Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if we lose a close one and tiger goes 0-4.

I personally don't think Tiger or Phil (hurts me to say that) are playing well enough right now. Maybe in the coming weeks they will but I'm glad I don't have to make the pick.

As already said earlier, it's a no win situation for Watson.

Disagree on the bolded.

If he picks Tiger and they win... then he will get tons of credit for picking TW.

Imagine if we lose a close one and tiger goes 0-4.

I personally don't think Tiger or Phil (hurts me to say that) are playing well enough right now. Maybe in the coming weeks they will but I'm glad I don't have to make the pick.

As already said earlier, it's a no win situation for Watson.

However, what happens if we lose a close one and Harris English is 0-4??? Don't you think the backlash would be HUGE?

If the team had to be picked today, I don't see how you can pick Tiger if you are building a team to win. He was a net negative on the Ryder cup team last time around, and his game is infinitely worse right now. He's not a team leader or positive presence in the club house from what I can gather. He can't hit driver for crying out loud. How can you play alternate shot if you can't hit a tee ball?

The more pressure, the worse his putting gets too. That doesn't bode well for the Ryder cup. I'm sorry, but picking Tiger pretty much guarantees a loss for the US after he likely goes 0-3. Actually, he'd probably sit for at least one of the matches so make it 0-2.

I'd happily take Moore, Reed and English before Tiger at this point. I could be talked into Mickelson, Bradley and Reed as well. At least these guys can all hit a tee shot when it matters.

Sure, if Tiger is top 3 in his remaining 3 tournaments you could possibly pick him. I don't see that happening with the state of his game.

I would disagree with you 100 times over. The Ryder Cup carries way more clout than the Presidents cup especially since the Euros have dominated the US the last 10 years or so. I think the Euro wins help spawn the players are seeing today that are playing well and the same could be done for the US with a win.
I personally don't think winning the Ryder Cup is going to have anymore of an effect on the growth of the game than winning the President's Cup did last year, especially without one of the biggest names in golf being there.

I would disagree with you 100 times over. The Ryder Cup carries way more clout than the Presidents cup especially since the Euros have dominated the US the last 10 years or so. I think the Euro wins help spawn the players are seeing today that are playing well and the same could be done for the US with a win.

Is the US really behind the Euros when it comes to young talent?

You guys do realize TV ratings only benefit big business. The Sponsors/Tours. TV ratings do not grow golf. Getting people going out and playing grows the game. So your reason for him making the team is it's good for the sport is bogus. Watching a bum Tiger lose for 3 days probably does more harm for the growth of US golf than I Harris English or who ever making a winning putt will. Are we going to have this argument 6-8 years from now if he's in the same boat? Well he's Tiger he deserves a spot for the rest of his playing life ?

Based solely on his Ryder Cup record, which was compiled mainly during his peak years, my answer has to be no.

And for those who talk about his leadership skills, I think he is way too self-centered to show great leadership. IMO, that is why his record is so poor (relative to his skills), because he is too self-centered and doesn't mesh with real team spirit.

As I mentioned to Coers, the game has been on the decline and he won 5 times last year and struggled this year. He aint pulling them in like he used to and the game is not growing in the US. A US win does more to grow the game then TW has done as of late.

Also, in spite of his 5 wins last year, what did he do with the pressure on in the majors? He certainly didn't step up and show us the dominant Tiger.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

If he picks Tiger and they win... then he will get tons of credit for picking TW.

However, what happens if we lose a close one and Harris English is 0-4??? Don't you think the backlash would be HUGE?

If they win it doesn't matter who he picks really. The no win statement is if they lose. This thread backs that up. If they lose and pick tiger people like me will be mad, if they lose and don't pick tiger people like you will be mad.

No win.

You guys do realize TV ratings only benefit big business. The Sponsors/Tours. TV ratings do not grow golf. Getting people going out and playing grows the game. So your reason for him making the team is it's good for the sport is bogus. Watching a bum Tiger lose for 3 days probably does more harm for the growth of US golf than I Harris English or who ever making a winning putt will.

So how do you intend to get people out playing the game?

So how do you intend to get people out playing the game without some sort of advertising?
Wouldn't advertisements on non golf shows be more effective? People watching golf are already interested in golf, so the 20 golf commercials an hour while watching the PGA Tour is just beating a dead horse. And how does TW being on a Ryder Cup team he didn't deserve to be on get people playing?

Have you see the recent world rankings, the top five. Division 1 college team are made up of more international players then americans, more so then before. The euros talent based has grown more than the US.
Is the US really behind the Euros when it comes to young talent?

Wouldn't advertisements on non golf shows be more effective? People watching golf are already interested in golf, so the 20 golf commercials an hour while watching the PGA Tour is just beating a dead horse. And how does TW being on a Ryder Cup team he didn't deserve to be on get people playing?

Because Tiger moves the needle. TV Ratings (based on the amount of people watching) are always up when Tiger is in the field. I feel that the more people watching (higher TV rating) means that there is a greater interest, but that's just my opinion on higher TV ratings.

