Dicks lays offs all its Pga Pros

TNTCigarguy

2014 #THPMC @TntCigarguy
Reaction score
Handicap
Cigars
I never really understood why Dick's bought golf galaxy and then continued running large-scale pro shops within their other retail stores. In many cases, the retail stores are within blocks of the Golf Galaxies. Near me, Dicks is literally across the street from golf galaxy.

doesn't make much sense from a business perspective to begin with.

they actually cited "the decline of Tiger Woods" as part of the reason for their suffering profits. There might be some truth to it... but man, what a cop-out. I wasn't a big fan of the store to begin with, but the in-store PGA pro concept was one of the few things that they had going for them. I don't think I'll be spending much more of my money with them.

That's a massive layoff. Also doesn't look too good for Dick's (and possibly golf galaxy)

Bummer. I hate to see people lose jobs.Taylormade tidbit is certainly interesting as well.

That is terrible. I wonder if they will cease to do club work and repair soon and just focus on selling new stuff.

wow, that is terrible. That is a very strong reaction to their declining sales.

That sucks. We don't have a Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith anywhere near, closest Dicks is almost an hour away as is, and only have one or two small golf shops around as well, so Dicks was a place to go. Although if the one near me had an actual PGA Pro, I never saw or talked to him. Everyone who worked in the golf section basically just restocked, tried to sell you the best and most expensive, and get you out as quick as possible.

Still sad though for all those pros

Never was impressed with dicks selection of equipment

Man that's rough. I feel bad for the guys that lost their jobs.

It is aweful. I feel for those employees.

When we get past the unfortunate human side of this I think there are some underlying elements that really become interesting for the industry. 2% reduction in driver sales but 16% reduction revenue...excess inventory after buying all of TM's driver lines...products not holding their value (i.e., release cycles). It appears a host of maunfacturing choices have real impact at the retailer level. People like to complain about the release cycles - which actually are good for the consumer - but the rubber may meet the preverbial road as it impacts retailers.

From the article:
""We are selling drivers in our stores this spring for $99 that were approximately $299 20 months ago," Dick's CEO Ed Stack said after announcing earnings on May 20."

Got to be talking about the Jetspeed

I enjoyed my conversations with my the local golf pro at Dick's. He regripped a couple of putters for me, and did a couple of wood reshafts too. Guess I'll need to get a shaft puller now, or bring it to the PGA Superstore or Golfsmith in Myrtle Beach, which is a pain in the rear end, especially at the height of the tourist season. Thanks to you guys I feel comfortable doing most of the grunt work myself now, but there are a few things I'd still rather not do myself (reshafting woods being the primary one).

Bummer. I hate to see people lose jobs.Taylormade tidbit is certainly interesting as well.

That is interesting. Very interesting. It almost felt like some finger pointing.

Both Dicks and GG have the PGA pros in the stores here and both stores the PGA Pros are completely useless. Not a big loss IMO overall.

From the article:
""We are selling drivers in our stores this spring for $99 that were approximately $299 20 months ago," Dick's CEO Ed Stack said after announcing earnings on May 20."

Got to be talking about the Jetspeed
or any other driver that was new 20 months ago... that's two seasons old. I thought that bit of the quote was odd. It seems like drivers that have been on the shelves for 20 months *should* be selling for 66% off. At least that's what I commonly see pretty much everywhere.

I never really understood why Dick's bought golf galaxy and then continued running large-scale pro shops within their other retail stores. In many cases, the retail stores are within blocks of the Golf Galaxies. Near me, Dicks is literally across the street from golf galaxy.

doesn't make much sense from a business perspective to begin with.

I'd guess the idea is hit golfers where they are--the "typical" Dick's shopper is the occasional golfer who is in there buying new cleats for their kid, and might as well pick up a dozen balls or a new wedge while there--whereas the "typical" GG shopper is clearly there for golf gear only.

I may be off base..but that's how I'd imagine their strategy was. Now, I can see them directing all non-"off-the-shelf" golf purchases across the street to GG. They have too many outlets between DSG and GG to stock with enough product to meet the dwindling demand.

I can imagine that TMAG would be bothered by being called out as a "reason" for this layoff. Wonder if there will be consequences.

Both Dicks and GG have the PGA pros in the stores here and both stores the PGA Pros are completely useless. Not a big loss IMO overall.

It's a huge loss for the really good PGA Pros that lost their jobs.

If they purchased heavy on the Jetspeed line I think they need to look at the analysts they are employing. You could smell a dud from a mile away with that line.

The PGA Pros at Golf Galaxy at least give lessons. I've never been to a Dick's that has a lessons area

That's really crappy news.

Man o man... awful news for those folks.

Bad news for the industry
In the articale i hate how the keep saying fired it was a layoff not a firing hopefully they got a little bit to help them change jobs

Back