Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

To me they are very forgiving, but I haven't played the XHots or G-series so I'm not sure if my opinion helps.

I can tell you that the Speedblades are more forgiving, if that helps. They are in line with something like a slightly more forgiving Wilson Ci11, from what I could tell - still securely GI, but closer to the "crossover" type club than most GI irons.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Agree aboutsome great forgiveness in the Blades, but I will say that monitor testing on my typical miss (low or toe) produced identical results with these irons, with the longer irons even besting the Blades..

Agree aboutsome great forgiveness in the Blades, but I will say that monitor testing on my typical miss (low or toe) produced identical results with these irons, with the longer irons even besting the Blades..

My wallet doesn't like hearing that.

THAT is a setup I would have liked to try them in, lots og love for the KK shafts here. Plus, much better for me long term than DG S300's.

The one turnoff for me personally is the sound, that click, BUT its funny because that is a purely Titleist sound that many adore. Its funny how different we can be. It wasn't a bad sound to me, just very unique to them compared to most other irons out there.

You noticed that too, eh? AP2s have it too. I was messing around with the CBs yesterday and didn't notice it though.

That being said, the AP1s are one of the better irons I've played this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an off round on Saturday with these and as forgiving as they are they just don't fix a crap swing, as I already knew.

I'm a little disappointed that the faces mark up super easy. They have that grey finish on them that just cant wait to come off unfortunately. I would say my irons look like they have 4 months use when they actually have 1.

That was something I noticed as well. I will say that as time goes on it doesn't really get much worse though. Sort of starts quickly and then levels out if that makes sense.

I had an off round on Saturday with these and as forgiving as they are they just don't fix a crap swing, as I already knew.

I'm a little disappointed that the faces mark up super easy. They have that grey finish on them that just cant wait to come off unfortunately. I would say my irons look like they have 4 months use when they actually have 1.

Hey man, nothing fixes a total crap swing. On the marginal ones though, the help with these and similar irons (like the CB3's I just switched to) is wonderful.

After the initial beating the face takes, its stayed about the same since then for me.

First time out on the range with these today and I am very impressed. This is my first GI iron as I don't like offset and bigger heads. Wish I got over my dislike of them sooner because these irons flat out perform! After about 2 buckets I didn't even notice the size anymore and completely forgot about it when I was just throwing straight up darts all over the place with every iron. Supper forgiving with a ball flight that I love. I don't think I'll have any problems holding greens with the way these get up without ballooning. First round this Sunday, can't wait.

I have a question for anyone who has played these. Are they really forgiving? i haven't seen many Titliest clubs that are forgiving. Can i assume they are a forgiving as lets say the Ping G25's, or Callaway xhots? Its my belief that certain mfg's have different meanings when they say GI or forgiving clubs. I would like to hit these and see for myself but i can't find them in my area.

I suspect your perception may go back to the days when Cobra was part of the Titleist family and, for all purposes, Cobra was the GI/SGI new tech brand while Titleist was the better players' traditionalist brand.

With Cobra no longer under the Acushnet umbrellla, I think that Titleist now offers irons and drivers very playable by the average golfer while still keeping a fairly traditional look.

When it comes to off center hits I think they compare favorably to Callaway and Ping offerings. Where something like the G25 or XHot may do a bit better is helping to get the ball airborne.

I played Callaway x series clubs for years, and currently bag AP1s. The G25 and X2Hot are very forgiving drivers, but I have no doubt that I could play with a properly fit "D2" Titleist driver and be able to get around.

In my opinion it's FWs and Hybrids where Titleist still lacks the level of user friendliness that you can get from Ping, Callaway, etc.

I'm hitting these clubs really well from the 4i through the 9i right now, at least for me. I think the best way to describe them is effortless distance as I can't believe how far the ball flies on a well struck hit.
I am struggling with the W1 for some reason but I'm pretty sure its all mental. Distance is fine but its just imprecise which is unacceptable for a club at 48* for me.

Hi, My first post in this forum after having read all this thread. I am closing 50 and started golfing one year ago. I play with Dunlop irons that are 30 years old. Last weekend I did a custom fitting and decided for the AP1. My swing has been very inconsistent lately and also during the fitting why I can only hope that the pro choose the rigth set up for me. As he said anything will be an improvment to what I play with today. After reading this thread I am really looking forward to getting the AP1 next week. Most of you that have posted positive remarks are so much better golfers than I am , but I hope they will be fine for me since I am only playing at hcp 25. The fitting means there will be a big difference to my old clubs. Longer, more upright, thicker grip and a lighter shaft. I wounder if it will be hard to get used to them?