Because Tiger moves the needle. TV Ratings (based on the amount of people watching) are always up when Tiger is in the field. I feel that the more people watching (higher TV rating) means that there is a greater interest, but that's just my opinion on higher TV ratings.
I get that, but it moves the needle amongst more golfers. I never met someone say, I don't like to play golf but I love watching Tiger Woods play golf. And wouldn't more TV ratings mean less people playing golf? If people stay in to watch they aren't on the course.

Have you see the recent world rankings, the top five. Division 1 college team are made up of more international players then americans, more so then before. The euros talent based has grown more than the US.

I also noticed that 11 out of the top 20 are Americans and 6 out of the top 20 are Euros.

All depends on how you want to look at it I guess.

Just my opinion. No.

Time off due to injury and poor play since returning.

I get that, but it moves the needle amongst more golfers. I never met someone say, I don't like to play golf but I love watching Tiger Woods play golf. And wouldn't more TV ratings mean less people playing golf? If people stay in to watch they aren't on the course.

I can only speak for myself, but after I get done watching a golf tournament on television, all I want to do is get out and play. Granted I like to play all the time, but when I get done watching golf, my desire to play increases even more than usual.

Lively discussion here. I think it has to depend on his next few tournaments. I don't think he necessarily has to win, but he needs to prove that he is healthy and that he can contribute more than just by name. I'd love to see a few top 20's and overall consistency. If he proves that then I think its a no brainer that he make the team.

The US gets boat raced either way. I can't believe its even a question if Tiger gets put on this team. How can you? Theres nothing he has done this year that deserves him credit to be on this team. A lot of the line of thinking in this thread is why Tiger was the number one or two picked person for the Open contest here...people just want Tiger to be the 2002-2004 Tiger that won every other tournament. Its not going to happen. This isnt 2013 Tiger we are working with where he only won the tournaments that he has won at least 4 other times. Hes hurt, hes got layers of competive rust that he can't get shaken off, hes three-way missing it with the driver, hes probably not going to make the FedEx Cup, so that leave him like 2 tournaments to make points and shake off whats wrong with him.

If Tiger, and Phil for that matter, are on this team it will continue to feed the reason why Team USA will continue to get rolled in the Ryder Cup. We hold on to the history that people have had in this Match. The 35 and over crowd are what 3 and 75 in the last 4 Ryder Cups? Thats not going to win you anything other a coach seat on the loser town train. The Americans need to face the fact that the old guard can't compete with the young bombers and mercy killers that the Euros roll out every 2 years.

For who I would pick, I would take a Harris English (played solid all year), Keegan Bradley (good Match Player, has played better of late, has a fire to match that Poults), Ryan Moore (who has been playing some great golf recently), I might even take a flyer on a Kevin Na or Brendon Todd. Worked well in 2010 with Fowler, Bubba, and Overton. All had good but not great years. Young, lots of fire and brash and played great golf when mattered. See Fowler and 4 birds to halve the match when dormie at 15. Thats good TV, and better for the game. Why not give the young guys, our Ryder Cup and Olympic future, a shot. Are we still going to be hanging on hoping Tiger Woods and Phil and Stricker can win us Ryder Cups off the Champions Tour in 2022-2026? At some point the American Ryder Cup side has to let go of the past and embrace the future of golf. Giving a Tiger and Phil mercy picks because of the name does nothing. Tiger getting rolled 6 and 5 doesn't help us at all. Personally I think an Ian Poulter going on a birdie binge over the last 6 holes to win is better for TV than Tiger getting rolled.

I keep seeing growth getting tossed around in this thread. Tiger doesn't do anything for the growth of the sport anymore. Kids, who pretty much every one agrees is the key for growth, doesnt remember the Tiger of 10 years ago. They remember the Rickie, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith, Jason Duffner of current day. You want to grow the game, be sure those guys are in the Ryder Cup and winning Ryder Cups. Putting legends of the game in based on name and not performance isn't going to grow the game or help the Americans win Ryder Cups.

This is became more of a rant, but I just get sick and tired of seeing everyone wanting to hold on to Tiger likes hes still the best player on the planet right now. Hes not. So to answer the question posted by Freddie, NO Tiger doesn't belong on the Ryder Cup team, see above for all my reasons why.

My 2 or 64 cents on the "growing the game debate"
IMO if the US wins it will certainly be more common knowledge in the average houshold if tiger is on the team vs if he isnt. The golfing population and the fans of the sportmay not care either way. But the masses who most want to see get more involved in the sport are not the same as the avid golfer or avid golf fan. Tiger being on the team imo will have a bigger affect on the average persons interest vs if he is not. And i think that goes either way if the US wins or Loses.

He will spark more interest either way. Just the fact that we are having this conversation alone is already a spark of interest and this is among us avid golfers and avid golf fans who no better and the darn thing hasnt even begun. It only stands to reason that the interest sparked among the general massess with Tiger in it would spread better than a cup without him. Even the decision of not having him would in itself spreads a general interest. There is no doubt in my mind that Tiger (even if not doing well) will always spark general interest from a percentage of the massess no matter what. Most people out there in the general population would have troubles to name even ten tour golfers if you asked them. Yet most all of them do know of tiger. Some may even think niklaus is still contending but thats just how powerful the affects of the greatests of a game have on the general population.

