The infamous "birdie on 18" that keeps us coming back

geneticistx

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA-9.8
Great round today at a beautiful course.
I shot an 84 with one birdie. That birdie came on 18. I'm a 13 handicap. So, a birdie is nice. The dreaded final hole birdie that sucks you in to say, you'll be back, oh yes, you'll be back.

Those always make me want to keep playing

I usually have them at the end of a brutal round. Finishing birdie/birdie with a 90, not a fun time... but the birdies bring you back.

The final hole on my home course is a par 5 that is certainly birdieable with a good drive. The tee shot is someone visual intimidating, so if you get passed that its not that hard. Its a long green with a false front, but normally my 3rd shot is always in that 40-80 yard range. I get more birdies on that hole than any other on the course. Walking off with a 4 always makes you feel better.

I had one of those today, too. Got me fired up for sure

I shot an 84 with one birdie. That birdie came on 18. I'm a 13 handicap. So, a birdie is nice. The dreaded final hole birdie that sucks you in to say, you'll be back, oh yes, you'll be back.

Always nice. As a 13 cap, you shouldn't be too unhappy with an 84 most days, birdie on 18 or not.

Truth is I always want to go around again no matter what. Good or bad or whatever. Want to continue the good and/or also want to rid/fix the bad. Either way I always want more:)

Funny thread, I come back even when I double the last hole though--maybe even want to come back more to redeem myself or something. However, as a rare thing since we have a tough last hole at the home course-- I have birdied #18 the last two days.

Both of my courses I am a member of have finishing par 5's so birdie on the final hole is not uncommon. I agree with rollin, I always want to go around again which accounts for my playing 27 or 36 so often. :smile:

I tend to play my best in the last few holes and then struggle a bit on 18, so I'm feeling good but it's tempered just a bit.

My buddy, though, is 100 percent an 18th guy. He's more of a beginner and struggled with his driver real bad, so he was hitting a 4-iron off the tee. Just couldn't hit woods and he wasn't finding his 4-iron swing much either. Just a bad day.

Until the 18th, a long par-5. He absolutely crushed two straight 4-irons on that hole and ended up about 100 yards short of the hole. He couldn't have hit them any farther or straighter.

We went golfing again, and it happened again. Started hitting his driver and couldn't find it, until the 18th, which he ripped down the fairway.

The last round I played prior to breaking my wrist was anything but pretty...but I did birdie the par 5 9th and it's all I've thought about over the last six weeks.

I lipped one out this morning on 18 for birdie, and I will for sure be back. Good birdie BTW!

Had one of those today and it did feel quite nice.

The course I played on Saturday has a par 5 18th. I lipped my birdie putt and made par. Still happy with it whether it was birdie or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL I definitely know the feeling. This weekend I did the exact opposite. Birdied #1 and then never had another :( But I did have a lot of good looks, just didn't cash in on any.

Back