Creative or Straight forward; what kind of player are you?

I don't yet have the game to be very creative. I just try to focus on hitting the straightforward shot. I'm hoping that as my skill set broadens, I'll be able to work the creative aspect more and more.

I am definitely pretty straight forward most of the time - I play my best when I'm striping tee shots and missing in the right places. But one of my goals for practice now is to really get more creative with the short game, because when things go sideways for me I have a tendency to let it get out of hand too much. I have been known to hit some incredible recovery shots when needed, but they are usually not in the short game.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I definitely wouldn't classify myself as creative on the golf course. I know what my typical shot shape is and roughly how far I hit the ball. When I'm playing well i play to those strengths and don't try to make something out of nothing.

I shape my full swing shots purely out of necessity. If I can hit a stock draw, I'll do it 95% of the time.

Green side is a different story. I enjoy getting creative with different types of shots around the green.

Having played with you a bunch dude I have seen you get up and down from some stuff when I thought I had you on the ropes lol, you pulled it out of your arse haha. I miss those matches!

Maybe there will be one in a week! I enjoy playing with and against you.

I am most definitely a creative player. More out of necessity tho than want. I hit many a rough and have to be creative if I want to save the hole.

So what kind of player are you? Do you thrive on creativity or rise to the occasion when it is right in front of you.
I wouldn't say I thrive on creativity as much as I must be creative sometimes in order to be aggressive. I don't like just chipping out, especially if I think I have a shot at all at hitting a low slice around a tree or something similar. I've become pretty good at the circus shot and getting at least closer to the green, if not on, than just chipping out and having a big 9 iron or something in still.

Straight forward until I get around the green. The harder the putt or chip the better I usually do. I think it had to do with concentration.

One thing about being inconsistent at this game is that it puts you in many more situations that call for creativity. Unfortunately its not usually intentional. With that said, Do I like creative shots? Yes I do. But would I rather be in those situations in the first place? No I wouldn't because that means something didn't go so correctly previously. There is something imo to be said for wanting some creativity but I also don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

but I think the whole idea is similar to hitting draw or fade off the tee vs hitting straight. Many would argue that its easier (perhaps not easier but more advantageous) to shape it a tad vs trying to be staright because it creates an intentional yet controlled variable vs trying to keep it straight. I think that same logic can find its way down through and into the short game too. Even as far as putting. Some will putt through a break on a short one and others will play the slope. I prefer to usually play it because I feel more in control playing the variable.

Ever play skiball in an arcade? Most will score much higher by banking the balls off the side vs rolling them straight forward. That variable offers more control. Same with Bowling. That variable of hooking one into the pocket offers more control vs being straight. (yes, straight balls will strike) Something about being creative (to a small degree) that in general I believe adds a little more control.

Aim for straightforward. Forced into creativity.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Straight forward and risk adverse. However I do really enjoy hitting rescue shots when they are the only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried to tone down my game a bit over the last year or so. I'll still look for a creative shot around the green (maybe trying to play some slope behind the hole, for example), but I try to keep the "hero" shots out of my bag.

When I need to try to pull something off, I'm ready to do it. But I've learned that I'm much better when I try to keep things in front of me.

I'm pretty straight forward for the most part but due to my inconsistency sometimes I'm forced to get creative haha

I think I'm best when I'm a solid blend of the two. But most certainly, my ability to be creative is fueled by whether or not I'm able to get from point a to point b effectively. Sometimes though point a to b is the easiest way to be creative, like using the lay of the land to get my ball to where I want it.

My intention is to be more straightforward. Make the boring and reliable shots....

From the Tee, I never waver from this. I want to hit it straight, or my reliable cut. Would play the fairways all day if I could.

I find I waver from this quickly when I am around the greens though. If the boring play doesn't get it done the first time, I doubt that it is the reliable play.... then I try to do something different.

Trying to play smart straight forward golf to keep it in play. When I get creative I find that it hurts me and I cant keep the ball in play with any consistency

More straight forward.

I'm regularly hitting from behind trees and under them, and I don't fair too well, lol. I can punch low runners well, but I'm not a great ball striker, so hitting shots to tight pins isn't my Forte.

Around the greens is a different story. I love hitting little chips and pitch shots and can hit a variety of those well.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I'm a straight forward player. Normally if i try to be creative i end up in trouble and it cost me strokes.

I strive for straight forward play. I'd love my game to be boring. Fairway, green, two putt, go on. But I do enjoy trying to get creative when it's called for. Just doesn't always work in my favor. :D

Creative as I can be on any given day. I have a lot of short game shots and around the green is the place to be the most creative. Whether to hit it high or low, make it run or hop and stop, flop it, or whatever will get you close to the pin. I think its the most fun part of the game.

I think I am creative. I always trying to hit different shots, low hooks from behind tree's, high fade over a tree. When around greens depending on the distance to flag etc. I try bump and run or sometimes I open up the ole sw and hit a flop, I guess it just depends on how I am playing that day.

I try to be straight forward but I seem to find my best shots out of necessity. My best shot yesterday came after I pushed my approach to the right and caught the cart path. My ball ended up past the green leaving me a roughly 20-30 yard shot back to the green over some tall pines. After either flubbing or skulling my chips thus far in the round, I hit a beautiful sand wedge up and over the pines within a foot of the hole. Now if I can only get my head in the same relaxed focus for the straightforward shots.

I am more of a straight forward golfer that likes to take some chances.

I'm definitely in the straightforward camp. Ideally, I'd hit it high and straight all day.

I am straight forward from tee and fairway, however; I get extremely creative around the greens and typically try to find at least 3 options for every shot and play the one that makes the most sense.

Back