Callaway X2 Hot Driver Preview

Check out the link below, to the Epoch tee, sweet spot system, which I searched when I received my delivery if THP tees recently.
http://evolvegolf.com/sweet-spot-system/
Big difference between the tee heights for the XHot & X2 Hot.
I was out on the range Sunday evening and teed it up as suggested by the system. I hit 6 of 10 drives bang in the middle of the sweet spot, with the other 4 only ever so slightly off it. Definitely some merit to it.

Can an you buy these anywhere?

Same as the THP branded Epochs. You can buy them right here.

Great. Win/win. It's a great idea, too. Simple and useful.

Great. Win/win. It's a great idea, too. Simple and useful.

They were out of the store for quite a while and I just bought the non-THP version. Best performance tee on the market and it's not really close imo.

Interesting on the Tee height for my driver. Going to put them in at that height and see what happens.

That's way higher than I've been teeing it up. I'll have to give that a shot next time out...

I recently bought a Big Bertha, and I'm contemplating returning it for the X2 Hot (I have 30 days, with about 2 weeks left on that--they have a one-time policy where you can return a club you've hit). For some reason, out on the course the BB doesn't fill me with confidence. It may be because the actual clubface doesn't cover the entire front of the club like I'm used to. On the toe, there's a rounded section and the clubface doesn't start right out at the toe. The X2 Hot is similar, but the clubface does extend further. It makes no difference unless you really hit it out on the toe, which I haven't done yet--it's just odd for me at address.

But maybe the biggest issue I have with the BB is that I can hear that moveable weight channel whistling, especially if it's windy. I could get used to it, but hearing this on your backswing is distracting and gives the sense of drag on the clubhead. The channel also picks up blades of grass, mostly when I take practice swings in the rough at the edges of tee boxes. My big miss is a hook, and no setting of that weight has any noticeable affect on that.

I have a high-spin drive, though, and the BB might be better for that. In the simulator I routinely get between 3500 and low 4ks, and no amount of swing tinkering seems to change that (nor any shaft or driver head). In reality, though, I get similar numbers between the BB and the X2 Hot, both in spin and distance.

That said, I'm thinking of saving $120, getting rid of the whistling noise and the blades of grass, and potentially increasing my confidence at address by switching to the X2 Hot. I have, however, hit some nice drives with the BB (10.5*, currently set to 9.5* and getting lots of height). I prefer the silver face of the BB to the black face of the X2--too easy to scratch up the face. I also really like the stock shaft in the BB.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any similar experiences to mine, or stories of comparisons between the X2 Hot and the BB.

Check out the link below, to the Epoch tee, sweet spot system, which I searched when I received my delivery if THP tees recently.
http://evolvegolf.com/sweet-spot-system/
Big difference between the tee heights for the XHot & X2 Hot.
I was out on the range Sunday evening and teed it up as suggested by the system. I hit 6 of 10 drives bang in the middle of the sweet spot, with the other 4 only ever so slightly off it. Definitely some merit to it.

Can an you buy these anywhere?

They were out of the store for quite a while and I just bought the non-THP version. Best performance tee on the market and it's not really close imo.

epoch has been my go to for a year, but never knew they had this chart, and i know i Teed the X2 hot higher than that.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any similar experiences to mine, or stories of comparisons between the X2 Hot and the BB.

I compared the BB and X2 Hot among others. The BB is a nice club but I actually got more distance and consistency with the X2. I did think the BB Alpha was superior to the X2 but on sale I could buy two X2s for the price of one Alpha.

I do think the Alpha is the best club out there so far but the X2 is the best value, if that makes sense.

My advice is to try the Alpha before you commit.

Forget Bertha long, this thing is #internetgolfer long.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Forget Bertha long, this thing is #internetgolfer long.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

You sure did smoke one on 5 yesterday.

I compared the BB and X2 Hot among others. The BB is a nice club but I actually got more distance and consistency with the X2. I did think the BB Alpha was superior to the X2 but on sale I could buy two X2s for the price of one Alpha.

I do think the Alpha is the best club out there so far but the X2 is the best value, if that makes sense.

My advice is to try the Alpha before you commit.

Thanks for the feedback, katman. My impression is that the BB Alpha doesn't have the forgiveness of the other clubs, and that's a bit of a put-off for me. Forgiveness and low spin apparently don't go together very well, but I guess you can't argue with physics. I'm a little worried that even if I had a good day hitting it in the simulator, that it wouldn't always translate to great results on the course. Also, there's that price.