One thing I have thought about after I ordered them is about the wedges. Before I decided to change the entire set I thought about bying one or two new wedges and what angels and bounce the should have. i ordered three wedges in this set and just asume the will be right.

It is frustrating to wait but it is very good reading about them in the meantime.

Hi, My first post in this forum after having read all this thread. I am closing 50 and started golfing one year ago. I play with Dunlop irons that are 30 years old. Last weekend I did a custom fitting and decided for the AP1. My swing has been very inconsistent lately and also during the fitting why I can only hope that the pro choose the rigth set up for me. As he said anything will be an improvment to what I play with today. After reading this thread I am really looking forward to getting the AP1 next week. Most of you that have posted positive remarks are so much better golfers than I am , but I hope they will be fine for me since I am only playing at hcp 25. The fitting means there will be a big difference to my old clubs. Longer, more upright, thicker grip and a lighter shaft. I wounder if it will be hard to get used to them?

One thing I have thought about after I ordered them is about the wedges. Before I decided to change the entire set I thought about bying one or two new wedges and what angels and bounce the should have. i ordered three wedges in this set and just asume the will be right.

It is frustrating to wait but it is very good reading about them in the meantime.
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to THP!

The set wedges will probably work out great for you but it might be worth buying a 56* or so for bunkers or for chipping around the green.
Having clubs custom fitted should make a large difference for you once you get accustomed to them.

Welcome to the forum heffa. You've got yourself an excellent set of irons on the way and I think you'll enjoy them very much. I'd expect a little bit of adjustment time with the new specifications, but don't worry about it too much. We adapt quicker than we think we will in most cases.

Did you get the AP1 wedges or did you buy SM5's?

Thank you ArmyGolf and Hawk. I got the AP1 wedges. Not sure about the lofts but one P and one sandwedge and a gap wedge inbetween. I guess the P is like my old 9 and the only wedge I have now is a P. Funny enough the best shots I make are from 100 meters and closer. The biggest problem is keeping out of the woods from tee.

Congrats, heffa, I don't think you'll regret your decision. The new clubs will probably feel pretty different from what you're used to so I'd urge you to take them to the driving range a few times before you hit the course. There's nothing that makes a club feel more familiar than hitting it. If you're having troubles with inconsistency, lessons are a worthwhile investment. You've spent good money for nice clubs, and there's no shame in taking lessons, all the tour pros do it. That would likely help with keeping the ball out of the woods too, but that problem just proves you're a golfer!
:clapp:

Thank you PirateJim,

I will go to the range before I play with them but if they don't feel to bad I will not be able to stay out of the court. I will take more lessons but the inconsistency is partly because of lessons and the changes I am working on after them. Yesterday felt pretty good for the first time in a long while. I hope to get the new clubs on friday so that I can have one or two rounds in the weekend. The season is coming to an end in Stockholm in about a month but I will play until they close.

Last edited:
I have these irons. I think you will be pleased. Very long and lots of area to mishit all over the face. I am in hook mode now but clubs perform for me outside of the worst swings.

One of the better irons I've played this year for sure. The set I owned still hangs on the wall at golf galaxy. Every now and then I'll take a few swings with them. Such a soft feel for a cast head and super forgiving.

At last I got the clubs yesterday and went to the range. They felt very good and I can't wait to try them out on the course. I did not have any truble to adapt to the longer and more upright clubs. Everything was just more natural. The sandwedge I got was a Vokey 56/14 F. It was absolutely fantastic. I have not had this kind of club before so it was really fun the make the balls stop dead on green from 50 meters.

In true ArmyGolf fashion I've been blaming my clubs for my inability to hit them well.

I feel like the AP1s and I have turned a corner and I'm looking forward to some solid rounds coming up. If I can keep my driver in play I will score well because these irons are really solid.

I love how these clubs are still getting so much love!

Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Yep. 716 just a year out i assume.

Last edited:
The AP1 are defitly good. I have now tried them on the course and I would have moved my handicap down if I had played that kind of round. I scored very well on the holes where I only used irons. Unfourtunately I hardly scored a tall when I used the driver. I made par onall the par threes which is good for my level. Hope to get it all toghether in the end of this month when I will play my second competition in life.

I finally got to hit a set of these in my specs, and loved them so much they went straight in the bag .. I was playing the speedblades but I found the ap1's more forgiving and
much more accurate . I have lost a 1/2 to a club in distance which I will gladly give up with being consistently closer to the stick.
I few other things stood out, distance control is so repeatable and turf reaction is prefect, one other thing they feel pretty nice , softer than the sb's.
Over all very happy , only down side I wish I found these much sooner ,season is drawing to a close here soon . I was also going to order a 52* w2 wedge anyone playing this wedge?
gb

Back