For purpose if only was towards populizing the game or trying to grow it you would have to add tiger and that would be true not just for the US. Imo it would also even create a buzz of interest on the other side as well. I'm sure it already is just like we are now doing here. A US win would create buzz here but a US win with tiger would take it into many more households across the nation. And so would a US loss if it involves Tiger. It just gives so much more a reason for it to do so. Just the way it is. One may not like it, but you cant ignore it because thats what it does. In the end many more average people will know about the cup if it involves tiger vs if not.

Tiger has become the Kardashian's of the golf world. He is famous and people watch him, but I just don't understand why.

The US gets boat raced either way. I can't believe its even a question if Tiger gets put on this team. How can you? Theres nothing he has done this year that deserves him credit to be on this team. A lot of the line of thinking in this thread is why Tiger was the number one or two picked person for the Open contest here...people just want Tiger to be the 2002-2004 Tiger that won every other tournament. Its not going to happen. This isnt 2013 Tiger we are working with where he only won the tournaments that he has won at least 4 other times. Hes hurt, hes got layers of competive rust that he can't get shaken off, hes three-way missing it with the driver, hes probably not going to make the FedEx Cup, so that leave him like 2 tournaments to make points and shake off whats wrong with him.

If Tiger, and Phil for that matter, are on this team it will continue to feed the reason why Team USA will continue to get rolled in the Ryder Cup. We hold on to the history that people have had in this Match. The 35 and over crowd are what 3 and 75 in the last 4 Ryder Cups? Thats not going to win you anything other a coach seat on the loser town train. The Americans need to face the fact that the old guard can't compete with the young bombers and mercy killers that the Euros roll out every 2 years.

For who I would pick, I would take a Harris English (played solid all year), Keegan Bradley (good Match Player, has played better of late, has a fire to match that Poults), Ryan Moore (who has been playing some great golf recently), I might even take a flyer on a Kevin Na or Brendon Todd. Worked well in 2010 with Fowler, Bubba, and Overton. All had good but not great years. Young, lots of fire and brash and played great golf when mattered. See Fowler and 4 birds to halve the match when dormie at 15. Thats good TV, and better for the game. Why not give the young guys, our Ryder Cup and Olympic future, a shot. Are we still going to be hanging on hoping Tiger Woods and Phil and Stricker can win us Ryder Cups off the Champions Tour in 2022-2026? At some point the American Ryder Cup side has to let go of the past and embrace the future of golf. Giving a Tiger and Phil mercy picks because of the name does nothing. Tiger getting rolled 6 and 5 doesn't help us at all. Personally I think an Ian Poulter going on a birdie binge over the last 6 holes to win is better for TV than Tiger getting rolled.

I keep seeing growth getting tossed around in this thread. Tiger doesn't do anything for the growth of the sport anymore. Kids, who pretty much every one agrees is the key for growth, doesnt remember the Tiger of 10 years ago. They remember the Rickie, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith, Jason Duffner of current day. You want to grow the game, be sure those guys are in the Ryder Cup and winning Ryder Cups. Putting legends of the game in based on name and not performance isn't going to grow the game or help the Americans win Ryder Cups.

This is became more of a rant, but I just get sick and tired of seeing everyone wanting to hold on to Tiger likes hes still the best player on the planet right now. Hes not. So to answer the question posted by Freddie, NO Tiger doesn't belong on the Ryder Cup team, see above for all my reasons why.

I disagree with the bolded.

My best friend has a little boy that is 5 years old... He has NO CLUE who Rory, Dufner, Spieth and DJ are. He thinks Rickie Fowler is the golfer that wears UVA orange and has a girl haircut. He does not have a clue what his name is... he knows quickly who Tiger Woods is. If Tiger Woods pops up on the TV, he knows exactly who he is.

He just got into the game... he didnt want Cobra golf stuff, but he wanted those clubs with the "TW" on them.

I watch him because I've been a fan for much longer than I've been playing golf. Nothing would make me happier than to see him triumphantly return, especially on a stage like the Ryder cup. My rational side says no... he's not in ryder cup shape right now. But there's just something so thrilling about seeing him play the game when he's playing well. So selfishly I say yes he should be on the team. That might change if it meant bumping one of my other favorites like Spieth or Kuchar.

He'll get picked, because he's tiger woods. I did hear he provides leadership to the event, which I just didn't see him being that kind of guy, but I trust the golf talking heads on that point.

If selection were today, he should not be picked. I don't see him doing anything in the next month or so that would warrant a selection, but I guess he should be given an opportunity to prove his worth.

~Rock

No. He is a crappy match player as a Pro, his game is a mess right now and I don't think he intimidates anyone on the other side anymore so he adds no value. I think between Phil and Tom Watson if you can't get motivated as a player on that team, they have other issues to deal with. There are plenty of players just outside for Watson to pick from that would hand Tiger his ass when the Ryder Cup will be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back