The only other club that's really in the mix for me aside from the BB and X2 is the G30 (also pricey). I really wanted to like the G30, but so far I'm only "meh" on it. I'll probably hit the X2 again soon--if it goes well I may make the trade away from the BB.

Drove one straight down the fw measured @ 322 yards. Was set at 11 degrees. Best shot so far with this driver.

Drove one straight down the fw measured @ 322 yards. Was set at 11 degrees. Best shot so far with this driver.
Tough to beat that...nice work

Thanks, I forgot I had it on 11 but it works well there.

I hit a playing partners X2Hot with stock Tour Blue in stiff flex today and absolutely smoked it. I thought I hit a good drive with my Titleist but the Callaway was 15 yards longer. The sound that this thing makes is atrocious but it gave me a definite feeling of "point and shoot". I tried it out before The King but I'm wondering if I was looking at it through Big Bertha colored glasses.

This is a solid driver, and provides distance in spades. (At least based on the 1 swing haha)

0258aee6a2bc8c2f0a054685cd710ec3.jpg

I like the X2 Hot for its low spin. I've tried the 913 and Big Bertha, but I get higher back spin and more side spin. Never got to try the SLDR (out of my $ range anyway).

My X2 Hot is setup in "D"/"S" at 10.5* with the stock blue stiff shaft. If it's dry and fairways are cut tight, I'll adjust loft to 9.5* to get more run. The sound takes some getting used to. I didn't like it at first, especially when demo-ing but I can't argue with the results. I'm hitting drives straighter and longer. The driver won't fix swing flaws but put a good swing on it and you will get good results. I'm pleased with this driver because every once in awhile, I get 300+yd and I love that feeling of walking off the tee box after launching one. It just seems to put me in a good mood for the round.

Last edited:
I hit a playing partners X2Hot with stock Tour Blue in stiff flex today and absolutely smoked it. I thought I hit a good drive with my Titleist but the Callaway was 15 yards longer. The sound that this thing makes is atrocious but it gave me a definite feeling of "point and shoot". I tried it out before The King but I'm wondering if I was looking at it through Big Bertha colored glasses.

This is a solid driver, and provides distance in spades. (At least based on the 1 swing haha)
I like the sound, because it provides a ton of feedback. Hit it low on the face, and that's what it sounds/feels like. Put it out on the toe, and it provides good feedback. It's loud, sure, and a bit metallic, but good drives just have some awesome trajectory, it's hard to argue with those kinds of results.

Even if I didn't like the sound, I'd love this driver for its spin characteristics and the #InternetGolfer distances I get from it. I was averaging about 280 yesterday, at 2000' elevation and some humidity in the air. It's just such a boomer. I run it at N/S settings, and just blast this thing with a nice 5 yard fade.

I'm having a bit of a slump with the driver right now. Have a Fiji Pro 63s / X2hot 10.5 combo right now and it is hook / pull city for me. Can't get any loft on shots. Thinking of buying a tour blue stock shaft and tipping it 1" and trying that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a bit of a slump with the driver right now. Have a Fiji Pro 63s / X2hot 10.5 combo right now and it is hook / pull city for me. Can't get any loft on shots. Thinking of buying a tour blue stock shaft and tipping it 1" and trying that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. My miss tends to be a hook or pull hook, too. Unfortunately, low and left (assuming you're right handed) most often means a closed club face. I tend to release the club a bit early sometimes--I need to keep practicing to hold on--and that's when I get the hooks. Sometimes I can get away with calling them big draws. A low, hard hook for me generally means I've severely hooded the club through impact. If you're getting low hooking shots and it's because you're hooding the club face, sadly there probably isn't a shaft that can fix that. A shorter shaft might help make it easier to keep square, though.

X2 hot kicks my sldr out of the bag. I played a round with this driver in vegas after the sldr had already been purchased. Hit the driver very well on that trip. Recently I was in golf galaxy and they had it brand new for $165. I bought it, put it back in play and this driver just wants to go straight. I didn't have the best contact, but it just seems to be so forgiving. Launches high for me. I am playing with the 9.0 with aldila tour blue. If it starts launching too high, I will experiment and crank the loft down.

Back