Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly or not it's generated one hell of a debate. So obviously it's a hot topic that is interesting to people.

Let's say he wins the Bridgestone... and finishes 50th at the PGA.

Does he make it then? Would you pick him?

If he gets a win? Yup, I'd take him then.

Let's say he wins the Bridgestone... and finishes 50th at the PGA.

Does he make it then? Would you pick him?

Yes. A win (or Top 5-10) and you know he's healthy. If he continues to grind out middle pack finishes, the question, is he not healthy and this is the best he's got right now, persists. I know that doesn't seem like something Tiger would do, comeback before he's ready, but I think he's trying keep those competitive juices stirring and somehow get his confidence back. He has nothing to prove and Jack's record will be there next year.

You should not get a spot on name alone.
You are right. Names mean nothing in sports, especially golf. #sarcasm.

Tiger's name and resume will get him the spot as it should. It's a captain's pick, not next man up. If Tiger can walk and fog a mirror in September, pick him and move along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right. Names mean nothing in sports, especially golf. #sarcasm.

Tiger's name and resume will get him the spot as it should. It's a captain's pick, not next man up. If Tiger can walk and fog a mirror in September, pick him and move along.

How far has his name got him lately?
So if he's still playing like crap he should get a spot for his name alone.

I would expect him to improve this year. Can't really envision a scenario where he doesn't get picked. Unless he reinjures himself.

Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

How far has his name got him lately?

Really? He only won 5 times last year. That's all. That's almost Bubba Watson's entire career. He's not John Daly.

And it's a captain's pick. Would Tiger be the first CP not in top form? Doubtful.

Really? He only won 5 times last year. That's all. That's almost Bubba Watson's entire career. He's not John Daly.

I'm talking this year. If he doesn't improve then he should not get a spot. If he can get close to normal then I would be happy to see him on the team

I'm talking this year. If he doesn't improve then he should not get a spot. If he can get close to normal then I would be happy to see him on the team

And it's a captain's pick. Would Tiger be the first CP not in top form? Doubtful.

To be fair, he's played a whopping 6 competitive rounds since coming back from surgery. And before the surgery he was playing with an injury.

As Frank Nobilo said, Tiger made the cut in The Open after only having played two competitive rounds since back surgery. That's no small feat, there were a lot of players who have been completely healthy all year that played in The Open and didn't make the cut.

To be fair, he's played a whopping 6 competitive rounds since coming back from surgery. And before the surgery he was playing with an injury.

As Frank Nobilo said, Tiger made the cut in The Open after only having played two competitive rounds since back surgery. That's no small feat, there were a lot of players who have been completely healthy all year that played in The Open and didn't make the cut.
As "I"said if he can't get it together then "I" feel he shouldn't. The OP asked our thoughts. I'm sharing how I feel about it

If only we could make a tiger Cameron thread. The Internet would explode.

The guy, even healthy isn't one of the best players deserving of a spot on that team this year. He's coming off back surgery, and isn't a great Ryder Cup team player. Does well in singles, but has not done well in the other formats. I don't believe he deserves a pick this year.

The guy, even healthy isn't one of the best players deserving of a spot on that team this year. He's coming off back surgery, and isn't a great Ryder Cup team player. Does well in singles, but has not done well in the other formats. I don't believe he deserves a pick this year.

Put him with Kuchar in the paired events and he should be good.

Ain't it the truth. Posit any question and watch the fur fly. It doesn't even matter what question, people's answers are pre-determined.

Ain't it the truth. Posit any question and watch the fur fly. It doesn't even matter what question, people's answers are pre-determined.

What other kind of answers are there. A question is asked and people answer with their opinion and then those opinions are further debated in conversation. This is part of what the forum is for. For debate and conversing and includes both facts and opinions. Only when one may get personal does it then become problematic. I'm not really following your point.

Put him with Kuchar in the paired events and he should be good.

So he can only play well with one person on the team? Yep sounds like someone I'd waste a pick on.

So he can only play well with one person on the team? Yep sounds like someone I'd waste a pick on.

So you would want to break up the Phil & Keegan duo just for the sake of having them play with other players?

Tiger and Kuchar are a team that works well with one another, why not have them play together?

At this point, I honestly believe it would be throwing a captain's pick away completely. His Ryder Cup record isn't stellar even when he was healthy and younger. Listing "leadership" as one of the pros to picking him is almost laughable in my opinion. The only legitimate argument to make for picking him right now is, he's Tiger Woods. Again, just my opinion, but that's what it is.

I don't have time to read the whole thread right now, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I found it really interesting and cool to see how much Tiger seemed to have fun playing with Dufner over the weekend. Now, I'm already on record saying I don't think Tiger should get a pick, but if he does, pairings with him have always been tricky and this looks like it has some potential for future Ryder/President's Cups...

So 0-3-1 last Ryder cup with the super team of stricker/woods everyone talked about. How do we know the same thing isn't going to happen again? It's not as if Kuchar is playing stellar golf either.

At this point I just don't know. So many other guys just outside the automatic in's that are playing much better golf. At the same time it's hard to go against him as a captains pick. IMO I would like to see how he plays in his upcoming events.

To his defense, one loss was after the cup had already been clinched.

Another loss, opponent shoots 63 on his own ball and Stricker was pretty much doing nothing.

To his defense, one loss was after the cup had already been clinched.

Another loss, opponent shoots 63 on his own ball and Stricker was pretty much doing nothing.

They were both doing nothing in those rounds in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back