooves are similar, they will wear like any wedge, it just happens as wedges don't last forever. The laser etching wears much quicker as was referenced before to his initial question they are designed for initial roughness and to wear away as true roughness is generated from use.

T Grind is the star of my round right now. Having partial wedge shots, full wedge shots, flop shots, all with one club. This thing is absolutely killing it right now. Believe the hype.

Its just a really versatile grind for me as well, its why I get on with the K-grind on the TT's so well. These will get a hard look post MC, I truly enjoyed getting to review them, massive improvement, for me, over the standard MD2's.

Looked at these for the first time today. I don't do much wedge shopping anymore as I am in love with my vokeys. Nice looking but what got me was the grip. Man that thing is bright

Picked up a MD2 Tour Grind 58* today. I've been playing the 50*, 54* & 58* regular MD2's for a few months and love them. I'll put the Tour Grind in play tomorrow.
My initial thoughts are:

• I actually like the flourescent green color scheme
  • Leading edge is much straighter on Tour Grind
  • Leading edge sits closer to the ground on the Tour Grind
  • Toe is taller on Tour Grind (reminiscent of Callaway X-Forged wedges)

I really like the looks of this wedge.

Can't wait to hit it tomorrow!

I'm pleased to see this T Grind in the 54 degree version. I prefer this type of grind to what was available for the 54 degree in the first iteration of the MD2 wedges which only had the S-grind. Time to think about replacing my current 54 degree and 58 degree with MD2 Tour Design versions.

Agree completely Barry. Will be making the switch after the MC

I got out and played my first round with the Tour Grind on Saturday. I've been playing regular MD2s for about 4 months.This club will replace my 58* U-Grind MD2. I got to the course about an hour early so I could practice with it before my round. I hit a variety of shots from just off the green out to about 50 yards, including some bunker shots.

I really like the way the straight leading edge looks at address. The T-Grind also make the leading edge sit closer to the ground. I felt that the T-Grind out-performed the U-Grind in every case. It worked great from tight lies, with no bouncing into the ball. Lob shots from the rough came out nicely and landed softly. One area where I was pleasantly surprised was in the bunker. I could never use the U-Grind from soft sand. The club would usually dig and distance was very inconsistent. The T-Grind performed great from both soft and firm sand.

On the course, the club worked great. I hit several low runners from just off the green, as well as a couple of lob shots that helped me save par. I really like the regular Mack Daddy 2 wedges, but I think I'm falling in love all over again. I may have to pick up a 56*, as well.

Last edited:
Nice! Glad to hear you're clicking with the T-grind, definitely a solid improvement IMO.

Back