Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify I don't like Tiger, I think he is playing pretty unreliably right now but the fact of the matter (as I see it) is that sadly right now there are no better options.

Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Keegan is a better option IMO. I would also takes Sneds and probably Horschel as well. Time to get some fire on the US side.

So he beats him by one stroke and that is defined as playing better golf even though Tiger just came off a 3 month layoff? Check. Koepka is definitely our guy.

Did Tiger beat him this weekend? More excuses from the Tiger clan? Koepka also beat him at the Honda Classic and the desert classic in Dubai, the only other tournament they were in together. So yep maybe he is our guy. At least he can find the ball when he hits driver while averaging almost 20 yards more off the tee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reasoning behind this?

4 top 10's and 10 top 25's but more importantly I think we need a guy (or 3) with fire in his belly. His performance in the last RC was pretty spectacular and he just seems like he would be a better teammate than Tiger (especially if he wasnt playing well).

NO.......Pick a much younger player that is playing well.

4 top 10's and 10 top 25's but more importantly I think we need a guy (or 3) with fire in his belly. His performance in the last RC was pretty spectacular and he just seems like he would be a better teammate than Tiger (especially if he wasnt playing well).

Fair enough and can't say I disagree.

Why don't we all sit back and see how he plays at the Bridgestone and the PGA before revisiting this topic. If he shows better form in those 2 tournaments, then one would have to consider him for a captain's pick.

He'll never admit it, but I bet that Watson is hoping that Phil plays his way into one of the 9 automatic picks so that he's not in a situation where he would have to use 2 captain's picks on Phil and Tiger. Phil is #11 right now.

So I'm curious, those who talk about Tiger being a poor teammate and poor leader, do you think the players who have spoke about playing with Tiger and having him as a teammate are lying? I've never once heard anything from anybody (media, other players, captains, assistants, etc) that point to Tiger being a poor teammate and a poor leader. In fact it's quite the opposite from all the reports that I've read.

I am pretty firmly in the "no" camp and would echo the sentiment of my fellow Virginian, martsy - -
you forgot another con...he has been far from "Tiger Woods" in previous Ryder Cups, or really any match play events since he's gone pro. He's got a losing record. That, plus his 70th ranking, and just coming back from surgery, makes me feel it should be a resounding no. If he had a history of being clutch in previous Ryder cups, I might be able to overlook everything else.

So I'm curious, those who talk about Tiger being a poor teammate and poor leader, do you think the players who have spoke about playing with Tiger and having him as a teammate are lying? I've never once heard anything from anybody (media, other players, captains, assistants, etc) that point to Tiger being a poor teammate and a poor leader. In fact it's quite the opposite from all the reports that I've read.

There have actually been quite a few on this. The best story I read on it came from a friend at a NY Paper. This is Crouse's article from 2012 about his evolution as a teammate. Solid read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/s...tiger-woods-evolution-as-a-teammate.html?_r=0

I'll don't think it's unrealistic to think some guys have kept negative things about Tiger as a teammate out of the media. I'd say they have too much class and respect for the game to throw him under the bus.

I'd say if they started bashing Tiger as a poor Ryder Cup teammate that would in turn make them look like bad teammates.

Just my opinion.

Those that have stood their ground against tiger have been black balled, beaten badly on the course or not granted interviews. Guys don't poke tiger because telling the truth gets you now where. I know guys on tour that will say on thing in private and another in differ bet situations.

Do you want to win? Then no. Do you want to avoid a media circus and not hurt someone's feelings? Then yes.

Right now I would leave him off the team(but I seriously doubt that will happen).
If he plays himself back into form before Watson has to make his pick, I would pick him.

Yeah, absolutely. Who would want to speak negatively about him and deal with the media firestorm that would ensue?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

There is no way I put Tiger on this team. His golf game is not ready, and his record in the Ryder Cup has not been impressive even when he was playing well. Same thing with Stricker. He's in "semi-retirement" and hasn't been very good in the Ryder cup either. Leave them both at home this year.

You should not get a spot on name alone.

He should definitely be picked! Guaranteed points for the European team :D

As a European, I'd say yes, points for team Europe for sure.
As a golf fan, I have to say no: Tiger is nowhere near the form we expect from him. I'd rather much see a player with decent form show up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The US will be underdogs either way it goes. Tiger should be on the team. Look at the guys who missed the cuts in Tiger's last 2 tournaments.

The varied formats of the Ryder limit the negative damage from a single hole. That helps Tiger. His ceiling is just as high as every other member on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick the best, right now, he's not one of them.

Look, I'm not saying he should be in the Ryder Cup at all. In fact my first post in this thread stated that I thought if he played well enough to make the FedEx Cup playoffs (which I think would mean 1 or 2 top 3 finishes), then yes he deserved a look.

However, we got on the topic of whether or not Tiger being in the Ryder Cup would be a detriment to the game of golf. I personally don't think there is any athlete on the planet in ANY sport that draws as much attention and scrutiny as Tiger Woods. And in order to get any growth in any sport, you need to get eyes on that sport. Tiger puts eyes on golf, whether they are just casual fans or not, he makes golf relevant for some people.

_____________The interest in golf is not dwindling because of Tiger Woods, it's dwindling because of a multitude of other factors that has nothing to do with the PGA Tour players.

That line says it all, THE INTEREST! It will take another dominating sportsman such Tiger Woods to spark new interest in the game of golf but the Economy is the biggest factor of all right now.

These picks will be made in September. Asking this question now is as silly as all the articles talking about how Tiger is done and will never win another major. The reality of the situation will be evident over the coming months and, at the very least, we should wait to see how his game comes back together (or doesn't as the case may be).

The ratings do not matter, and won't factor into Watson's decision. I can guarantee you that. The TV contract is set for the next NINE Ryder Cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back