Please Critique my Swing

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Newbie so please be gentle :D

I'm about to have some lessons but before I do I thought it would be a good idea to post up a video and get some feedback on my swing.

I feel like I've made a bit of progress in recent weeks but my ball striking is still incredibly inconsistent. I step up to the ball not knowing if I'm going to catch it right, thin it, fat it, slice it, or miss it altogether :D

Any feedback on my video would be appreciated! Sorry the video isn't that clear, shooting into bright sun!

Thanks
Martin

Also did a frame by frame in pictures

Untitled_2.jpg

I see a few things that could be improved:

1) the clubhead is still very closed halfway through your backswing
2) the club's path is significantly more vertical than necessary. the clubhead should be more behind you than over your head. This is probably causing #1
3) you do rotate your hips, but at least to my eye it doesn't seem like a real part of your swing, rather an afterthought. Perhaps try starting your downswing with your hips.
4) i can't really tell but it looks like your grip might need some help. specifically the left hand. I think that is contributing to the first two issues.
5) posture. a bit more knee bend maybe, and try to push your chest out more to straighten your spine and lessen the slumped shoulders.

I'm sure Freddie will have a lot more to offer, but that's what I see. best of luck!

5) posture. a bit more knee bend maybe, and try to push your chest out more to straighten your spine and lessen the slumped shoulders.

First thing I saw.

Bristol you pick the club up with the arms and drop it into the slot the same way. A flying right elbow is a result of the lifting of the arms instead of the turning of the shoulders. Every flaw you have is related to the fact your do not turn away from the ball. The shoulders have to turn against the lower body to produce power. The club is leverage against the lower body. The releasing of the club is related to the lower body releasing through the shot. The arms are along for the ride but become sync'd during the back swing and through swing. Right now you are using them as your only form swing. Everything else has to adjust in order for you to make contact.

Bristol you pick the club up with the arms and drop it into the slot the same way. A flying right elbow is a result of the lifting of the arms instead of the turning of the shoulders. Every flaw you have is related to the fact your do not turn away from the ball. The shoulders have to turn against the lower body to produce power. The club is leverage against the lower body. The releasing of the club is related to the lower body releasing through the shot. The arms are along for the ride but become sync'd during the back swing and through swing. Right now you are using them as your only form swing. Everything else has to adjust in order for you to make contact.

Thanks Freddie.

I had a bit of a eureka moment the other day and realised that I was turning my shoulders, but tried to do this while keeping my torso in as close to the address position as possible. This was making it very difficult to get my shoulder under my chin. Since then I've been practiing turning better whilst keeping those angles, i.e. by turning the hips as well. Before I was trying to turn my shoulders without hips moving much at all, which was giving me all kinds of issues.

Bit by bit...slowly getting things...in another 25 years I might be able to make a few good shots :D

Thanks Freddie.

I had a bit of a eureka moment the other day and realised that I was turning my shoulders, but tried to do this while keeping my torso in as close to the address position as possible. This was making it very difficult to get my shoulder under my chin. Since then I've been practiing turning better whilst keeping those angles, i.e. by turning the hips as well. Before I was trying to turn my shoulders without hips moving much at all, which was giving me all kinds of issues.

Bit by bit...slowly getting things...in another 25 years I might be able to make a few good shots :D

Based on the video your shoulders were not turning. Your shoulders should be able to turn 45* with no issue. If some one I'd standing on your right and you go to shake their hand with your left. Your shoulders turn close to 45*. This is assuming you don't move your feet and turn your body toward them.

Thanks again Freddie.

I actually had my first solo lesson yesterday so will start a thread to track my progress soon! It will keep me motivated to practice as I'll want to be reporting back with good news!!

Hey Freddie

Took another video on the range today, was wondering if you could please give me some feedback on my progress in the month or so since my first video. The swing looks and feels a lot different to me! I'm still hitting a lot of mishits, but I'm hitting more good shots than I used to for sure!

Would really appreciate your thoughts! Sorry for the bad quality (silhouette!), and it's a bit further away than I'd like

Thank you

imagejpg1_zps7c86f12c.jpg

The swing on the left is what we are looking to achieve. The swing on the right is basically where we are now.

you're still taking the club away with arms which is getting you too upright. From this position you either need to be Jim Furyk or we need to adjust. We want to get the club work more around your body and not over your body. Around your body will allow for an inside to out delivery.

Keep the club head low as you take it away. The path should be slight inside your intended target line. Allow the left shoulder to push the hands away from the ball. Once the club head gets past the right shin, fold the right arm into a 90* angle and complete your shoulder turn. Work on this move at least three times before each shot at the driving range.

imagejpg1_zps7c86f12c.jpg

The swing on the left is what we are looking to achieve. The swing on the right is basically where we are now.

you're still taking the club away with arms which is getting you too upright. From this position you either need to be Jim Furyk or we need to adjust. We want to get the club work more around your body and not over your body. Around your body will allow for an inside to out delivery.

Keep the club head low as you take it away. The path should be slight inside your intended target line. Allow the left shoulder to push the hands away from the ball. Once the club head gets past the right shin, fold the right arm into a 90* angle and complete your shoulder turn. Work on this move at least three times before each shot at the driving range.

Thanks for great advice as always Freddie. Been working on it a lot indoors today and already feel like I'm getting less upright gradually.

Hey Freddie

Been working a lot on some drills at home for the last couple of days to try and stop lifting the club with the arms, and took it to the range tonight.

Still got a long way to go to stop doing it completely, but feel like I'm making progress each time. Would you be so kind as to have a look at my latest video and offer your thoughts?

(Ignore my horrible posture - starting a seperate thread on this!)

Here is the video:

And here is a quick reference on where I am at the top of my backswing now versus where I was 6 weeks ago. Whenever I feel like forgetting this silly game, I will take a look at this to remind myself I am making progress, however slow it may be! Look at the club position in relation to my head in that first picture :bulgy-eyes:

ea813b106f0eee2f7f0c01fcbc47f157.png

Back