Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keegan Bradley played nicely 2 years ago and he brought what's needed for this kind of event. Imho, USA team needs him, just like Europe needs Poulter.

Having an automatic spot doesn't mean you're going to perform in match play, especially in Ryder Cup. Where are Vaughn Taylor, Brett Wetterich now ?

#goeurope !

I wish people who say no would give viable options. I'm curious as to who else they would pick and why.
I don't really think that's relevant - he's got to be judged on his own merits. But since you ask, 3 from the next 5 players in the standings would make sense. Pick them based on normal standards. Any of them are better than Tiger right now.

Also keep in mind that Tiger is almost certainly going to miss the FedEx playoffs, so unless he goes to Europe he wouldn't be playing any competitive hole in the month(?) leading up to the RC. He needs more competitive rounds, not less.

Yes, hes Tiger Woods and frankly there isn't anyone better than him to pick right now.

Never mind the top 12, you would take Ryan Moore over TW.

After actually looking into it, I'll concede.

My three Captain's picks would be Phil, Patrick Reed, and Tiger because other than Bradley there's really nothing else there right now.
Kirk and English. Both top 12 in FedEx points this season, both have won this season, both have had multiple top 20 finishes recently.

Unless he plays a good bit better in the Bridgestone and PGA, I'm not sure his game in his current state is worth the pick, but I hope Watson picks him anyway because I want to watch him play.

Kirk and English. Both top 12 in FedEx points this season, both have won this season, both have had multiple top 20 finishes recently.
Yeah I was gonna say Phil, Reed, and Kirk. Probably would be for me right now.

Unless he plays a good bit better in the Bridgestone and PGA, I'm not sure his game in his current state is worth the pick, but I hope Watson picks him anyway because I want to watch him play.

oh i agree, from a pue entertainment factor i hope he's picked. There will be one of only two story lines, and both will be highly entertaining....but if i'm picking a team purely to win...no way.

Right now - no - I think he is too rusty. But considering he is going to play in a few more tournaments including the PGA - then yes.

When do teams have to be chosen by?

Right now? No, to me his game doesn't look like its ready. But who's to say things won't click in a few weeks - he showed some flashes of his old self during the open, but also lots of terrible golf. I don't know how many tournaments he'll play in, but what if he were to go 2/2 in top 10s or something before decision day? Then, you'd have to at least consider it.

I hate to say it but I really don't think he deserves it. He is just not playing well. I would wait a few more weeks to see if he can turn it around because as some has said he could catch fire anytime, but he just doesn't seem to be the same guy anymore.

If he does get selected I would relate it to the baseball all-star game. Guys get voted in all the time that aren't the best at their position anymore, just because of their name and who they once were.

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately no

has he earned it?

His knowledge of the ryder cup won't help as much as a hot putter or straight driver, The US needs guys that can put points on the board or have a better than average chance of doing so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on Phil's play this year I don't like him on the team either. But that being said, I'd take him if Keegan is picked. They play well together and can secure some points. If you leave Phil off and Tiger off then take a Harris english and Ryan Moore. Both are playing well over a long period. Not flash in pan guys like a Kris Kirk.
Well I am pretty sure he has more knowledge overall of the game and the Ryder Cup itself. Im pretty sure he's been to a bunch so he's a veteran that has experience. I know if I was going into something like this I wouldn't mind having a teamate with 14 majors.

Yep your right Freddie....
His knowledge of the ryder cup won't help as much as a hot putter or straight driver, The US needs guys that can put points on the board or have a better than average chance of doing so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on Phil's play this year I don't like him on the team either. But that being said, I'd take him if Keegan is picked. They play well together and can secure some points. If you leave Phil off and Tiger off then take a Harris english and Ryan Moore. Both are playing well over a long period. Not flash in pan guys like a Kris Kirk.

Based on performance, no. However I don't think the PGA tour is going to give Tom Watson a choice regardless of what is said in public.

I think if he can play well enough to at least get into the FedEx Cup events, then I'd say yes put him on the team. If he can't do that, then I don't think he's playing well enough to justify a captains pick.

