The Please Hold Me Accountable Thread (long)

rlew

Regulators, 2023 Budget Golf Championship #MountUp
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, apologies for the long post.

I think being held accountable is big. So if anyone else wants to join this thread, by all means, we have jackets.

Here’s where I am, trying to keep this short: always loved golf—covered it, written about it, studied it—but I couldn’t play a whole lot until this summer. Couldn’t love the game more, now that I can get out.

I broke 89 a month ago—had never broken 100 before. I’m hitting a good 40 yards father on everything, somehow. Mostly scoring in the low 90s. But I’m wildly inconsistent/inaccurate and have seen all of this improvement entirely through “feel,” no instruction or anything like that. After years of playing about once a year, I’ve just adjusted based on how I feel on each swing.

I’m thrilled with the distance—average drive of about 260-265, long of 320, hitting irons much, much farther—and if I can bring it more toward the center, I might be able score low (I’m aware, though, how much harder each step of improvement is). I’m currently building a handicap through USGA and need another round. It should be in the low 20s.

I really, really want this. And I really want to get my handicap down below 18 this year (everyone on this site knows the significance of that number). I’m not going to go into it now, but the chance to participate in something like that? I truly, genuinely can’t begin to describe what something like that would mean. I never thought something like that would be possible again. It’s a dream.

Now, if that never happens, it would be somewhat of a shame (to me), but in the end, not the end of the world. The true value of this place isn’t that event, it’s the crazy positivity and support from its members. That was evident in about four seconds after signing up. And if not, well in the meantime I played a lot of golf and had some good times with good people. Win-win.

So here’s the pledge, so to speak.

I’m going to get lessons from a local pro, who I’ve checked up on (he’s also been helping my father, actually—he’s 69 and you wouldn’t believe the progress he’s made).

1. I’m going to spend at least two hours a week at the range/putting green, fine-tuning my game.

2. I’m going to play at least 18 holes a week (this is due to work—my hope is 27-36, but I’m a realist).

3. And I’m going to search, study and apply at least one lesson/insight from a website or magazine, whether it’s mental or mechanical, a week. I’ll work with a trainer but I’m a writer, and what we do well is study and research.

Maybe this is a little ridiculous (Sorry!). But I want this down on paper and not where I’m the only one who knows about it. If people want to add their own stuff, the more the merrier.

Cheers.

Wish you good luck. Looking forward to following your progress.

Great post. Good luck in your endeavor.

I hope you enjoy your journey.

What a great post and best of luck on your journey. You have endless resources here that can assist you at any time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post. It's always said, it's not really a goal if it's not written down or shared with someone to hold you accountable.

Good luck.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all rlewis, and you can probably tell that others who have posted don't either. Good luck on your plan and please post up your progress.

Good luck and keep us updated! Lessons are key

good post and good luck, I do hope you reach your goals and time and money allow for it.

I am not one to give any great advice as one who not real good at this game and often require it myself, but I will say this from years of experience. Be careful with absorbing too much pointers from magazines, on line, and also your instructor all at the same time. Remember magazines and online tips are from people who do not know you or your swing. Things can be contradicting at times and also not proper advice for you personally as everyone is very different.

God luck to you.

good post and good luck, I do hope you reach your goals and time and money allow for it.

I am not one to give any great advice as one who not real good at this game and often require it myself, but I will say this from years of experience. Be careful with absorbing too much pointers from magazines, on line, and also your instructor all at the same time. Remember magazines and online tips are from people who do not know you or your swing. Things can be contradicting at times and also not proper advice for you personally as everyone is very different.

God luck to you.

I hear ya. What I'd like to do is first and foremost work with my instructor. That's a personal, developing relationship that will be the most beneficial by far.

But I want to make sure I'm doing some legwork on my own as well to supplement that.

Thanks to all for the support. Much appreciated.

Great post and good luck to you as well. Golf is a great sport but very time consuming. Have fun with it and don't get to down on yourself.

Best of luck!

Best of luck to you. The journey can be rough, but it makes the game so much more fun at the other end, when you can shoot what you are aiming for. I believe you can reach an 18hcp with the work you are getting ready to start.

Good stuff man. You sound like you really have a desire to improve, which is a big thing. Good luck!

My first attempt at improvement was sparked by local MGA competition. Then came the THP inspiration! For me getting involved in events and competition took me to another level both in lower handicap and being able to actually score under pressure.

I like that your are documenting your goals to help inspire your journey.

For goals to actually work you have to make SMART goals.... S.M.A.R.T. being Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely...

Looks like you got all five covered...best of luck man.

Love the idea and laying it all out here, best of luck!!

Congrats on the progress you have made and good luck on continued positive progress

Good luck! If you're like me, and I suspect most THPr's, just being part of this great forum will push you to better your game and keep you on your path to goal.

It's all good except for #3. The more thoughts in your head the harder it gets. Just stick with what the instructor says imho.

It's all good except for #3. The more thoughts in your head the harder it gets. Just stick with what the instructor says imho.

I hear ya.

There's something very rewarding about being the last guy at the driving range, pounding golf balls into the sun.

So, I've been a been quiet for the last week. And what was supposed to be a rousing review of 36 holes in 36 hours has turned into an incredible announcement: After eight long years of hard work, I have been offered and am accepting what is essentially an absolute dream job. I'm incredibly relieved, I'm excited and so thankful, it's been an amazing week.

Had an interview on Tuesday and was offered it Wednesday night. I'd rather not go into too much detail about what it is or with whom right now, but it's a dream job and a perfect situation, working in NE Ohio. Getting that phone call was incredible and something I had thought about since high school.

The funny, golf-related part is that I got the call just as two buddies and I were walking up to the first tee to play 9 holes Wednesday night. This was before I'd be playing 18 the next morning with someone and then 9 more holes with the same buddies that next night, so 36 holes in 36 hours.

What started as a great measuring stick for my game and loads of practice time turned into me being a smiling goon without a care in the world. For those days, I could have shot 300 and it just wouldn't have mattered. The first hole was actually difficult to play, as I felt so light it was difficult to swing a club.

The second hole, though? Stuck a PW about 110 yards 10 feet from the pin on a par 3 over water. Was feeling good.

I ended up playing just OK for the most part the rest of the 34 holes, a couple of great shots but not much consistency—part of the reason is that I'm getting a driver I've been hitting very well fixed, and I struggled off the tee with some older ones. Though I hit every par-3 green I played except for two, one on each day, which felt terrific. This included a 180-yard 7-iron (elevated tee) that dropped about four feet from the cup and rolled past. And rebounded after a shaky two-hole start to birdie a par-3 on what would have been the 30th hole of the stretch.

I've been wanting to shout this from the roof tops for the last few days. As it relates to golf, I guess it's just funny how your mindset for such a big week can completely change. Been so relaxed, even after I put one in the water from oh I dunno, 10 yards (ha!)

I did get to try out a few old drivers and a few different wedges, and found one that fits me well. So that was good.

Will be going out for 9 holes tomorrow, sort of to get back into improvement mode. But what a freaking week, eh?

Saw a picture that Bridgestone tweeted of MMaynard at the MC—just so freaking cool. Helps ya refocus a bit.

Cheers, everyone.

Congrats RL, nothing like getting the job you dream about.

I know you don't want to say any specifics. But if it's in the same field as your current job, I think it's a pretty exciting time to be in that field in NE Ohio.

Good luck on the job and continued improvement in the golf game.

Back