PING G30 Driver, Fairway Woods, Hybrids & Irons

The Ping rep was at our club today with the full line. I previously tired out the irons and thought they were very good. Hit the G30 driver in a few configurations and just couldn't get along with hit, was producing far too much spin and the launch was too high, felt like I was hitting PW's. Decided to take my Optiforce 440 with Diamana Kali, out of the bag room and I'm at a loss as to why I ever stopped hitting this driver. What a beast, perfect combination of trajectory and dispersion - ball takes off once hitting the ground.

Anyhow, back to the G30 - won't be buying it.

Went to GG today and gave the driver a go. It was very nice but according to the #'s on the monitor my driver is giving me more distance. I would love to give it a chance in real play with my own ball and not just on the monitor and net but for now I'm staying with my current set up. Sad though cause I really wanted to like it.

Had the opportunity to hit the irons today. The forgiveness was good, shot hit on the toe only lost about 4-5 yards. Distance was good in comparison to Mizuno EZ and the Nike Covert 2.0's. I also compared these to the G25 irons and the G30's were only about 2-3 yards longer and the dispersion was about the same as the G25's. For me the G30's are not worth the difference in price over the G25's.

Took 3 swings with the driver tonight. 10.5 degree stiff stock shaft. The turbulators don't bother me. Sure they look funny at first sight, but when lining up to take a swing they were a non factor. Also PING continues to nail it with the matte finish. Just looks really good and is WAY better than the Covert matte black.

So 2 with the 10.5 I had 2 that were very similar in numbers. Kind of a pull draw, but would be playable. Launch was 9.8 and spin was around 3400 rpms. Carry was 235. I could live with those numbers as I tend to spin the ball off the driver. This needs to be hit again.

So the R Flex shaft is 45.75. I would need it cut down an inch or so...how difficult with the G30 would it be to adjust back to original SW? I have a Nike Covert VRS which I took a little over an inch off but lead tape did the trick. Not sure if the G30 with the counter balance shaft and such would be different?

The Ping rep was at our club today with the full line. I previously tired out the irons and thought they were very good. Hit the G30 driver in a few configurations and just couldn't get along with hit, was producing far too much spin and the launch was too high, felt like I was hitting PW's. Decided to take my Optiforce 440 with Diamana Kali, out of the bag room and I'm at a loss as to why I ever stopped hitting this driver. What a beast, perfect combination of trajectory and dispersion - ball takes off once hitting the ground.

Anyhow, back to the G30 - won't be buying it.

Spin is knocked down with the Ping Tour 65 shaft. That combo is a killer.

Compared the PING G30 driver against my G25 driver Friday with my Bridgestone Tour B330 balls. I used the G30 9° with Tour 65 upgrade Shaft set at 9.6° vs my G25 at 9.5° with Mitsubishi ahina' shaft.

At my 110 average swing speed the G30 averaged 600 less spin, 1° less launch, 4 yards less carry, and 9 more total distance.

So the quick verdict is this thing is an improvement based on numbers and that Tour 65 shaft performed well. Sound was better (more muted), looks are about the same, but feel was.. um.. not as good as the G25 coming off the face. Vs the i25 I like the G30 better Vs the G25, I like the G25 better.

Compared the PING G30 driver against my G25 driver Friday with my Bridgestone Tour B330 balls. I used the G30 9° with Tour 65 upgrade Shaft set at 9.6° vs my G25 at 9.5° with Mitsubishi ahina' shaft.

At my 110 swing speed the G30 averaged 600 less spin, 1° less launch, 4 yards more carry, and 9 total distance.

So the quick verdict is this thing is an improvement based on numbers and that Tour 65 shaft performed well. Sound was better (more muted), looks are about the same, but feel was.. um.. not as good as the G25 coming off the face. Vs the i25 I like the G30 better Vs the G25, I like the G25 better.

I find it very interesting that you like the sound of the G30, but prefer the feel of the G25. Usually the two go together, thanks for the update!

wow hit this bad boy at golfsmith yesterday. come august 1st it will be kicking the R1 out of the bag

I finally got a chance to hit the driver. It may be one of the easiest drivers I have ever hit. Super stable and felt really good. I used the stock stiff shaft and saw some highish spin numbers, but I feel like I could make that head work.

I find it very interesting that you like the sound of the G30, but prefer the feel of the G25. Usually the two go together, thanks for the update!

