Fitting Clubs for the First Time: Question

thecpk

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I have a question regarding fitting clubs. Ive only ever owned 1 set of clubs, and now that I've gotten better, Im gonna change it up. As I'm still not a very good player and I only ever used like 7 out of the 14 I had, I've decided to instead of getting 14 average clubs, to choose 7 good clubs that I've done research on. On top of this I'm going to get them fitted and my question is: Is fitting done before or after you buy clubs? Do you get tested and then they recommend what clubs to get, or do you bring in the clubs you bought and they "fix" them up for you according to your needs? Im wondering this because the clubs Im getting are being bought strictly on the fact that I know they are good

Hey guys, I have a question regarding fitting clubs. Ive only ever owned 1 set of clubs, and now that I've gotten better, Im gonna change it up. As I'm still not a very good player and I only ever used like 7 out of the 14 I had, I've decided to instead of getting 14 average clubs, to choose 7 good clubs that I've done research on. On top of this I'm going to get them fitted and my question is: Is fitting done before or after you buy clubs? Do you get tested and then they recommend what clubs to get, or do you bring in the clubs you bought and they "fix" them up for you according to your needs? Im wondering this because the clubs Im getting are being bought strictly on the fact that I know they are good

Can work both ways. Personally I would recommend walking into a place with a decent selection of brands and have a fitter look at some numbers and your swing and make recommendations based off of that. Then that allows you to order the clubs that fits you best. Often time as well places will offer a discount if you get fitted then buy through them.

Good luck and hopefully you can find something that suits your game and your eye.

As I'm still not a very good player and I only ever used like 7 out of the 14 I had, I've decided to instead of getting 14 average clubs, to choose 7 good clubs that I've done research on. On top of this I'm going to get them fitted and my question is: Is fitting done before or after you buy clubs? Do you get tested and then they recommend what clubs to get, or do you bring in the clubs you bought and they "fix" them up for you according to your needs? Im wondering this because the clubs Im getting are being bought strictly on the fact that I know they are good

Fitting can be done before or after. However, the most important part of fitting is the shaft selection and finding the shaft that best fits your swing profile. Swing profile is more than swing speed. You should also know that because you are fit into a particular flex from one manufacturer, that does not necessarily mean that the same flex from another manufacturer will be the same. Saying that, I would recommend you get fit prior to purchasing the clubs.

Another thing is that if you are taking lessons to improve your game, your fitting profile may also change as your swing improves.

I would suggest working with a fitter to determine the best clubs for your game prior to purchase.

Your comment about 14 "average" vs. 7 "good" clubs has me puzzled though. What clubs besides putter and driver/3 wood are in your set makeup and how do you vary distance? I see you are a 36 handicap; are you taking lessons and have you discussed club makeup with your instructor?

I am actually a 26 handicap although I havent recently done anything to change that, so I may be higher or lower than that right now.

These are the clubs I was thinking about:

Wedges (P and S): Cleveland 588 RTX
Irons (8 and 6): Mizuno JPX 825
Hybrid (3-4): Cobra Bio Cell
Driver: Cobra Bio Cell +
Putter: Don't have a preference yet

While I can understand the 'need' to break up these clubs (affordability) IMO if you were going to only do 7 clubs, the ones listed would not be my suggestion.
Reasoning - Why get 2 wedges? Gaps are so close and you can really manipulate the flight and distance with wedges. Why 2 hybrids? from long distance you are not likely to be hitting greens regularly and will be needing clubs which you have left out of the bag. Also, you will spend WAY more time using your irons than hybrids.
My suggestion would be the P, 9-5, 3 hy, Driver.
BTW - My handicap is now at 18 and I have the RTX and JPX and love them. Have hit the Bio Cell+ and it was barely beaten out by BB. Solid choices.

When I got fit for my irons all they did was put a piece of marking tape on the bottom of the club and then they bent the club head until it was flat with my swing.

Find a place that does both static and dynamic fitting. In the dynamic portion it would be good to find a place that does shaft optimization along with lie angle as well as where the ball is contacting the club face. Also discuss with the fitter set makeup this way you can get a set that meets what you need/want and this way you only pay for the clubs you will use and not a full set.

Back