Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Interesting, mine has never come loose. Do you tighten it until it clicks?

Separately, I love this driver so much, it has officially become part of my avatar...
Yes, that torques everything to the correct setting.

Yes, that torques everything to the correct setting.

Right, that's why I asked, because if you weren't tightening to the click, it can work its way loose.

Apparently it will still do this even torqued to spec....good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played around some more with the settings today on the Bertha, along with ball position. I've fought a slice since picking up the game a few seasons ago, lessons helped but it still rears it's ugly head every now and again. When I had the Razr Fit, I had the weights set for draw with a square face, so that's what I naturally did with the Bertha. However, when I went to the course I was hooking it, which surprised me. Today I was still fighting an over-draw, not quite a hook, but the ball was running out enough that I would have definitely been well into the rough.

So imagine my surprise when I shifted the weight to 2 on the fade side, and my ballflight immediately went higher and straighter. I was hitting the netting at the back of the range, in the air, which I have NEVER EVER DONE. Not every shot did it (and the ones that did were most definitely on their way down, they hit maybe 10' up at most), but every shot did go in between the two poles I was imagining was my fairway. I'll take that 8 days a week on the course.

For those who hit both how does this stack to the x2hot pro

I found it more forgiving than the X2Hot Pro when I was fitted. But the again it was the clear winner in ball speed and dispersion when I got fitted. Heads and shoulder above anything I tried.

For those who hit both how does this stack to the x2hot pro
Like any comparison, results are going to depend upon you and your swing and would be enhanced with a fitting too. In my case, the x2hot and the x2hot pro both performed significantly better for me. I tried real hard over the course of a couple months to make Bertha work for me, but I just never could rid myself of her 2 way miss propensity (with my swing) or make her as long as the driver contenders I was her comparing to. I have the 3W and love it. I almost neglected to even test x2hot and x2hot deep as the original xhot was one of the worst 2013 drivers (for MY swing) but was very very pleased with how the x2hot line performed for me. It was right there as maybe the 5th or 6th best driver (for me) of the maybe 20-ish 2013-2014 drivers I tested (pretty thoroughly). Bertha was solidly in the bottom half for me but I'm one who is much more prone to miss the sweet spot vertically versus laterally though. Everything I read here suggests Bertha is super choice for those who miss heel/toe. One thing I will note is that in my experience the standard shaft on Bertha runs a bit softer to flex rating than any of the drivers I tested. I got to where I'd request one grade stiffer whenever comparing her. Also the shaft in Alpha (a driver in my own top 3) is a bit truer to flex IMO and sometimes I'd test Bertha with Alpha's shaft (no extra cost). But play around with Bertha and X2Hot line side by side and see for yourself. If it's feasible get fitted.

Like any comparison, results are going to depend upon you and your swing and would be enhanced with a fitting too. In my case, the x2hot and the x2hot pro both performed significantly better for me. I tried real hard over the course of a couple months to make Bertha work for me, but I just never could rid myself of her 2 way miss propensity (with my swing) or make her as long as the driver contenders I was her comparing to. I have the 3W and love it. I almost neglected to even test x2hot and x2hot deep as the original xhot was one of the worst 2013 drivers (for MY swing) but was very very pleased with how the x2hot line performed for me. It was right there as maybe the 5th or 6th best driver (for me) of the maybe 20-ish 2013-2014 drivers I tested (pretty thoroughly). Bertha was in the bottom half for me but I'm one who is much more prone to miss the sweet spot vertically versus laterally though. Everything I read here suggests Bertha is super choice for those who miss heel/toe. One thing I will note is that in my experience the standard shaft on Bertha runs a bit softer to flex rating than any of the drivers I tested. I got to where I'd request one grade stiffer whenever comparing her. Also the shaft in Alpha (a driver in my own top 3) is a bit truer to flex IMO and sometimes I'd test Bertha with Alpha's shaft (no extra cost). But play around with Bertha and X2Hot line side by side and see for yourself. If it's feasible get fitted.

I will go through a fitting but I've personally narrowed it down to a BB or a X2hot

I will go through a fitting but I've personally narrowed it down to a BB or a X2hot
Good plan. There is enough difference there that your fitter should be able to nail it down perfectly for you!

I played with a guy Sunday using a BB and he was bombing it. He had a nice controlled draw for the most part. Swinging out of his shoes and didn't get away from him. I was impressed for sure. When I swing my R1 like he was swinging that, I spray it. It would be great to hit it to the moon like that and not lose control!

I played with a guy Sunday using a BB and he was bombing it. He had a nice controlled draw for the most part. Swinging out of his shoes and didn't get away from him. I was impressed for sure. When I swing my R1 like he was swinging that, I spray it. It would be great to hit it to the moon like that and not lose control!

