What would you shoot off the ladies tee?

but if the 78 was a 76 then the 79 would have been a 77 and the 78 if was on a Tuesday would have then been the 79 or even an 80 but if that 80 was a 78 then the original 79 would have been the same 76 that you would have shot on Wednesday but you didn't so that 76 was actually a 78 only to look like the 79 you would have shot on the Tuesday that would have ultimately been an 80 and therefore and furthermore thereafter would have equaled or beaten the 76 you should have shot with exception had you shot a 75 or 81 in which case either one would have been 2 strokes better on opposite days with one beating the other had you only thought about it all on Monday :) I hope this clears it all up!

Thanks for the pointless post. All I was saying was that 1 poor swing put a ball in the water which was 2 strokes that shouldnt have been lost.

Thanks for the pointless post. All I was saying was that 1 poor swing put a ball in the water which was 2 strokes that shouldnt have been lost.

He was just being funny. We all go through the should have been holes and he was just looking at it from a light-hearted way.

Just a little irony to add to this I shot 79 on Wednesday from the reds, and played the same course from the whites today and shot 78 and what should have been a 76.

Great round from both tees. How much do you think the confidence gained from shooting the 79 from the red tees played into your 78 from the white tees? what is the yardage difference between the two tee boxes?
The scores were similar but how was your ball striking on the two days?
How were the approach shots (what clubs used) different from the two different tee boxes?
Just a few things that I think you should think about when trying to compare the two scores from two different tee boxes.

Great round from both tees. How much do you think the confidence gained from shooting the 79 from the red tees played into your 78 from the white tees?

Not directed at me, but this thought ran through my head today. I am looking forward to my next round because that was the best I've played in a long while. This may be something to do to break a slump in the future.

Not directed at me, but this thought ran through my head today. I am looking forward to my next round because that was the best I've played in a long while. This may be something to do to break a slump in the future.

I really need to play there again. Love the Irish course. Fond memories.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Nothing like positive reinforcement and knowing you can shoot a certain score even if not from the same tee box. I know for me that when I move back a tee it just shows me how difficult it is to recover from a mistake and it seems mainly to be because I can't make up the distance that I need to. I also find that when playing from shorter tees that I may not shoot a better score but it was not as difficult to score what I score, if that makes sense.

I've never tried it, but I'm skeptical I'd play that much better. I normally play the blues (~6700 yards) on my new course and shoot around 80. I play the whites (~6000) when playing with groups who all play there, and rarely shoot better than 77. I guess on the longer holes it would be a big advantage though, so I'll guess I could get close to par regularly. My course has pretty narrow greens so I don't hit many GIR, which makes me think I'm not too likely to vastly improve b/c I'd still be chipping and putting. I guess on days when my long game is going well I'd be more likely to shoot well below average than from the blues. Next time I'm playing by myself I think I'll play balls from the blue and red for fun and see. I don't think it would magically get me to be a scratch golfer though. Maybe a stroke or 2 better gross.

Great round from both tees. How much do you think the confidence gained from shooting the 79 from the red tees played into your 78 from the white tees? what is the yardage difference between the two tee boxes?
The scores were similar but how was your ball striking on the two days?
How were the approach shots (what clubs used) different from the two different tee boxes?
Just a few things that I think you should think about when trying to compare the two scores from two different tee boxes.

For me im not sure the confidence did a whole lot. I know I have the game to be in the 70s all the time, its just usually 1 blow up hole per side or my putter is off. The high 70s are totally foreign to me.

Ball striking mighy havw been a touch better but nothing to talk about. I hit 1 more GIR on Saturday than Wednesday.

Approach shots were similar because I play to a number, not just grip and rip.

My conclusion from my tests is that moving up tee boxes wont make the game drastically easier as you still have to make good swings. If you do move up and huge swings in the score then I would suggest you are playing too far back in the first place. If you struggle with approaches around 180 yds but thats constantly what you are faced with then I would move up, at least till you can iron out the long game on the range.

I really need to play there again. Love the Irish course. Fond memories.

Find me whenever you get back around these ways.

Find me whenever you get back around these ways.

Will do for sure. Unfortunately I have no idea when that will be

My conclusion from my tests is that moving up tee boxes wont make the game drastically easier as you still have to make good swings. If you do move up and huge swings in the score then I would suggest you are playing too far back in the first place. If you struggle with approaches around 180 yds but thats constantly what you are faced with then I would move up, at least till you can iron out the long game on the range.

