Fitting Clubs for the First Time: Question

thecpk

Reaction score
Handicap
I went today to a golf shop to try fitting for the first time. After hitting a few balls, the fitter told me that steel was the better option for the shaft for me. Moving on to the head of the clubs (irons), we tried Ping, Cleveland, Taylormade and Mizuno. While I preferred the Mizuno ones (JPX 825), he said they would not allow me to progress, as they are easy to hit, and therefore recommended Taylormades (Speedblade Steel 85). My issue is that I liked the Mizuno ones better in terms of feeling, how well I seemed to hit and the look of them. So I'm torn. Can anyone verify what he said about the Mizuno ones not allowing me to progress?

Plain and simple, its bullish!t. Buy what you like brotha and go have a blast playing them. All my opinion but I don't believe in that can't progress crap

Generally, buzz phrases such as clubs not letting you grow, or you will grow into these clubs, etc. are something to ignore IMO. You would be fine with either set, and I know that firsthand because I gamed both the JPX 825 and the Speedblades. And either set will be great even if you improve 20 strokes off your handicap.

Get the clubs that you enjoyed hitting, that's all that matters in the end.

My opinion? Buy the Mizunos that you like.

By the time you have "progressed", you will probably want something different anyways.

Play what makes the game fun/easier for you. Not saying the TM wouldn't be a good fit for you. But if you like/want the Mizunos, buy them.

I'm not sure I even understand what he was trying to say.

Would not allow you to progress but are easy to hit? I'll take easy to hit every day of the week. The bottom line is you want to improve your ball striking and lower your scores, correct? If it feels and looks good to YOU, you will more than likely score better with them.

Buy the ones you like and hit better. The idea of over forgiving clubs (if that's what he's saying) holding your game back is utter nonsense.

If a fitter tells me that I am not going to progress because of a club's design, or that a certain design will force me to become a better ball striker, I am leaving immediately and not paying him.

I'm not sure I even understand what he was trying to say.

Me neither. Especially because many would say that the speedbladez are one of the most forgiving irons out there

Thanks for the answers everyone. Ya I think getting the Mizunos may be the better option for me. Would anyone recommend something else than the JPX 825 from the brand?

length, Loft, Lie, Swing weight, shaft flex. Get those five things correct and you can interchange any brand head in there and "progress". Get the Mizuno's if that's what you prefer.

Thanks for the answers everyone. Ya I think getting the Mizunos may be the better option for me. Would anyone recommend something else than the JPX 825 from the brand?

JPX EZ and JPX EZ Forged are fun as well. The H4/H5 are nice but less forgiving (IMO) than the 825.

Look, I've been "fit" a bunch of times and to me, even with the crappy ones I've been through, this would have taken the cake for worst! Go with what feels best, as others have said on here. For me, the fitting I recently had in Michigan was the ONLY one I've had that involved hitting on a range, with Trackman, and with any head and shaft combo one could dream of from every major OEM. It's also the first time I've received the clubs afterwards and was hitting straighter and longer than going-in. Just be careful of what is defined as "fitting"...

Make this crazy game the EASIEST as humanly possible.

If you like the JPX's, then get them!

If you like them, game them. But I wouldn't buy them from him.
Which is worse, buying clubs that make the game more fun and easier or buying clubs that make the game less fun and harder? I'm not saying one club is better than the other but if you have an affinity for a club that makes this game just a little more fun FOR YOU no one can say not get them.

Most everybody here is exactly right. I would not trust anything about this, including the "fitting". And i certainly would not spend money with someone that gave that advice.

Yeah, I agree with the consensus on this one. Sounds to me like the "fitter" is more interested in making the sale and not really looking out for your best interest. If you are not pressured for time to buy a new set than go out and try as many different brands and types of irons as you can.

Fyi, Mizuno is set to release their new JPX-850 line in the fall of this year...............

Back