DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a great time today guys. One of these days I will figure out how to get off the tee box again. You all played some good golf today. I'm impressed with everyone's game right now.
It was fun seeing so many good shots played. I had that feeling over and over today. Great job by you all.

Had a great time today guys. One of these days I will figure out how to get off the tee box again. You all played some good golf today. I'm impressed with everyone's game right now.
It was fun seeing so many good shots played. I had that feeling over and over today. Great job by you all.

Thanks buddy, the tee game will come around.

Maybe we need to get you trying some new drivers? I have a few options!

I woukd like to come down for a weekend in august and tee it up with you gents.

I would enjoy that buddy.
The second weekend of august I do not have my kids. Would love to come down and see my DFW friends

The second weekend of august I do not have my kids. Would love to come down and see my DFW friends

I think we are on the same kiddo schedule, that would work for me I believe.

Think I can help with lodging for you northerners.

I'm still working that tee box issue. Everything else today was throwing darts... Maybe I should take you up on that x flex driver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still working that tee box issue. Everything else today was throwing darts... Maybe I should take you up on that x flex driver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anytime you want to give it a test drive, you can have at it.

OK after a great weekend with THP friends I was thinking about setting something else up. July is over and August is just to dang hot and I have a bunch to do anyway before Sept. 1st so I was looking at Sept. 13th. Two weekends before the Bridgestone Championship so it will be a good tune up weekend before we leave. This is where I think we should go

The%2BCliffs%2Bresort.jpg

The Cliff's Resort.....anyone interested?

Bumping this

Glen Garden could be shutting down:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/05/19/5831210/glen-garden-where-byron-nelson.html?rh=1#

If you haven't played where Hogan and Nelson learned to play, not to mention, Sandra Palmer, Jackie Burke and a few others, you better do it soon.

City Council approved the rezoning. I don't know a closure date yet.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/07/15/5973140/a-proposed-whiskey-distillery.html#

Glen Garden History: http://www.glengardengolf.net/course/about.html
Glen Garden was established in 1912 and is one of the oldest country clubs in the city of Fort Worth. Some of the greatest players have played at Glen Garden and players like Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan and Sandra Palmer all got their start on our links

The History
Hogan1.jpg
Hogan2.jpg
As 1 of the 2 country clubs in Fort Worth, the facility was frequently used for family outings. Golf was very popular which gave rise to the need for a caddy. In the early 1920's a caddy could earn $1.00 for a round of golf. This attracted Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson who learned to play the game on sand greens. At age 15 Hogan and Nelson played their first head to head tournament. The annual caddy championship was won by Nelson over Hogan on the final hole of a nine hole playoff. Nelson who was famous for his chip shot stymied Hogan preventing him from making his par putt.
Hogan3.jpg

Sandra Palmer of LPGA fame lived by the number four tee box and the club allowed "little" Sandra to skinny under the fence and hone her game in the evenings. During the 1940's Glen Garden was host of the Texas Invitational and the Texas State Open Tournaments. It is also where Byron Nelson won the last of 18 tournaments during his record year in 1945. Byron Nelson was quoted many times for stating the Glen Garden's back nine was the most unique golf layout in the world. It features two back to back par fives followed by two par threes and finishing with two par threes.

Doug, we need to go play Glen Gardens then soon!

I'm out of town Aug. 9-10th so I'm out for the golf.

Doug, we need to go play Glen Gardens then soon!

I'm out of town Aug. 9-10th so I'm out for the golf.
I am in on this also. Gotta see history before its gone.

OK after a great weekend with THP friends I was thinking about setting something else up. July is over and August is just to dang hot and I have a bunch to do anyway before Sept. 1st so I was looking at Sept. 13th. Two weekends before the Bridgestone Championship so it will be a good tune up weekend before we leave. This is where I think we should go

The%2BCliffs%2Bresort.jpg

The Cliff's Resort.....anyone interested?

1. 3BD
2. #cookie
3. Captdru
4. Baldguy

just signed Matthew (Yoda) and myself up for a scramble this weekend at my club. Not quite as exciting as the MC many of you guys are in this weekend, but it should be fun!

Anyone open to play Friday morning early?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back