That's his swing, not the club tho. I do love the BB having said that : )

That's his swing, not the club tho. I do love the BB having said that : )

Oh yeah no doubt it's unique to him, but the fact that the BB held the line was impressive.

When I get back from a business trip next week - it's going in my bag. I'm really over the R1 at this point

I thought I had read here that the Razr Fit adapter would work with the Bertha? I gave it a try tonight with a DI-6 shaft in my old RFX and no luck. It should be a quick switch to the new adapter (if my local shop has it in stock) right?

I thought I had read here that the Razr Fit adapter would work with the Bertha? I gave it a try tonight with a DI-6 shaft in my old RFX and no luck. It should be a quick switch to the new adapter (if my local shop has it in stock) right?
They are not compatible for sure. Adaptor swaps are pretty quick and easy though

It's the OptiFit adapter that works from what I recall. The Razr was slightly different

Two cog adapter, not the one cog opti-fit adapter.

Waiting on a new shaft to get here Monday- there's a crack in mine, under the ferrule, causing the ferrule to move up the shaft. Callaway sending a new one, no charge.

Almost pulled the trigger tonight but I went to DSG and I despite them. I won't buy from them. Just wanted to test it again and I'll buy from GG or GS.

Because of the lighter swing weight I am swinging 4-5 mph faster than the R1 currently.

On 9.5 with draw lie and the weight full on draw I smashed a few out to about 280 on the monitor. I didn't like the huge draw I got though I was waaaaayyyy left of center on that, BUT with that setting my LA was 16.9 and my spin rate was right around 3200.

I have to go look at my R1 numbers to compare but is say they are fairly close.

The one thing that made me hesitant to get it was that on anything but the full draw settings I was getting such high ball flight. Launch angle was more towards 18 and the spin rate was in the 4500 range. The flight path showed it ballooning out and really robbing the distance. So yes I can adjust it to compensate but It was really awkward looking at the face closed and my swing felt weird.

I'm wondering if tinkering with it more would help straighten out those bombs without causing the balloons. I like the feel of the neutral lie and Apw only slightly on the draw side. But I don't know if results will be optimal.

In either case it would seem the BB is working better even with my currently flawed swing.

Anybody compared these to the xtreme ? The extreme can be had at killer prices right now

Anybody compared these to the xtreme ? The extreme can be had at killer prices right now
Xtreme 440cc was my driver before Bertha. Asides from the bigger size, Bertha sounds way better, more forgiving and I picked up a few yards. Only thing I didnt like about the Xtreme is the dark face get marked up pretty good with range balls. Berthas lighter face still looks brand new.

The pro I had a lesson with last week wanted me to work on moving the ball back in my stance, I was playing it off my toe and he wanted it back an inch or so off of my ankle. It was giving me more of a heavy fade than I liked, so I slid the weight back to neutral and moved to the D setting. Boom. Small draws with a slightly lower ballflight and some decent rollout. I feel like I've lost some distance, but that's most likely due to the other swing changes I'm trying to get down right now, so I'm not swinging for the fences at all due to comfort level.

Bertha an I were a bit hot/cold this past weekend. I was getting good distance but really struggling to keep the ball in the short stuff. I was either over-cooking a draw or setting up for my normal draw and pushing it out right. quite frustrating and I know I just need some range time to get her back on track, but it makes the game a bit more difficult than it has to be when scrambling off the drive.

Xtreme 440cc was my driver before Bertha. Asides from the bigger size, Bertha sounds way better, more forgiving and I picked up a few yards. Only thing I didnt like about the Xtreme is the dark face get marked up pretty good with range balls. Berthas lighter face still looks brand new.

I have the XTreme as well (I got suckered in because there was a UDesign with my school colors for stupid cheap). On the screws, I might be able to get a bit more out of it than the Bertha due to lower spin, but I would wager that my average drive is 20+ yards longer with the Bertha.

I've found over time that this driver is really set up to hit big carrying, high bombs. Which is awesome when I'm hitting it well, and it's pretty forgiving if I drop kick or thin it (which, of course, NEVER happens... :alien: ). However, it isn't hugely forgiving on line for me for some reason, so if I have an off day this thing can be going every which way. The XCG6 I picked up seems to give me a little more help in that department, but less help on launch and tends to have a more boring, mid trajectory that rolls for days. Considering using them interchangeably depending on the conditions of the day...we'll see.

I had to put the big gal on time out. I'm thinking it's a mental thing but whatever I had to put er down for awhile. It's a control issue for me as I have no problems hitting the long bomb with her. My biggest miss is a pull or I hit it high on the face and hit the rain maker. Maybe I need a different shaft or something but I'm thinking it's the Indian and not the arrow.

Back