Upcoming Golf Channel "In Play" Episode About Counterfeit Equipment

caught most of the segment and it was pretty good in terms of gaining more knowledge as a buyer. As with anything, if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is..... and probably a fake.

Watched most of it. Pretty insane how large of a problem this is.

Though hopefully people start to realize that they should take the 5 min to call customer service to insure they are dealing with an authorized dealer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Did they even talk about the playability of the clubs and if they are close to getting the same numbers??

Did they even talk about the playability of the clubs and if they are close to getting the same numbers??

They did robot testing of the counterfeit clubs vs. the real versions using Trackman to obtain data. The short version: the counterfeit clubs performed horribly.

I was hoping to hear that answer. And I imagine most people that would buy the club would probably think it was them that was the issue. I know I bought some clones back in the day at this golf show, and they worked ok for me. I couldn't pass up a whole custom fit iron set for $140.
They did robot testing of the counterfeit clubs vs. the real versions using Trackman to obtain data. The short version: the counterfeit clubs performed horribly.

I was hoping to hear that answer. And I imagine most people that would buy the club would probably think it was them that was the issue. I know I bought some clones back in the day at this golf show, and they worked ok for me. I couldn't pass up a whole custom fit iron set for $140.

I think there is a difference between clones and counterfeits....the clones seem to be built more like what they are copying without trying to pass them off as name brand, and several people swear by the playability of their set..I actually bought a set of Nike iron clones from Linksman for my son and they play really really well and have had amazing durability, but I knew they were clones when we bought them......the counterfeits are all about looking like the name brand enough to fool a buyer into thinking it's the real deal regardless of how they perform after the purchase.

I can tell you one thing for sure after watching last nights episode.... based on what I learned watching last nights show I am quite convinced that my driver is a counterfeit... how else could you explain it's sometimes inconsistent pattern & distance??? hahahaha

I think there is a difference between clones and counterfeits....the clones seem to be built more like what they are copying without trying to pass them off as name brand, and several people swear by the playability of their set..I actually bought a set of Nike iron clones from Linksman for my son and they play really really well and have had amazing durability, but I knew they were clones when we bought them......the counterfeits are all about looking like the name brand enough to fool a buyer into thinking it's the real deal regardless of how they perform after the purchase.

I can tell you one thing for sure after watching last nights episode.... based on what I learned watching last nights show I am quite convinced that my driver is a counterfeit... how else could you explain it's sometimes inconsistent pattern & distance??? hahahaha
Most defiantly has to be a counterfeit. The real drivers go 300 yards and straight.

I just watched this now, first off the guy that bought the G25 is full of it. There's no way as a golfer "who only buys name brands" as they said would sit there and think, hey this driver from some unknown site has to be real. Sorry not buying it. Then at the end they said Ping actually sent him a real one first off gotta say thats a great company for you and secondly he's a horrible person laughing on how he made out trying to be a cheapskate. I have no problem saving money buying used but never would I think getting a brand new driver for almost half off was real.

I thought he said that he only buys name brands now, because of his experience on line. I could be wrong.
And, to make matters worse, I smelled my putter grips after the segment. Damn Jimmy Roberts. Now I need to head to the golf shop to smell their putter grips. :banghead:

I thought he said that he only buys name brands now, because of his experience on line. I could be wrong.
And, to make matters worse, I smelled my putter grips after the segment. Damn Jimmy Roberts. Now I need to head to the golf shop to smell their putter grips. :banghead:

just had to rewind it to make sure, they said he only buys brand names cause he believes in them and after demoing the G25 he went online to look for one.

That at sucks about your putter though and hope it works out that it's legit.

I just watched the replay of this. Interesting for sure. Though I'm thinking they tried really hard to say the knock offs were terrible. I wish they had of shown more information. Were the shafts real or not? I would have liked to have seen some non-drivers compared too. I'd never buy counterfeit equipment, but imo they just did a cursory look at the 3 clubs and then said, 'trust us, the white taped ones sucked.' I did think it funny that on the one chart they showed, if you took out the one outlier the counterfeit club had a tighter dispersion.

Good point about the shafts. I was thinking the same thing when I watched it. Would be curious to know if the shafts were authentic or fake as well.

I was at work and forgot to dvr this last night. I need to set it to record the next time they air it, sounds interesting.

I have the episode DVR'd at home. Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

Good point about the shafts. I was thinking the same thing when I watched it. Would be curious to know if the shafts were authentic or fake as well.

I once was at the range next to a guy who just bought a driver from some Chinese web site. It was a Taylormade R9 and I had the real deal at the time.

He asked me to hit his and see if it was real or not. Holy crap was the shaft awful. Worse than a wet noodle. I had to swing half speed just to sort of square the face.

I told him it was absolutely fake, no question. Then head was slightly different too.

So I'd say yes, fake shafts and that's probably the worst part of the driver from my experience. Horrible shaft.

Watched it, not all that shocked that performance suffered in the fakes. These seemed to be flat out fakes, not extras spit off the same production lines after hours.
It does concern me that some of them looked, at a glance, pretty flipping good. I'm not in any danger of buying from dodgy websites, but if these popped up on kijiji or a used bin...yeah, I could get taken.
And I'm pretty sure a lot of them get turned over when they don't perform as expected.

Dang I forgot to watch this. Is there a replay coming up?

whelp, i'm never buying a club on ebay ever again.

Thanks for posting the links. Really wish they would have shown the inside of the counterfeit Titleist vs inside of a real one.

Thanks for posting the links. Really wish they would have shown the inside of the counterfeit Titleist vs inside of a real one.

i had the exact same thought when they cut it open.

Back