Such a tough topic bc TW is & has been a favorite of mine for a while. I appreciate the history & accomplishments made to date & Tiger is arguably the best ever. I know he is only three months removed from back surgery, but IMO what I've seen I can't in good conscious put him on the RC team. Why? My take:

1. This is the Ryder Cup. We were embarrassed last time out and we can't afford to stumble again. Like Freddie said we need guys who can put up points. We need to fill the most competitive team possible & TW isn't playing well right now. Also outside of Kuchar who can you pair him with. I think that handicaps Watson with team management & matches.

2. TW is just not swinging freely right now. I'm no swing guru, but anyone can see he is not in sync. When he dominates, he is technical, but the swing is working freely & not overthinking each swing. Right now the driver is his nemesis & the putter is not where it has been. I know anyone can get got & if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt it's TW, but not now. He just isn't quite there this time around.

3. If not TW then who? TW is 72nd on the RC list as of this AM. With two captains picks I can't select him over Mickelson, Bradley, Reed, Moore, Woodland, Snedeker.

Bottom line for me is that TW is a liability playing right now. The other thing is I like a little more fire & emotion from the guys during the Ryder cup. Not my favorite, but man you can just see what Poulter's energy does for that team. Not saying TW doesn't have that fire or emotion, but he rarely displays is during team events like he has on certain occasions when he has won tournaments.

Probably not... but to be honest, I am not comfortable picking many players over him.

A lot hinges on these next few tourneys.

Such a tough topic bc TW is & has been a favorite of mine for a while. I appreciate the history & accomplishments made to date & Tiger is arguably the best ever. I know he is only three months removed from back surgery, but IMO what I've seen I can't in good conscious put him on the RC team. Why? My take:

1. This is the Ryder Cup. We were embarrassed last time out and we can't afford to stumble again. Like Freddie said we need guys who can put up points. We need to fill the most competitive team possible & TW isn't playing well right now. Also outside of Kuchar who can you pair him with. I think that handicaps Watson with team management & matches.

2. TW is just not swinging freely right now. I'm no swing guru, but anyone can see he is not in sync. When he dominates, he is technical, but the swing is working freely & not overthinking each swing. Right now the driver is his nemesis & the putter is not where it has been. I know anyone can get got & if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt it's TW, but not now. He just isn't quite there this time around.

3. If not TW then who? TW is 72nd on the RC list as of this AM. With two captains picks I can't select him over Mickelson, Bradley, Reed, Moore, Woodland, Snedeker.

Bottom line for me is that TW is a liability playing right now. The other thing is I like a little more fire & emotion from the guys during the Ryder cup. Not my favorite, but man you can just see what Poulter's energy does for that team. Not saying TW doesn't have that fire or emotion, but he rarely displays is during team events like he has on certain occasions when he has won tournaments.

I think he gets 3 Capt picks this time around...Zach Jonson slid in to the 9th spot, so today my picks would be Phil, Keegan & Tiger

Do you honestly think the PGA will dictate to Tom Watson who he should pick? A win is worth more to the PGA Tour than face time with Tiger losing for 3 days.
Based on performance, no. However I don't think the PGA tour is going to give Tom Watson a choice regardless of what is said in public.

Watson earned more cup pts than Woods this week!!

Right now, nope. His game is no where near ready.

I don't care too much about stats and rankings, because he just hasn't played. If he's ready, then add him without a second thought.

But I haven't seen anything from his last two appearance suggesting that he's ready to compete in the Ryder Cup.

Have to totally agree with Seth here. We all know Golf is about the Grove you are in and he is not. Plus he has a loosing record all time in the RC and last time we won was without him. Would rather see another pick unless he completely turns his game around quickly.

has he earned it?

Good question. Right now the answer is no. However I still think I take him over some of the other options.

I say absolutely NOT! He may still be Tiger Woods but he is certainly not playing like it. To hope that he will turn it on magically and lead the US to victory is silly. The other guys are more deserving and have earned a spot. I'd take consistency over lightning in a bottle any day, especially when said lightning is questionable at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back