As much as I hate to admit it, this might be me right now. There should not be much difference between 6000 and 6200, but my recent scores at BHGC don't lie. I have the length to play 6200, my drives are all in the 240-260 range without much rollout. But it's just not consistent enough in terms of accuracy off the tee. I'm not hitting banana slices, just enough of a fade or a pull to get me in trouble. But I am fortunate to be able to get in as many swings as I want at any time in my garage, and it's clear I need to add a few extra balls to my routine to focus on the tee game.

I will take my next round there from the white tees and see where I stand though.

As much as I hate to admit it, this might be me right now. There should not be much difference between 6000 and 6200, but my recent scores at BHGC don't lie. I have the length to play 6200, my drives are all in the 240-260 range without much rollout. But it's just not consistent enough in terms of accuracy off the tee. I'm not hitting banana slices, just enough of a fade or a pull to get me in trouble. But I am fortunate to be able to get in as many swings as I want at any time in my garage, and it's clear I need to add a few extra balls to my routine to focus on the tee game.

I will take my next round there from the white tees and see where I stand though.

There is only 200yds difference between the blue and white at your course? Mine is 600yds. After you said this I went back and read your post regarding your test of this. I dont know the yardage of your red tees but you said you were comfortable inside 150. Here is my thoughts based on my home course where a 240yd drive will reach the 150 stake or past.

From blues: 6/12
From whites: 10/12

From whites I am hitting a 4i (200-210yds) off the tee on 7 of those 10 to be around the 150 and/or short of the trouble.

I would urge you to move to the whites while you strengthen your long game and I think you might enjoy the game more! I am trending to an 8.4hdcp which puts me at the blues in our local tournaments but im in the middle of some lessons so im still playing whites in practice rounds while trying to hone this swing. Learning the game is hard enough, struggling around the course just makes it worse!!!

There is only 200yds difference between the blue and white at your course? Mine is 600yds. After you said this I went back and read your post regarding your test of this. I dont know the yardage of your red tees but you said you were comfortable inside 150. Here is my thoughts based on my home course where a 240yd drive will reach the 150 stake or past.

From blues: 6/12
From whites: 10/12

From whites I am hitting a 4i (200-210yds) off the tee on 7 of those 10 to be around the 150 and/or short of the trouble.

I would urge you to move to the whites while you strengthen your long game and I think you might enjoy the game more! I am trending to an 8.4hdcp which puts me at the blues in our local tournaments but im in the middle of some lessons so im still playing whites in practice rounds while trying to hone this swing. Learning the game is hard enough, struggling around the course just makes it worse!!!

I'm curious if you look at the rounds that have counted for your handicap how many are from the white tees and how many from the blues?
It appears your handicap has dropped a bit this year and I am curious how much moving to the white tees has contributed to this drop?

I'm curious if you look at the rounds that have counted for your handicap how many are from the white tees and how many from the blues?
It appears your handicap has dropped a bit this year and I am curious how much moving to the white tees has contributed to this drop?

All my handicap rounds are from the whites except for THP events which are from the blues. as I have yet to play in a local tournament since dropping below a 10 because of other commitments. I didnt move down to the whites, its not the cause of my handicap drop, its where I have always played, I was just making an observation that struggling through a swing change and a course thats longer than normal can cause unnecessary stress.

Last edited:
All my handicap rounds are from the whites except for THP events which are from the blues. as I have yet to play in a local tournament since dropping below a 10 because of other commitments. I didnt move down to the whites, its not the cause of my handicap drop, its where I have always played, I was just making an observation that struggling through a swing change and a course thats longer than normal can cause unnecessary stress.

I'm curious how much your handicap has dropped this year and what you would attribute it to?
is it one aspect of your game over others or just all around better play in all aspects?

Im curious how much your handicap has dropped this year and what you would attribute it to?
is it one aspect of your game over others or just all around better play in all aspects?

I think he said he was taking lessons. Thats why his handicap dropped.

So, whats your point? I dont get what you are trying to say.

Lol what?

He was just being funny. We all go through the should have been holes and he was just looking at it from a light-hearted way.

Thank you "christopherKee"
Relax friends. Nothing more than trying to be funny. Just some sarcastic but friendly humor I thought would get some good laughs. What I said was so ridiculous confusing and without any real sense at all that I thought for certain would only have been taken very jokingly. And was only meant as such. I thought the smile face and the ("hope this clears it up") part even further implied only humor.