Could be that I hit the center of the G25 more since it's my gamer and to me translates to feel, G30 was just a demo club so wasn't fully tuned in to me yet.

I've never been a believer in "sound" is feel even though studies do prove it. I played forged Mizuno blades for a long time but my PING i25's feel as buttery on center hits, they just don't sound buttery. Through my hands they feel as good. Then again, I practice mostly with headphones on so maybe I'm more sensitive to how something feels through my hands.

I was able to demo the G30 irons this weekend. I came away fairly impressed. I really like that they thinned down the soles on these. They are almost as thin as the i20's...The top line is a little thicker, but not too thick. Very nice looking irons...better than the pictures IMO.

My demo was with the CFS shaft and I was hitting the 7 iron long, high and straight. I already pulled the trigger on the driver and may do the same with the irons. The G30's should be a big hit...

Took about ten swings today at GG with the 10.5 , and liked the look, sound is a little high pitched for me, feeling is not bad, and forgiveness is there but also felt like a powerful strike on a few swings. I was hitting off a short Tee, i would like to get the G30 out on a open range and find a good tee height for it and really put it through the paces.

I liked that i did not hit any of them well at all, but still manged about 225 avg.

I may rethink my previous post....Played today with my i20's and par'd 16 holes...the other two holes were bogies with me missing two 5 footers...only missed two greens and had 36 putts. And of course after ordering the G30 driver, I' m starting to RIP my Alpha. In two days I've gone from"pondering" a whole G30 bag set up to just sticking with what I've got...Why is the grass ALWAYS greener?????

If it is any consolation....IF I was going to "flush" my whole bag, it would be for the G30's...:bulgy-eyes:

I hit the driver today in x and I didn't like the lightweight feel very much, the head didn't seem to like toe misses very much at all.

I also launched the begeeses out of the 9* head no data from today but it was quite a bit higher than my current gamer. My normal peak ball flight is the tree tops at the back of the range and I was way over them with the G30.

We've got Ping demo days around here today. I hope to try the driver and irons.

Not going to be able to make the launch event tonight, but I'm looking forward to hitting these against my gamers to see how they stack up.

Put in my custom order a few days ago for a 10.5 G30 cut down and stabilized to 44.5". Going to put a Win Dry-Tac midsized on it. I think they said it would be shipped out around Aug 11th or so.

Until then........
tumblr_mp14bzmDAU1s99dcoo1_r1_400.gif

Just reserved a time for a local demo day on Monday. Can't wait to go try the irons out. I am sure I will take a couple hacks w/ the Darth Vader driver too.

I just got back from Golfsmith for the G30 Demo day. I hit the 7 iron and the driver into the simulator.

7-iron: They had a small offering of shafts, I hit both the stiff and regular KBS (wasn't C-taper, I assume it was the Tour. The lighting was kind of dark and I didn't have my glasses. The Ping web site doesn't show KBS shafts as standard for this series?) I like the head shape, not as clunky as other G series I've seen friends play. I did like the feel of the head. I carried each shaft similarly about 10 yards further than my current 7 iron, the regular flex had a higher flight. Would be interested to see other shafts so I'll look for a larger demo day.

Driver: I hit the 10.5* in the standard stiff offering they had which I believe is the TFC419D. The head felt a bit lighter than my current RBZ (maybe it's the shaft) but felt in control. I hit 5 shots 265-280, no slice. Really liked it. Not in the market, but if I do soon, that should be a contender

I got a sweet G30 hat for the test flight and my name is entered for a driver drawing (or so they say).

I went to golfsmith today to try the stiff 10.5. When I hit it on the screws, it was still considerably short for me compared to bio cell+. I actually did really like the sound though, and turbolators didn't bother me at all

Last edited:
Anyone compared this against their gamer yet? Any increase in club head speed, even if very little?

Anyone compared this against their gamer yet? Any increase in club head speed, even if very little?

I hit a 10.5 and 9 against my X Hot 10.5. Ball speed increased by 4 mph. When caught nicely I was hitting it around 280 (typical drive is 260).

It was higher spinning though by almost 1000 rpm. I had a problem with keeping the fade away. I also had more short drives with the G30. If it started turning right I lost a lot of distance. I also had my longest drive of the session with the G30. And the head was huge! I noticed it right away.

My buddy walked out with a new G30, I stuck with my X Hot for now because it was more predictable for me, which may be unfair since it's my gamer.

Swing speed was 97 average for both.

sent from The Note 3

4mph ball speed over the XHot is pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Back