Past Present and Future

lakngulf

Reaction score
Handicap
unk
I played golf every chance I got from about 18 - 40 years old, lowest handicap was 9. Took some time off at 40 to do some more schooling. When I started back I had lost way too much distance, but figured out how to play with the change. At about 46 I bought a fixer up lake place, and have spent most of my time enjoying it and deer hunting. Retired now, still busy at the lake, spend a lot of time gardening and deer habitat, but always an interest to pick up the sticks again.

Actually, the reason for my post is to gain insight on which sticks I should pick up. My clubs were build around 1980, so I am sure I am due a couple of upgrades if I am to try this game again. I did pull out a driver and a 4 iron to see if I could even swing the club. Wow! I did not feel at home with grip or swing. Finally hit a couple of decent shots off the tee with driver, but could not connect with 4 iron.

So, please help. I am a lefty and need some info on decent, middle of the road, used clubs. Where is good place to look? Which brands are most forgiving (I feel like I will need a lot of forgiveness)? Is there a place I could get a modern club or two, just to get the feel of them and see if I can develop a swing at 64?

Thanks

Sounds like a trip to a club fitter or golfsmith would be a good idea. Since you are left handed I would recommend looking at PING. They always seem to take good care of leftys unlike some other companies. I am sure some lefties will chime in with their advice soon. Welcome to the site!

Many of the major brands have LH offerings. Callaway, Cleveland, cobra, taylormade, nike, ping, etc etc.

All of them make forgiving clubs. I strongly recommend heading to a large golf store and trying things out to give you an idea of a few sets you enjoy.

Play it again sports if there's one close to you.

Craigslist is a good place to find used clubs, so is eBay.

Back