We "all" have talked in such ways as to say or feel we really should have shot "x" or whatever but then the old saying kicks in "if the queen had a pair she'd be king" because in reality we shot what we shot. Something we all can relate to and probably all have done including myself very many times so I just jokingly ran with poking some fun at that since I figured most of us can relate to it. Nothing personal was meant. Only meaning was for laughs.

Thank you "christopherKee"
Relax friends. Nothing more than trying to be funny. Just some sarcastic but friendly humor I thought would get some good laughs. What I said was so ridiculous confusing and without any real sense at all that I thought for certain would only have been taken very jokingly. And was only meant as such. I thought the smile face and the ("hope this clears it up") part even further implied only humor.

We "all" have talked in such ways as to say or feel we really should have shot "x" or whatever but then the old saying kicks in "if the queen had a pair she'd be king" because in reality we shot what we shot. Something we all can relate to and probably all have done including myself very many times so I just jokingly ran with poking some fun at that since I figured most of us can relate to it. Nothing personal was meant. Only meaning was for laughs.
No prob brotha, just wasn't sure what in the fudge you were saying hahaha. You're right tho especially lately I've been telling myself "well you shot what you shot" because I'm always saying buuuuuuut it could of been so much better......I think that's golf right? Lol I just try to take the positives away from my round and attempt to add them onto the next one.

I am going to move up until I get the tee game in better shape.

But I misspoke a little. My home course is 27 holes set up as three distinct 9-hole courses. For each 9 holes the difference between the blues and whites is 150/200 yards total. But the longest of the three (Wolverine) is 3200 from the blues and 3000 from the whites. Also where the wolverine and buckeye (2777 w/2917 b) are built much more wide open, the Irish (2804 w/3024 b) is tree lined and tight on 6 of the 9 holes.

If anything, this course is best set up for me with split tees. The Irish, while short, really makes the opening tee shot difficult from the blues by making you shoot through a choke point of trees on each side. The whites are far enough up that the choke point does not come into play except for the worst tee shots. The other hole that is much more difficult is the par 3 7th, which requires a water carry with almost no bail out to what is practically an island green and plays 180-190 from the blues and 160-170 from the whites. It also has multiple greens that are either substantially sloped or heavily guarded on one side by trees for approach shots. So while I have the length for it, it seems that the way it makes it difficult plays right into my weaknesses (accuracy with long irons and driver) from the blues.

As a comparison, the wolverine and buckeye courses are not nearly as penal as a whole. The wolverine makes it's difficulty almost exclusively with length. OB comes into play only on the first two holes, and water really only comes into play on 3 holes. The rest you could slice it 50 yards either way and have a shot at your green still with the next shot. The buckeye really is the easiest of the three courses for me, it's neither too long or too tight from the blues, except for holes 5-6 which have tight tee shots. I've been better at finding the fairway on those holes but my second shot from the blues is anywhere from 170-200.

If I wanted to find the best combination of challenging versus playing to my strengths, I should play the Irish and Wolverine from the whites, and the Buckeye from the blues. But I think for now I will move to all whites and get some confidence back. I definitely think there has been some ego involved, I'm not to proud to admit that.

As an aside, my other favorite course here (with a higher slope/rating) I shoot 5 strokes lower on average playing from 6300 yards. Just one of those oddities in golf you can't explain.

I'm guessing I'd shoot anywhere from 5 to 10 strokes better, depending on how well I'm striking irons and putting. At most courses near here I could do away with driver entirely, and maybe even 4w, so my accuracy off the tee should theoretically be way better. And if I could make some putts and stick a few irons close, I'd be on track to go pretty low.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

We had forward tees day tonight in league play where we all play from the ladies tees. Ended up shooting 42 on 9 which ties my PB from my normal white tees.

Although the course is shorter, still have to make shots. It was easier though to recover from poor shots off the tee.

Doesn't matter what tees I play. I honestly would struggle to break 85 no matter where. . I can have the tees 30 yards from the green and still fight to break bogey

golf gotta love it guys

The shorter distance makes you think about what club to hit off the tee on and might require to hit iron in stead of normal driver so that you don't end up with awkward distances on approach shot. Also agree putting doesn't automatically get better and short game might get tested more due to the awkward distances on approach shots.

Back